Phantom 3 customization

Reaction score
I figured it would be cool to get a thread full of pictures of what people have done to there phantom 3 to give others ideas of how to make there's different from stock...,

I used the krylon fusion matte black.

I could have spent more time on it but it turned out pretty nice.

To be honest. *dont cringe*
I removed the camera and gimble. I removed the vision sensor on the bottom and that's about it.
I split the top and bottom and painted separately.
Top was no problem and the bottom all I did was tape off the wires for the vision sensor, camera and motors.
I just put the bottom section with the electronics facing down on a cardboard box and sprayed away. There was a little overspray on the circuit board but it was all on the component side so I wasn't too worried. I'm sure I could have taken a lot more care to protect stuff but I was more concerned with not getting it back together than a little overspray! All in all it looks really good and still flys with no issues.

Hardest part was the 4 pins that come off the circuit board for the vision sensor. Other than that it was about 24 or so screws and splitting the top and bottom was a pain cause it feels like your gonna break it!

Got a few more touches to add to the top in a few days to add some more white to it all I'll update with pictures hopefully Wednesday.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437494002.591655.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437494165.869498.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437494185.787836.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437494212.156544.jpg

Reactions: SteelGator
Looks nice. I think if (and that's a BIG if) I were to paint mine, it'd have to be some sort of bright color so I could spot it better in the sky.

Looks sharp thanks for sharing the photos.

I figured black would be better to see against a light blue or cloudy sky. I also left the vision sensor cover white to give it some contrast as well.

Looks great, how much time did you spend doing this ? It is NOT a 15 minutes labour for sure...

Looks great, how much time did you spend doing this ? It is NOT a 15 minutes labour for sure...

I spent about a hour tearing it apart Friday afternoon, then about 2 more hours painting. Let it sit and dry the whole day Saturday and Sunday and about another hour on Monday putting it back together

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437575082.411508.jpg
Full customisation work in progress, but being in the middle of nowhere and working 14 hours a day doesn't help progress! The plan is to have something nobody else has, including physical modifications to the shell [emoji3]

New here, and planning on getting my own Phantom 3 here in a couple weeks. But ive been considering taking the upper and lower shell to one of the gun stores in the area that does Cerakote coatings on firearms. There's usually some pretty cool patterns available :D

It would definitely be one unique looking phantom lol

Attachments

• tmp_26687-CKPXLJEWgAA9PYw726551271.jpg
    tmp_26687-CKPXLJEWgAA9PYw726551271.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 615
That kryptek camo pattern would be awesome. I know cerakote is for guns and is usually baked on so that would not work well for the phantom body. They do have templates for spray kits but I looked into those and it sounded like way to much work!

That kryptek camo pattern would be awesome. I know cerakote is for guns and is usually baked on so that would not work well for the phantom body. They do have templates for spray kits but I looked into those and it sounded like way to much work!

You can actually air cure cerakote as well, instead of baking. It's not as tough as baked, but it's about as tough as duracoat, if not a little more. Which speaking of toughness... I wonder if that would help with preventing stress cracks

I got a quote for Water Transfer Printing from a store here in town , they want $400 to do my Phantom 3 lol

There are DIY kits available.
I know I'd need at least two since I'm sure I'd screw the first one up.

I'd be interested to know how much weight that adds, that stuff is pretty dense. it's going to add at least a few grams
That's a good point, and I was thinking about that last night myself. Good thing the replacement shells seem to be pretty cheap lol.

And nice jeep!

Still on the fence about painting my P3P but I did dye the majority of my props.

2015-07-25 06.55.34-2.jpg

I used Rit liquid dye. The top "red ones" were done with Scarlet and the bottom ones were with Cherry. The "black" ones were done with black but they look like a really deep blue even though I left them in the dye for a while.

The ones with the colored tips were originally white with red tips but the black dye changed their color.
Interestingly enough, those red tipped props have metal hubs. Has anyone here had any experience with those? These are all genuine 9450 DJI props.

As you can see, the bottom set took a spill at one point:( but still work fine.

2015-07-25 06.56.25-2.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20