phantom 4 pro filters

My stock filter is going to be one of those that's difficult to remove.. I just tried and couldn't get it to budge using just my hands. If and when I need to, I'll use cushioned channel-locks, which is what I had to do a year ago with my P3P.

But, unlike with my P3P, I'm not in a big hurry to get ND and/or PL filters for the P4P. The P4P is handling bright and reflective conditions a lot better than the P3P ever did.

Edit: I just took the stock filter off (I had to use pliers), in order to measure the thread diameter. It's 33mm, a non-standard photographic size, so I don't know of any pre-existing filters on the market that would fit. Sooner or later, someone will make filters that are less expensive than the Polar Pro filters, as has happened with previous Phantom models.

Last edited:
I can't wait for my filters. Went out today. 4K 25P, 1/50, ISO 100, f2.8. It was a cloudy day and the sky was completely blown out. I jumped to 4K 50P, 1/100, ISO 100, f11 just to get decent exposure.

My OSMO on the other hand handled like a champ with the ND16 on.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

1st timer here for P4P (will be making a spring purchase):

...just to clarify: some owners are having a he*l of a time unscrewing the "stock 1st element filter" glass on their P4Ps, correct? So, what is this 1st piece of stock glass? Is it an ND2 (0.3) or something, to protect the (more) expensive element under it? Or, is it an (optical density) 0.0 ? Also, are there any (or better, will there be any LOL) continually variable ND filters available for the P4P ?

...also, just me thinking out loud...do extra screw on lens elements on the P4P introduce "excess" torque on its gimbal (but I suppose that the gimbal is already exposed to huge wind forces anyway whilst flying...so a moot point)...?

what is this 1st piece of stock glass?
It protects the camera lens and reduces the level of ultraviolet light. I'm not sure there is any benefit to the latter.

do extra screw on lens elements on the P4P introduce "excess" torque on its gimbal
You should hold the camera while removing/installing the filter. If you're doing that, there should be no excessive torque on the gimbal.

It protects the camera lens and reduces the level of ultraviolet light. I'm not sure there is any benefit to the latter.

You should hold the camera while removing/installing the filter. If you're doing that, there should be no excessive torque on the gimbal.
I think he means any extra weight on the gimble from whatever ND filter we screw on to our lens Msinger. And as for that the manufacturers of these filters I'm sure have kept the weight to whatever specs the gimble motors can handle. Never had a problem with Polar Pro filters causing any issue on my P4. But holding the camera to unscrew filters would be the way to do it for sure. Mine have always come off pretty easy.

I think he means any extra weight on the gimble from whatever ND filter we screw on to our lens
In that case, it's a non-issue if using screw-on filters. Some of the push on filters tend to be a little heavy, but they seemed to work out okay for other Phantom models.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Thanks for the info and mounting tips. So, that stock 1st threaded element is perhaps just a UV filter, it appears.

Kind of a drag PolarPro was saying shipping by the end of December and now today receiving the email from them saying Jan. 19th! Not thrilled but what can you do...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures