Phantom 4 and Mapping App Issue

Reaction score
I have been using my Phantom 4 with Map Pilot, Pix4DCapture and DroneDeploy and cannot get satisfactory results from any regarding image capture.

Once I create my grid the Phantom usually takes pictures at the required locations for the first 1 to 2 lines of the grid and then afterwards it will not capture the images correctly, just sporatically in all remaining lines of the grid. For example, the first line may capture 25 images at the correct spacing but the remaining lines will only have 4 or 5 images captured when they should also have 25.

This is a constant issue. I have all firmware up to date and I use an iOS device which is up to date as well. This is very frustrating and I cannot get any answers from the developers of the Apps.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am having a similar issue with Maps Made Easy. Drone flies to first corner, creeps slowly while climbing, in 3 tries, picture count varied from 2 to 14 pics.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have just tried the DJI GS Pro app and I have the same results as with all other capture apps I've tried, it took pictures for the first line of the grid until 3/4 the way through then became sporatic with captures, then it completely missed the next 2 lines of the grid and started capturing at the last line. The last line was captured fine until 3/4 the way through where it became sporatic again. Can it be my Phantom 4 as I have now tried, Pix4Dcapture, DroneDeploy, Map Pilot and DJI GS Pro with similar results for all apps.

What altitude are you trying to map at? I have trouble at 100 ft, but when I go to 200Ft or more the pattern is flown correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I flew at both 200 and 97 feet today with the new DJI GS Pro app and neither elevation worked. What app is it you have trouble at 100 ft with?

Had trouble with Map Pilot at about 100ft..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was using Map Pilot great for awhile, would not have any issues with it, but then it suddenly stopped working for me as well, frustrating. I sent the Map Pilot creators an email but they never responded.

I have not used Map Pilot with my P4. I have used Pix4DCapture and Litchi.

With Pix4DCapture, I have had some issues with spacing of images using the 'Fast' mode. I contribute that to the controller signal, but who knows. However, using the 'Safe' mode, which is uploaded to the drone at the start of the mission, I have found that the spacing of the images is very regular and predictable. The down side is that it stops the drone at each photo, which extends the mission flight time considerably. But I do believe it gives better results.

I have not flown grid missions with Litchi, but the 'Waypoint' missions seems to work well as long as I properly set images interval times, based on altitude, overlap, and flight speed.

From what I understood using Safe mode in Pix4Dcapture was supposed the upload waypoints for image capture to the Phantom so it would stop at each waypoint and initiate a picture capture. I tried that as well and the Phantom does stop at each waypoint but it still does not trigger the image. I thought it was controller signal as well so that's why I tried Safe mode, but I never go further than a few hundred feet from the Phantom when using the capture apps.

I have been using my Phantom 4 with Map Pilot, Pix4DCapture and DroneDeploy and cannot get satisfactory results from any regarding image capture.

Once I create my grid the Phantom usually takes pictures at the required locations for the first 1 to 2 lines of the grid and then afterwards it will not capture the images correctly, just sporatically in all remaining lines of the grid. For example, the first line may capture 25 images at the correct spacing but the remaining lines will only have 4 or 5 images captured when they should also have 25.

This is a constant issue. I have all firmware up to date and I use an iOS device which is up to date as well. This is very frustrating and I cannot get any answers from the developers of the Apps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Higher elevation is key. I have used DroneDeploy several times and have had the best images/maps at 200ft. At first I thought flying lower would give the best maps, but soon discovered the photogrammetry software has issues processing the images. I have heard the complexities of all the close-up elevations and depth-of-field are too much to process the closer to the ground the images are taken.
The sweet spot is about 200ft. Nevertheless, reach out to DroneDeploy or check out Ian Smith/ Commercial DroneFM podcast for great map making insights.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Higher elevation is key. I have used DroneDeploy several times and have had the best images/maps at 200ft. At first I thought flying lower would give the best maps, but soon discovered the photogrammetry software has issues processing the images. I have heard the complexities of all the close-up elevations and depth-of-field are too much to process the closer to the ground the images are taken.
The sweet spot is about 200ft. Nevertheless, reach out to DroneDeploy or check out Ian Smith/ Commercial DroneFM podcast for great map making insights.

Thanks for that. My project processing with my photogrammetry software is quite good and I am getting good results, but my main issue is getting the correct number of images with sufficient overlap to process from the collection apps. I figured DJIs GS Pro would give me better image collection results but I have the same issue with that app as well. Yesterday I had only two lines of my 4 line grid have images collected and even those 2 lines collected were not complete.

I just tried Pix4Dcapture again after the latest update and my Phantom 4 would start the mission rotated and would continue to rotate as it was capturing images along the first line of the grid. I would cancel it and I tried three times and each time it started the mission rotated at the same degree and would continue to rotate as it flew the line.

Thanks for that. My project processing with my photogrammetry software is quite good and I am getting good results, but my main issue is getting the correct number of images with sufficient overlap to process from the collection apps. I figured DJIs GS Pro would give me better image collection results but I have the same issue with that app as well. Yesterday I had only two lines of my 4 line grid have images collected and even those 2 lines collected were not complete.

In DroneDeploy while setting up the grid/flight path you can select "Advanced" and increase the frontlap and sidelap (70% for both). This should increase the amount of images dramatically during the flight. I hope this is a good fix for the issue and not a bigger issue for your platform.

In DroneDeploy while setting up the grid/flight path you can select "Advanced" and increase the frontlap and sidelap (70% for both). This should increase the amount of images dramatically during the flight. I hope this is a good fix for the issue and not a bigger issue for your platform.

Thanks again but the issue I am having is the apps are not initiating the image captures. If I have a four line grid, I may get most of the first line, sporatic image captures of the remaining lines, it is like that for all apps I've tried.

There is a new setting in Pix4D mapper that is called "Look at Grid's Center". It is under the gear icon, upper right, either YES or NO. I made the mistake of using this on one grid mission. Essentially, it rotates the drone toward the center of the grid as it makes each pass. I am not sure what the purpose of this function is, especially with the camera in nadir, pointing straight down. I am sure there is a purpose for it, but how does it properly compute overlap if the camera is rotating all the time? The results I got from that mission were nearly worthless. Make sure the "grid center" option is set to NO, and see if that helps.

There is a new setting in Pix4D mapper that is called "Look at Grid's Center". It is under the gear icon, upper right, either YES or NO. I made the mistake of using this on one grid mission. Essentially, it rotates the drone toward the center of the grid as it makes each pass. I am not sure what the purpose of this function is, especially with the camera in nadir, pointing straight down. I am sure there is a purpose for it, but how does it properly compute overlap if the camera is rotating all the time? The results I got from that mission were nearly worthless. Make sure the "grid center" option is set to NO, and see if that helps.
Excellent advice. I have been asking Pix4D support directly and they did not mention this to me, you think it would have been their first suggestion if it is an option in their app. I did see this setting in the newest version but also did not know what it meant. Thanks for the advice, sounds like that was the cause of my rotating issue.

This feature exists for you to survey buildings or structure by using a regular grid and not manual mode.

Beyond that, I've been having all sorts of trouble with newer versions of pix4d not triggering lately...

The Pix4D Support got back to me and confirmed my issue was the look at grid centre setting, I have since turned it off but have not yet had a chance to test it. I now understand the look at grid centre setting is to focus on a building or structure but how does this really work without a circular flight pattern? If the building is in the middle of the grid how does the drone avoid it? Maybe it's simple but I haven't tested that yet.

Also, are you using the Phantom 4 with your image triggering issues? Everyone I talk to that uses Pix4D capture with Phantom 3's say it works perfectly but I have only had troubles with image triggering and it not working correctly.

Thanks for explaining the purpose of "Look at Grid Center" option. It makes sense for 3D mapping of buildings, using camera angles less than 90 degrees.

I have not experienced many problems with Pix4D on my Phantom 4. I try to use Safe mode when possible. Fast mode sometimes produced unsatisfactory image spacing. However, the P4 still captured the images. So image triggering has not been a problem.

Thanks for explaining the purpose of "Look at Grid Center" option. It makes sense for 3D mapping of buildings, using camera angles less than 90 degrees.

I have not experienced many problems with Pix4D on my Phantom 4. I try to use Safe mode when possible. Fast mode sometimes produced unsatisfactory image spacing. However, the P4 still captured the images. So image triggering has not been a problem.
Good to hear on your image triggering. I have downloaded a couple of new autonomous apps that I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20