Phantom 4 Pro drops like stone!

Reaction score
After finally receiving profound apologies from the DJI dealer and eventually the correct replacement controller for my P4, I tested it, listed it and quite quickly sold it on eBay for over A$900 which I was delighted with.
Meantime I had acquired a used P4 Pro in excellent condition from the same source. A few days ago, whilst taking off on my sixth flight, at around 15ft the drone abruptly stopped and dropped like rock onto the road below. What a truly horrible and heart stopping sound it was, the sound of plastic hitting concrete!
I was engaged in a paid real estate job at the time but fortunately the client was not around. I retrieved what looked like a pile of plastic waste from the road after a rotor and the battery had detached itself (there’s a clue here!)
Both top and bottom shells damaged including a nasty crease in one arm and a broken rotor. On first inspection I was convinced that this birds flying days were over for some time. However I changed the rotor, pushed some joints back together and installed the battery to see if it would show signs of life. Much to my amazement it responded in all areas with no apparent damage to camera or gimbal! After some low level testing (over grass) I was able to take off and complete the mission and obtain the required photos.
When I bought the drone, it was supplied with an after market, non genuine battery. I noticed early on the battery didn’t lock into place with just the usual push and required the clips on the battery to be depressed to fully lock. My best guess is that prior to this ill fated flight, the battery was not completely locked in position and lost it’s connection during take off, resulting in the fall onto the road. Apart from dumping this battery, I’m really not sure where I go from here. Replacement of both shells (here in Australia at least), I’m sure would be horribly expensive. Perhaps just replacing the drone would be the way to go? Your comments (and commiserations) are welcome 😢.
621FE605-0E91-454D-80D0-0E50BB5D13CE.jpeg
A2918A80-F978-4729-879A-24AFD35D58FC.jpeg
6C7364C4-7289-4E08-868A-E0DA2F2A0DA9.jpeg

Check around locally for drone parts might be a shop that would have what you need maybe eBay to and your not trusting the battery is what I think caused it to

Replacement of both shells (here in Australia at least), I’m sure would be horribly expensive. Perhaps just replacing the drone would be the way to go? Your comments (and commiserations) are welcome 😢.
Sourcing the parts isn't a problem:
I've had to replace a shell due to cracking and the cost of having an expert do the work wasn't too bad.

Reactions: dronesky
Replacing the shells is a process that take a bit of skill. Hardest part as I recall is soldering the wires back to the ESC board. I think each individual wire strand is coated. After knowing that and cleaning appropriately, a good joint can be made. I don’t think I’d do it for someone else for less than $200. Shells I think were in the $100~$150 range. Best of luck with your decision

I've replaced shells on P4 and P4P in US. Not difficult with correct drivers and a little soldering skill. Not expensive repair that took about 2-3 hrs each as long as lower shell with gimble/camera attached is ok.That is the expensive most valuable part. Complete P4P without bottom end available on eBay for few hundred US.

Upper shell seems to be readily available. The lower shell, at times, is a bit more difficult to find.
With that hard of a hit, possibly some motor issues may be present. It would not surprise me if the gimbal has something a bit out of place, but hard to tell by posted pictures. Possibly the yaw arm may be bent. I have had someone tell me they crashed a P4 and claimed the camera was fine. After a closer inspection, the yaw arm was certainly not the same as new.
Look again to be sure.

Reactions: Capt KO
I woukd think your commercial insurance would not have covered an accident if you flew to finish the job and caused real estate damage with the drone being in that condition (preflight inspection and all). However I feel your pain and wish you luck. I’ve changed gimbals/ cameras but never the whole shell!!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the suggestions and comments, your combined knowledge will certainly help me in making a decision. After Easter and it’s associated festivities, I’ll likely have stopped mourning and be able to make some constructive decisions 😉
I think another extensive test flight first to better access all the damage and then decision/$$$ time 🤔.

After finally receiving profound apologies from the DJI dealer and eventually the correct replacement controller for my P4, I tested it, listed it and quite quickly sold it on eBay for over A$900 which I was delighted with.
Meantime I had acquired a used P4 Pro in excellent condition from the same source. A few days ago, whilst taking off on my sixth flight, at around 15ft the drone abruptly stopped and dropped like rock onto the road below. What a truly horrible and heart stopping sound it was, the sound of plastic hitting concrete!
I was engaged in a paid real estate job at the time but fortunately the client was not around. I retrieved what looked like a pile of plastic waste from the road after a rotor and the battery had detached itself (there’s a clue here!)
Both top and bottom shells damaged including a nasty crease in one arm and a broken rotor. On first inspection I was convinced that this birds flying days were over for some time. However I changed the rotor, pushed some joints back together and installed the battery to see if it would show signs of life. Much to my amazement it responded in all areas with no apparent damage to camera or gimbal! After some low level testing (over grass) I was able to take off and complete the mission and obtain the required photos.
When I bought the drone, it was supplied with an after market, non genuine battery. I noticed early on the battery didn’t lock into place with just the usual push and required the clips on the battery to be depressed to fully lock. My best guess is that prior to this ill fated flight, the battery was not completely locked in position and lost it’s connection during take off, resulting in the fall onto the road. Apart from dumping this battery, I’m really not sure where I go from here. Replacement of both shells (here in Australia at least), I’m sure would be horribly expensive. Perhaps just replacing the drone would be the way to go? Your comments (and commiserations) are welcome 😢.
View attachment 123868View attachment 123869View attachment 123870

I walked into my local hobby store to get some bits and pieces for my cars.and found the guy there replacing shells.
He was charging $100 to do it.
Not sure where you are in Oz but this was in Rockhampton QLD.
Ultra Hobbies is the store.

A loose or faulty battery may not have caused your crash. Sudden-loss-of-power is an issue with P4s. I've had three (different) drones crash for that reason. The battery is often ejected on impact, whether or not it's properly fitted.

• Wow
Reactions: AussieCate
I’m on my 2nd p4p and in 1000s (commercial 107 here) of flights never had a single power failure. I think he said it was after market battery. I always use OEM as I’m sure my insurance carrier would not pay up if I had an accident using non-OEM stuff. I have killed 3 or 4 batteries (started to swell) so took out of service and bought new or new old stock from various sellers and have never had an issue. The OP said he was doing commercial job so just food for thought.

The OP is flying(or was)a P4P, not a P4. Would you be able to provide a link to the information you are referring to?
My sudden-loss-of-power experiences were all with a P4P. As to my claim of it being an 'issue' - DJI have never stated as such in my dealings with them. One of the crashes was with a near new drone - which DJI replaced under warranty after reviewing the flight data.
As well as my own experience, it has happened to other pilots, many of whom have posted about it in this forum and elsewhere on the internet. There has got to be something amiss.

As well as my own experience, it has happened to other pilots, many of whom have posted about it in this forum and elsewhere on the internet. There has got to be something amiss.
I read more reports than most and I haven't seen anything that indicates there's a particular issue with the P4 pro.

I read more reports than most and I haven't seen anything that indicates there's a particular issue with the P4 pro.
There seem to be many occurrences of P4Ps falling out of the sky. You've seen people posting about them to this forum, and you've even looked at their flight data. Since my first such crash I've taken care to insert my batteries correctly... and some of my crashed drones have still had the battery firmly in place post crash. My crashes have occurred both with older drones and with a near-new drone.

What do you think is going on?

Other Phantom models or other DJI models?
Post the flight logs of the three that you’ve had crash. I’m sure one of the members or a mod here in the forum would be happy to analyze them to see if there’s a common thread in your issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl