phantom 4 pro - ideal aberture camera ?

Reaction score
good afternoon.
I have some difficulties, to hit the most suitable opening for videos with my drone.
I do not have much nitides videos
I usually write like this:
4k- 24 fps
iso-100
shuter speed -50 (some times automatic)
aperture f-6.3 ...
I use ND filters
a bigger aperture is better ... like f-8 or f-11?

I would be interested in other people’s opinions on this as well. I have heard some you tubers claim 5.6 for depth of field, but the fact is dof is determined by several factors. Aperture is one of them. But so is focal length, distance to subject and sensor size.

At 24mm and a distance of 50 feet and a 1” sensor even f2.8 the dof is incredibly large if not infinite. So I just use the aperture to set my exposure. I don’t think there is an ideal f-stop for this lens, unless your looking to sharpness, there is a sweet spot for every lens for sharpness, I have not discovered it for this lens yet.

We use the same settings as you - adjusting the aperture (and strength of ND/PL filter) - according to available light. Usually, we slightly underexpose a scene at either -0.3 or -0.7. We mostly film with the higher f-stop numbers.

We use the same settings as you - adjusting the aperture (and strength of ND/PL filter) - according to available light. Usually, we slightly underexpose a scene at either -0.3 or -0.7. We mostly film with the higher f-stop numbers.
Thanks for your reply . I forget Say ... my Drone is phantom 4 pro . Normaly for filming i fly around 40/50 metros hight. Nest days I try others apertures values , for test...but i Think higher f stops number best image quality...less f stops Numbers (2.8 ) is for filming more closer to ground 5/10 metros.
Is this correct ??

Last edited:
No that is not correct. The aperture is the hole in which light enter the camera. The smaller f-stop number is actually the larger hole, the larger the f-stop number the smaller the hole.

So basically in darker conditions when you want to increase your exposure you would use lower f-stop number. In bright conditions you may need a larger f-stop number to decrease the exposure. All this would be in concert with your filters to maintain the shutter speed you want.

You will notice a sharper image at higher f-stop numbers, typically, although the difference at 50 meters would be negligible, if noticeable at all.

No that is not correct. The aperture is the hole in which light enter the camera. The smaller f-stop number is actually the larger hole, the larger the f-stop number the smaller the hole.

So basically in darker conditions when you want to increase your exposure you would use lower f-stop number. In bright conditions you may need a larger f-stop number to decrease the exposure. All this would be in concert with your filters to maintain the shutter speed you want.

You will notice a sharper image at higher f-stop numbers, typically, although the difference at 50 meters would be negligible, if noticeable at all.
OK.
thank you for the explanation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair