Phantom 3 parachute

Jav

Reaction score
Hi has anyone here fitted a parachute to there phantom. If so which one have you put on and have you had any false deployments. Thanks all

Parachutes are definitely a newbie question.

Parachutes are practically impossible on a drone as small and inexpensive as a Phantom. It's really hard to find a place to mount one --- on top there is very little space in between the props, and you wouldnt wanna block the GPS antenna. On the bottom, there's hardly any room between the landing gear. The weight alone would probably cause overload warnings as soon as you took off.

Sadly, the only remedy for a falling Phantom is to cry some tears and watch it plummet to it's death. Whip out the ole credit card and buy a new one.

Reactions: vaughn1976
I'm far from a newbie. I have been flying rc planes helicopters and drones. Copters for more years than I wanna remember. It's a fail safe that's all. They weigh so little it's not going to bother my drone at all. That's after reading all the good and bad about them. I would rather be safe than sorry.

What Jiggly said. Even if it deploys there is still likely damage done on impact.

Reactions: Seaman
I'm far from a newbie. I have been flying rc planes helicopters and drones. Copters for more years than I wanna remember. It's a fail safe that's all. They weigh so little it's not going to bother my drone at all. That's after reading all the good and bad about them. I would rather be safe than sorry.

There could be some simple design of a parachute system under 1 lb. --- that would still reduce flight time to a degree.

Mounting it is the hardest challenge --- Phantoms are engineered well to get maximum performance out of the smallest space. A larger hexacopter or octacopter has more room on top for a parachute system, and also the increased cost of the bird justifies a rescue apparatus. I shudder when thinking about trying to pilot a $100,000 custom camera drone on a film set :eek:

Look at the MARS system. You will have to use the short propellers. Quite pricey too. It looks like it could help a little from what I have seen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1