Phantom 4 Pro Internal Battery

Reaction score
Why couldn't DJI put an internal battery inside the drones and it's only job is to save the settings and gps signal when changing batteries? That way we wouldn't have to wait on everything to reboot and gps to lock back in when changing batteries. As soon as the fresh battery is inserted, it would recharge the internal battery while the drone is powered up and flying. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that would be pretty cool.

Good idea! Some car dealers and service centers use a device to plug into a car's accessory jack or "cigarette lighter" jack to maintain the vehicle's memories in various components such as radio stations. The drone battery could be a small button cell which would cost little and weigh very little. Let's hope DJI is listening.
Jim
WA5TEF

Good idea! Some car dealers and service centers use a device to plug into a car's accessory jack or "cigarette lighter" jack to maintain the vehicle's memories in various components such as radio stations. The drone battery could be a small button cell which would cost little and weigh very little. Let's hope DJI is listening.
Jim
WA5TEF
A button cell won't do it. Power consumption of a P3P at idle is around 15w. Even 250mah of 4s lipo would be 50 grans, that's over a minute of flight time penalty just to account for the weight.

I don't think the drone would need to be kept idling, just keep the circuits necessary to maintain memories.
Might require some rethinking on DJI's part but they could utilize the money they saved in not providing "customer service" to fund this!
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: gyrex
No need for a battery to achieve that. You could save settings on the SD card, but that is not enough as devices need to initialize. If you wanted to do it quickly you would need to keep some components in a mode like computer sleep. Interesting idea but does require weight for an extra battery, but then the question is: is this the best feature to add if we are reducing flight time?

I basically was referring to the startup and gps lock in. Sometimes it takes a while on my P4P. It would be nice if it was ready to go as soon as a new battery is put in.

I don't think the drone would need to be kept idling, just keep the circuits necessary to maintain memories.
Might require some rethinking on DJI's part but they could utilize the money they saved in not providing "customer service" to fund this!
Jim
WA5TEF
That will not serve the OP's desire to have GPS fix active and to avoid waiting for the self initialisations at power on.

Why couldn't DJI put an internal battery inside the drones and it's only job is to save the settings and gps signal when changing batteries? That way we wouldn't have to wait on everything to reboot and gps to lock back in when changing batteries. As soon as the fresh battery is inserted, it would recharge the internal battery while the drone is powered up and flying. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that would be pretty cool.
Best way to achieve that is plugging in an external battery or power source, like airplanes do, in the mean time you change batteries.

It only needs a power plug, connected to the internal circuitry and battery to plug cable adaptor.

Hey Dji, keep track on this... ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl