Phantom 4 Charging Hub

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I purchased a DJI Phantom 4 charging hub and attempted to use it for the first time today. Following the instructions in the manual I went to the DJI website and searched for a firmware update but did not find any. So, knowing that I would not be using the P4 for about a month I decided to use the storage feature on the device. My understanding was that in doing this it would bring the fully charged batteries down to 50%. After 3 hours all 3 batteries stayed fully lit (green) and after unplugging the unit the batteries indicate that they are all fully charged. Did I miss a step? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Neil

Hi everyone,
I purchased a DJI Phantom 4 charging hub and attempted to use it for the first time today. Following the instructions in the manual I went to the DJI website and searched for a firmware update but did not find any. So, knowing that I would not be using the P4 for about a month I decided to use the storage feature on the device. My understanding was that in doing this it would bring the fully charged batteries down to 50%. After 3 hours all 3 batteries stayed fully lit (green) and after unplugging the unit the batteries indicate that they are all fully charged. Did I miss a step? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Neil
Welcome and unsure on charger like that I not have one,,but just my advice here for anyone storing is to keep battery's charged only cause I had a new p4p discharge below 2.2 volt,(multimeter) and charger won't recharge even if left for days on charge,,I did this and volts increase to 2.32volt now flying or not I'm charged...
Battery in my case need jump start from different charger to get the volts back up before the dji charger will charge them again

Welcome and unsure on charger like that I not have one,,but just my advice here for anyone storing is to keep battery's charged only cause I had a new p4p discharge below 2.2 volt,(multimeter) and charger won't recharge even if left for days on charge,,I did this and volts increase to 2.32volt now flying or not I'm charged...
Battery in my case need jump start from different charger to get the volts back up before the dji charger will charge them again

All charge regulators for LiPo batterys use total voltage detected as the factor to decide cell count. This brings in default failures when cells are pushed to too low figures and that total can drop into the lower next cell count. This is a problem that regular Rc LiPo users occasionally find and then we resort to individual cell charging in turn on NiCd / NiMh mode to get each one over the 3.0V threshold. Once we have each cell over 3.0V - we terminate NiMh mode and revert to LiPo mode at the cell count applicable.

The usual DJI charger is a 'dumb brick' .. a simple regulated Constant Voltage device which relies on the 'intelligent battery control board' to monitor / control charging termination. Unlike the general RC lipo I mention in first paragraph.
This system is unfortunately why it can prove difficult to bring a DJI battery back up from excessive discharge. The boards have a minimum cut-off figure which is based on total voltage (cell number x average 3.0V) ... so you can see that if you have for example on a P3 battery less than 12V detected - the board may refuse to allow charger access to the cells ... why you have to switch on the battery to try and bypass the default cut-off and hope it works.

Hi everyone,
Assuming that you are using the genuine DJI 3-battery charging hub for Phantom 4:
  • Did you move the switch on the side of the unit from CHARGE to STORAGE?
  • 3 hours is not nearly enough time to discharge the batteries. It is a very very very slow process. Did I mention that it is slow? It will take DAYS to discharge the batteries. Just plug them in and walk away. Come back after a few days and the batteries should be right where you want them for storage.

Reactions: jephoto

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31