Phantom 3 Standard Range Extenders

Reaction score
I got a Phantom 3 Standard for Christmas and would like to know what's a good range extender to get that works. I see all kinds being advertised on the web and don't know what I should get..Thought to ask here to all the forum members who know what works and what does not. Any info appreciated. Thanks..

It's still in the box.Haven't had the time to play with it yet.The weather was crappy around Christmas but a mild spell is here now and the snow is gone.I live in the rural route,farmland with not many trees close around.

Have you ever flown a phantom ? If not your best bet is to stay away from long range and get comfortable 100% with having a 500$ bill floating in the air ;) Get used to all functions so if something does go wrong you're equipped with the knowledge to handle it. I have a stock P3S until Tuesday when my ArgTek arrives, I'll let you know about the distance difference I get from stock to that mod, Welcome to the Forum ! USE IT AND YOU WILL HAVE ALLL THE KNOWLEDGE YOU NEED!!

Reactions: Necroscope and NIK1
I'm new to the P3s but have done quite a bit of research on this. My advice is to first try it stock and see if that suits your needs. Rural farmland is ideal for very long range with a stock set-up. After that I would first try a windsurfer; they're only about $3.29 shipped to the US from China, and require no mods to the transmitter which void warranty. If that doesn't work good enough for you then spend $60 on an ArgTech kit and modify your transmitter. That's the second least expensive option (DBS antenna is the third). Battery capacity will then be the limitation on range. There are several threads already existing on this subject so I would suggest a search on this forum.

Another option is to use Litchi for mission planning. I'm not yet comfortable flying out of line-of-sight but I will probably spring for the ArgTech when my warranty period ends.

Reactions: Necroscope and NIK1
Windsurfer helped me gain 4 to 5 hundred feet generally speaking and as stated above I would definitely try that first to see if it suits you.

Reactions: NIK1
Thanks for the info.I will fly her around,buzz some wild turkeys by the bush and get used it first.By the way,whats a good tablet mount to put on the controller.I picked up a Ipad 2 mini tablet with cellular.

I'm new to the P3s but have done quite a bit of research on this. My advice is to first try it stock and see if that suits your needs. Rural farmland is ideal for very long range with a stock set-up. After that I would first try a windsurfer; they're only about $3.29 shipped to the US from China, and require no mods to the transmitter which void warranty. If that doesn't work good enough for you then spend $60 on an ArgTech kit and modify your transmitter. That's the second least expensive option (DBS antenna is the third). Battery capacity will then be the limitation on range. There are several threads already existing on this subject so I would suggest a search on this forum.

Another option is to use Litchi for mission planning. I'm not yet comfortable flying out of line-of-sight but I will probably spring for the ArgTech when my warranty period ends.
I don't think you can get better advice than this TBH.

I have a windsurfer, it helped, but not enough. My argtek is being delivered next week.

Happy flying.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NIK1
Hi,

If you want to increase your range in a very simple way, I would advice you to simply apply the Papatita (Magic Power) mod.

It's free, quick, simple and does not require any hardware modification. It's a 100% software modification which basically boosts the strength of the wifi 2,4 Ghz signal (so for the video signal).
Everyone who tried (including me) are very satisfied with the result.

As an example : I nearly went further than 300m before the mod. After the mod, I've never had the balls to push my bird to its limit, but I've already reached 600m (which is way enough for me!!) without any loose of signal.

Julien

So the Papatita (Magic Power) mod increases the video range as well as the Wi-Fi range. I might try that for shure this weekend. Thanks for the tip...

Magic power ONLY increases the video, which is on 2.4ghz (WiFi). The bird is actually controlled by 5.8ghz.

There are many "range extender kits" out there for the Phantom 3. ARGtek, ITELITE and FPVLR are the only 3 to really even consider. Use the SEARCH function on here and on YouTube..... you'll find an abundance of information on each type.

I have heard very mixed reviews. I got the ARGtek, but did not get too much of an increase in range. However, I live in a high density urban area and have not tried it away from wifi signals. I was disappointed in the results after I installed it, so I opened my controller back up to see if all connections were good. I ended up accidentally severing a wire on the controller (not for antenna)... If anyone has any idea for how to fix it, please check out my other post. I think the ARGtek would be a good investment if you plan on flying outside of major cities

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It makes really no difference if you have crowded airwaves ... unless you can bump up the power.

Second - all these software mods only bump up the 2.4ghz video wifi ... they do nothing for the 5,8ghz control signal.

Third most people lose VIDEO before control - so the power increase on 2.4Ghz video is worth it. If only to have control and video at similar range.

I was getting 600 - 700m range as stock in semi urban skies. I fitted the Argtec and bumped power up to 27dbm and now enjoy well over 1500m and on occasion when pushed I get over 2000m.

I'm happy enough with that.

Nigel

Thanks for the reply! how do you raise the power? I am very unexperienced with this kind of thing, but I want to learn what I need to get the most out of what I have
But just to be clear, as far as my current antenna set-up goes, I don't need to change anything?
Thanks again!
-Thomas

I got my ARGTEK today and installed it. Went for a flight here at the house where I normally get 1200-1400 ft, Went 2311 and got nervous but I believe it has more. For my first test I would say the ARGTEK made a big difference here in the county.

Has anyone tried both the ArgTek and the ItElite mods?
Has anyone tried the Argtek with Sunhans boosters?

I got a Phantom 3 Standard for Christmas and would like to know what's a good range extender to get that works. I see all kinds being advertised on the web and don't know what I should get..Thought to ask here to all the forum members who know what works and what does not. Any info appreciated. Thanks..
Hi like u iam a new flyer and found that u should back up ur phone when using the drone with one of thos fast chargers that u can get pretty cheap these days.i find that signal reception is better with the back up connected to the phone than with out

What do you mean by back up your phone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Ii do start outvwth my phone fully charged but it doesn't take long to significantly reduce battery life and if its a older ph with lots of appps and things the battery drain could be even faster so I keep my phone connected to a small battery charger that will fit with phone on the remote and after flight drone batt done phone still has full charge and bin able to fly drone to as far a I could see it in a heavy wifi zone by my house maintaining solid signal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.