Phantom 3 Pro + iPad mini 1 = video lags

Reaction score
I have a P3 professional with ipad mini 1 and here is my problem:

cIDMGIp.jpg

I updated P3 and RC up to latest firmware.

How it can be solved?

Demo:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
iPad mini 1 with ios 9.1

BTW it works well on my phone with android 4.4

Last edited:
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Take a look here at the list. You should be good to go. There are also some suggested settings for the device floating around here. Do a search and see if you have it set correctly. ;) Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | DJI Phantom Forum

I have an iPad mini 2 WiFi and it works perfectly.

I have it dedicated to only the MRs I fly. No extra apps. I keep it clean. Currently 9.1 ios.

I do use custom settings in HD menu ch 20 and 4mb/s if I start to see lag. And I have hardware decode selected.

I keep it in airport mode when I fly and only the GO or whatever app I am using to control the P3P. Just running lean like this keeps the iPad running cooler. If it heats up it will drop frames of video. I also have a hood that has the back of the iPad completely open, this helps cooling as well, it puts a ⅛" space even where the RC clamp meets the iPad. I think this helps a lot.

I currently run the latest FW and app, but I had no problem with the 3 earlier ones either. I cache my maps with WiFi or I use my iPhone as hotspot on location. Then go to airplane mode.

Also make sure you are pointing the antennas in the correct way, there are tutorials online about this.

The iPad Mini 1's processor is too slow. You'll need at least an iPad Mini 2 -- or another Apple device that has an A7 (or higher) processor.

I have a P3 professional with ipad mini 1 and here is my problem:

cIDMGIp.jpg

I updated P3 and RC up to latest firmware.

How it can be solved?

Demo:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Mini 1 is really not powerful enough to work well. Up until about 4 weeks ago, the GO app would not even download to a Mini 1. I expect that to be corrected so that downloads to a Mini 1 are again disabled as they always had been before.

I would guess that even a best case scenario is that you will have lag, perhaps reboots, and not much of a positive experience overall. My suggestion for a much better experience would be no older than the Mini 2.

Last edited:
Wow I couldn't even make my iPad Mini 1 to work with the Go app to start with! Used my Air until last week when I got a Mini 4 which is perfect, lightweight and fast.

I have an iPad mini 2 and still have video issues. Not sure how to fix this issue, if there is one?
Any advice would be great. Thanks

It is a setting in the Go app... top right corner tap the three lines, then the new window tap the bottom 3 dots, then it is the first camera setting.

I had the same problem, so I invested in a Mini 4 with Cellular to have the barometer and true GPS as I use the Autopilot app sometimes and plan to write my own iOS app for some specialized filming.

The only issue I have now is that the screen is not bright enough in the sun (even with a shade cover). Otherwise I'm happy with the choice knowing I won't ever need to upgrade, since I've already got the latest/fastest processor for the mini.

True. I don't think that even 100% brightness setting on iPad is good enough for mid day light with sun shade.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31