Phantom 3 standard poor performance

@Ellis Hughes

So on one thread you said "However once I cancelled RTH"
We are assuming it did a RTH automatically.
Yes RTH kicked in automatically

On this thread you said "My main issue I run into is "weak transmission signal" followed by "signal lost" and these will only last about 2 seconds before returning to full signal but they will keep losing signal every 10-15 seconds and it doesn't stop."
I'm assuming you think or know RTH is going to activate?
Yes I think I presume RTH is about to kick in but then full signal will return and this will just occur over and over at around the 300m path with perfect line of sight and no buildings / interference's for miles

On this thread you said "but the video feed will be choppy." Live video?
Yes the live feed on the app

Usually signal problems are not both Video / Remote control problems together.
Same thread "When signal lost I can't control but it will regain within a second or two so rth doesn't kick in."
RTH is not kicking in, or you think it will eventually?
I think it will if the drone doesn't regain signal, usually after I get a full "signal lost" it will take a few seconds before setting itself to return to home

Do you loose your telemetry?
No I can still see it, sometimes the video feed is still good but there isn't any control over the drone when signal lost
When you play back your flight logs, are they every split in more than one?
I'll have to have a look :)

Rod :)

@Ellis Hughes

Should have keep updating your first thread, Now everybody is trying to tell you what you have already been told.

To the others.
Lost signal before max 500m

So, the Standard should perform whats on the box in clear air, chances are spending time and money on mods is not going to fix it.
I would like somebody to prove me wrong.

Rod
I agree the standard should perform what's on the box, although everyone will have a different experience, unfortunately I seem to in the middle of good experience and bad. At least I'm not one of the guys that loses signal within 100m as I would be extremely disappointed.

Your problem is still clear as mud.

#1 Do you loose your telemetry?
#2 When you play back your flight logs, are they every split into more than one?
#3 Do you ever get weak image message?
#4 Can you upload your flight log to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Rod

Have you checked on the maximun distance restriction on DJI GO app?
Sometimes when I fly within the city limits and it´s performce it´s not good, because there´s a lot of interference with all the tall buildings so the controler lose signal and my phantom returns home by itself, but I have tried a couple of times in rural areas and have reached about a mile.
Just keep in mind you are flying in a clear area with no so many big obstacles

Have you checked on the maximun distance restriction on DJI GO app?
Sometimes when I fly within the city limits and it´s performce it´s not good, because there´s a lot of interference with all the tall buildings so the controler lose signal and my phantom returns home by itself, but I have tried a couple of times in rural areas and have reached about a mile.
Just keep in mind you are flying in a clear area with no so many big obstacles

Yes I have mine on 500m max for the UK set in GO app
I switched to an Argtek antenna in the last few days and managed to hit 500m distance and 200m height which is much better than the 300m distance and 100m height before losing signal.

Your problem is still clear as mud.

#1 Do you loose your telemetry?
#2 When you play back your flight logs, are they every split into more than one?
#3 Do you ever get weak image message?
#4 Can you upload your flight log to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Rod
I never lost telemetry
Yes I received weak image message
I haven't checked the logs but I have now switched over to the Argtek antenna kit and I can hit the 500m max alt with no issues so I am now happy with my 3S :)
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
I've had my P3S for a few weeks now, I have managed to get a fair amount of flight time and have flown in many different areas. However, no matter where I take it it will never get further than 250m now, I managed 350 on my second flight but have never managed that since. I must say I am extremely disappointed in it's performance, I can't even get half of DJI's advertised distance. I have asked previous questions on this forums and received advice on obtaining optimal distance and none of it seems to have helped.
This seems to be quite a common problem in the 3 standard, I just wish I could go back a few weeks and pick up the Advanced instead.
I have the same drone and I get the distance that is advertised. I have been almost a mile away and still had signal but decided that was far enough and turned around. No upgrades. Make sure you are not still on beginner mode.

I flew my p3s 2400 ft. out of the box. it was across a lake in a rural area. very pleased with the distance , altitude was around 250 ft.
Likely the range was augmented by the water which seems like it would be a good surface for signal reflection and propagation. I'm out here in the desert and no such luck.

Even with a range extender the max I get is around 2500 feet, so maybe half a mile at best.

When I made this thread I was getting 1k feet max, now with the Argtek kit I am getting around the 2k feet mark.
But most importantly no loss of signal and no video feed dropouts. £40 to fix this issue and improve range was well worth it.

Reactions: Neon Euc and RodPad
When I made this thread I was getting 1k feet max, now with the Argtek kit I am getting around the 2k feet mark.
But most importantly no loss of signal and no video feed dropouts. £40 to fix this issue and improve range was well worth it.
where would I purchase the Argtek kit. I'm very new at this hobby and a lot to learn,

where would I purchase the Argtek kit. I'm very new at this hobby and a lot to learn,
Are you in the UK ?
If so I got it from ARGtek DJI Phantom 3 Standard WiFi Signal Range Extender Antenna Kit 10 dBi Omni | eBay
It's the same kit posted on argteks website : Outdoor CPE, Wlan USB Adapter Manufacturer - ARGtek Communication Inc. Limited

It's an easy install simply pop off the old 3 wires and pop on the new ones and seal them off with some hot glue.
My 3S went from 350m with drop outs to 600m out with no issues so I am very happy with the kit.

So, now that you have managed to reach the magical UK 500m limit, be honest can you really see your Phantom? If I drop my eyes to look at the pretty images on my phone, it takes me a wee while to find my dot of a drone in the sky. Yet without looking at the video screen I have no real idea how close to that distant line of trees I have flown.
Highest I have flown mine is 1081ft, naughty of me being in the uk and we regularly have a guy flying his autogyro around here. Nightingales are easier to spot than a Phantom at 1000ft up.
No fancy mods and doodads, latest firmwares.

Learn what your Phantom can do first before adding gadgets, you might be pleasantly surprised. Just stay away from built up areas and power lines to maximise your signals. A lot of signal problems are down to your phone trying to latch on to Mrs Jones' home wifi network rather than sticking like glue to the drone, especially if its an iphone. Oh and as people regularly point out on here, keep the body of your tx antenna flat to the drone not pointing at it.

So, now that you have managed to reach the magical UK 500m limit, be honest can you really see your Phantom? If I drop my eyes to look at the pretty images on my phone, it takes me a wee while to find my dot of a drone in the sky. Yet without looking at the video screen I have no real idea how close to that distant line of trees I have flown.
Highest I have flown mine is 1081ft, naughty of me being in the uk and we regularly have a guy flying his autogyro around here. Nightingales are easier to spot than a Phantom at 1000ft up.
No fancy mods and doodads, latest firmwares.
Honestly no I can't see the drone from that distance but I only really fly over mountains and forestry so if anything were to happen it would just end up in a bush somewhere :)

Jealous, it is scarily flat in this part of the world. Fields, drainage channels and wind turbines is about all we have :(

Blimey - you want to see Latvia. Just like East Anglia ! They had to man-make the hill to create the Bobsleigh run !
I love Slope Soaring but no chance here !

But we do have picture post card winter forest scenes which i hope to be able to capture when i get back home.

Nigel

I purchased a HTC ONE mobile device for my P3 STANDARD and DJI GO says it is not compatible. But, on my list of recommended devices it is highly recommended. Any advice please?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT