Phantom 4 Pro + Integrated Screen query.

I really like the P4P+ but it just has bugs and the bugs will get worked out in time. I am OK with that. The main reason I ordered the basic controller is just to have the option for both.

I really like the P4P+ but it just has bugs and the bugs will get worked out in time. I am OK with that. The main reason I ordered the basic controller is just to have the option for both.
I assume the the only vendor for the basic RC is DJI? I'm not too enthused about the 5 week wait time.

I Ordered mine 15 days ago and it just cleared my PayPal account on the 30th. It could be they cleared it to get the money in for 2016 or it will ship this week. I would guess you would need to buy from DJI like I did.

Okay, just realised another slight point to hang on to the P4P+ is that the HDMI output is built in.

Am I correct in thinking that for the standard controller this would need a add-on module?

However a major concern right now is the repeated reports of app crashing with various glitches etc.

Totally agree. I had the app stop responding on a flight yesterday --- got some error message saying the DJI app had stopped working, but was still able to control the P4P with the sticks. I landed, power-cycled the controller, did the exact same flight and didn't have a problem. BUT, I have been flying in a very controlled manner and won't be taking this out in the wild with this controller. Waiting for the regular P4P controller to arrive and will hopefully have more confidence in that set-up.

Just tried a couple of different things.

1) Powered the controller then turned off the integrated screen. Plugged in an iPad using the USB port on the controller. Result: no connection. Disconnected the iPad and turned on the integrated screen and got the same message as before (no media files to share). Couldn't get the DJI Go display on the integrated screen, so I cycled the power on the controller. When it powered on the integrated screen connected to the P4P.

2) Powered on the controller then turned off the integrated screen. Plugged in an iPad using the micro USB port on the controller. Same result as above.

Unless I am doing something wrong --- a distinct possibility --- I don't see how to use DJI GO (4) on an iPad connected to the P4P+ controller.
At this time (until DJI changes it and allows the controller to be a slave to an external DJI GO App) the only way to connect an external screen device is via the HDMI, but you still have to use the DJI GO App on the controller & not your own.

Reactions: azgeek
Totally agree. I had the app stop responding on a flight yesterday --- got some error message saying the DJI app had stopped working, but was still able to control the P4P with the sticks. I landed, power-cycled the controller, did the exact same flight and didn't have a problem. BUT, I have been flying in a very controlled manner and won't be taking this out in the wild with this controller. Waiting for the regular P4P controller to arrive and will hopefully have more confidence in that set-up.

I was informed yesterday that if the DJI GO App crashes during flight one need only hold the display (on/off) button (located on the top of the display) down. You will be given the option to reboot the DJI GO 4 App. This permits the Phantom to remain connected to the controller and still flyable while you only reload the DJI GO App. I gave it a try this afternoon and it works perfectly.

At this time (until DJI changes it and allows the controller to be a slave to an external DJI GO App) the only way to connect an external screen device is via the HDMI, but you still have to use the DJI GO App on the controller & not your own.

Thanks, Cap'n.

FYI...if I had it to do all over again I would not have bought the +. Screen is too small, laggy and I truly do not notice that much of a difference in brightness when compared to flying my Mavic with iPhone 7+. I will be ordering an additional RC from DJI for $300+ and 4 week wait time.
You could save yourself $600 and 4 weeks by just buying a P4P and returning the P4P+, unless you bought directly from DJI. If you did, lesson learned the hard way. Buy from a reseller like B&H with a 30 day return (it was up to 60 days on Dec 1 with extended holiday returns until February 1!) , who also doesn't charge your CC until they actually ship.

Hmmm, now I am thinking of cancelling and re-ordering the straight P4P. There are 2 things stopping me:
2. In some earlier posts, the P4P+ controller is referred to as Crystalsky. I realize that the real Crystalsky are standalone boxes, but if the smaller one is 5.5" and 1000cdm2 then isn't likely that it is the same display and app. as the P4P+ controller? It gives me a bit of confidence that the bugs will be fixed as basically the P4P+ and Crystalsky will have a common software platform.
Decisions, decisions!!
Rather than reassuring me, this concerns me. The Android programmers at DJI are clearly second string, as the Android version has always had more problems than the iOS version. I thought that would change with DJI created Android hardware on the P4P+. Alas, the dedicated P4P+ DJI GO 4 Android version is still buggier than the iOS version, and the iOS version has already had two updates, while the P4P+ screen has yet to receive even one! :eek: This does not bode well for the future of the Android CrystalSky tablets! :rolleyes:

The inflight Android operating system message of, "DJI GO 4 has become nonresponsive. Close DJI GO 4?” is about as bad as it can get! :eek:

Tip: Powercycle the screen/tablet ONLY, by pressing on the power button on the upper right of the screen, to reboot the buggy, dedicated DJI GO 4 app, while retaining full control with the transmitter during the reboot. Takes about 15 seconds, and it will restore it. Still won't fix the laggy video display and the cluttered tiny screen, and the bugs that cause the app to freeze! :rolleyes:

Reactions: azgeek
The inflight Android operating system message of, "DJI GO 4 has become nonresponsive. Close DJI GO 4?”
Tip: Powercycle the screen/tablet ONLY, by pressing on the power button on the upper right of the screen, to reboot the buggy, dedicated DJI GO 4 app, while retaining full control with the transmitter during the reboot. Takes about 15 seconds, and it will restore it.

Yep, that sound like the message I got yesterday. Thanks for the tip about switching off the display only. Still, if this happens again I will land and then fix while safely on the ground. No need to tempt another software glitch. :eek:

Yep, that sound like the message I got yesterday. Thanks for the tip about switching off the display only. Still, if this happens again I will land and then fix while safely on the ground. No need to tempt another software glitch. :eek:
On mine, it happened while I was in full screen mode (about the only way the tiny 5.5" screen is usable) , so I didn't notice it, until I couldn't swipe up, to get the telemetry back. The video feed continued so I kept going, and eventually flew it back by FPV, hovered it in front of me within reach, and rebooted the screen, which restored all the telemetry and the correct video time length (it had been frozen on the full screen view), and I kept on flying until the battery was too low. I would now confidently reboot the screen with the aircraft out of sight, if this ever happened again, just like when the iPad itself would crash on older firmware or the app would crash, and you still have full RC control, so just hover until it reboots. The key is not to panic. Be patient, and make sure it doesn't happen at a critical battery level! :eek:

I hear all the comments and concerns re: the P4P+ display, everyone pretty much hit it all, the good & the bad - I personally love it. Great resolution, super bright, touch screen is super accurate and responsive, dedicated device with excellent battery power so doesn't tie up your tablet or phone, etc. etc. Perhaps a little small (same size as iPhone 7 Plus), but all the +'s (no pun intended) outweigh the minus' by far. It's not perfect, but nothing is. I still say go for it!

Glad to hear others have the P4P display working ... it keeps crashing when I hit GO FLY every time. I've updated everything to latest and it was of no help.

Am I doing something wrong? I would never buy the built-in display again considering it was basically dead out of the box ...

While ive had to deal with app crashes, i dont crap my pants when emergencies happen so I calmly reboot the controller. While im feeling a little silly about not being able to use 3rd party apps at the moment, I feel like that is a matter of time. Still dont have a fraction of the problems others seem to have. Screen size isnt tiny to me i can see everything just fine, But I have a background with tiny embedded screens, so maybe im just more used to it.

'The Android programmers at DJI are clearly second string, as the Android version has always had more problems than the iOS version.'

As a software engineer, thats hilarious. So many things inbetween point a and b, but hey, lets **** on engineering!

Yeah ... I keep rebooting it and that doesn't help either. The control sticks work but since the App crashes, there's no video or any advanced features to flying the P4P with the built-in screen right now.

While ive had to deal with app crashes, i dont crap my pants when emergencies happen so I calmly reboot the controller. While im feeling a little silly about not being able to use 3rd party apps at the moment, I feel like that is a matter of time. Still dont have a fraction of the problems others seem to have. Screen size isnt tiny to me i can see everything just fine, But I have a background with tiny embedded screens, so maybe im just more used to it.

'The Android programmers at DJI are clearly second string, as the Android version has always had more problems than the iOS version.'

As a software engineer, thats hilarious. So many things inbetween point a and b, but hey, lets **** on engineering!
It is more likely allocation of resources by DJI itself, but the result is still the same. DJI has always prioritized iOS versions, and improvements and bug fixes seem to happen much faster on iOS versions than on Android. With a dedicated Android device of their own making, and CrystalSky tablets on the horizon, one would have thought that Android would receive more priority from DJI, but there is still no update for the dedicated Android P4P+ DJI GO 4 version, while there have already been at least two for DJI GO 4 on iOS for the P4P. The proof is in the pudding.:cool:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3