Phantom 2 wanting to land all the time

Reaction score
My Phantom 2 wants to land as soon as I get it airborne, the battery is fully charged and I have updated firmware to the latest version.

I start the drone as normal, and it lifts, but after roughly 10 seconds the lights flash red and it starts to descend, any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yea. None of that battery health data is 'under load'.
Flashing red lights is the confirmation.

You didn't mention but storage should be at 30-50% charge.

Yea. None of that battery health data is 'under load'.
Flashing red lights is the confirmation.

You didn't mention but storage should be at 30-50% charge.

This is the screen shot from my laptop showing battery status,

Attachments

• IMG_4533.JPG
    IMG_4533.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 412
Kinda meaningless for this situation.
You have an old battery in terms of age to date and/or likely not stored properly which exacerbates failure.
Time to replace it.

Kinda meaningless for this situation.
You have an old battery in terms of age to date and/or likely not stored properly which exacerbates failure.
Time to replace it.

Ok thanks for you help, I'll buy another and try that.

Why not try turning off your "go home" feature and just hover at a safe altitude to see if your battery does actually fail? (this is probably a really janky so possibly not worth the risk)

Why not try turning off your "go home" feature and just hover at a safe altitude to see if your battery does actually fail? (this is probably a really janky so possibly not worth the risk)

His problem has nothing to with the GoPro's wifi. It was more likely poor battery storage practices after looking at the battery reports.

His problem has nothing to with the GoPro's wifi. It was more likely poor battery storage practices after looking at the battery reports.

Who said anything about the GoPro's wifi? I always assumed that it's the "go home" feature is what causes the Phantom to fly home when it reaches a low battery %. My suggestion is to force the battery to run down without giving it the option to land. That way he can test if it's his battery giving a false indication of being low or whether the battery is actually on the verge of failing.

Who said anything about the GoPro's wifi? I always assumed that it's the "go home" feature is what causes the Phantom to fly home when it reaches a low battery %. My suggestion is to force the battery to run down without giving it the option to land. That way he can test if it's his battery giving a false indication of being low or whether the battery is actually on the verge of failing.

Your right my misread your comment. While it's true about the go home function and critical low battery this was not the case the OP was having. Even though his battery was fairly new with only 6 charges they were not discharged to 50% for storage and that is evident in the battery readout that he posted.

The one problem i have with the go home function is that it works the same way failsafe works depending on the height limit. Say for instance the limit is set to 36m (118') and the P2 is under some trees it will crash into the tree branches above even if it's only in the air for a few minutes when it senses a critical low battery condition. Of course the same thing could happen if someone trigger failsafe under the same conditions.

Your right my misread your comment. While it's true about the go home function and critical low battery this was not the case the OP was having. Even though his battery was fairly new with only 6 charges they were not discharged to 50% for storage and that is evident in the battery readout that he posted.

The one problem i have with the go home function is that it works the same way failsafe works depending on the height limit. Say for instance the limit is set to 36m (118') and the P2 is under some trees it will crash into the tree branches above even if it's only in the air for a few minutes when it senses a critical low battery condition. Of course the same thing could happen if someone trigger failsafe under the same conditions.

I see what you mean. I must admit I don't know much about Phantom batteries. I've heard about storing them at 25% but no details on what length of time is considered "stored". I tend to leave my battery uncharged after a flight and then just plan ahead to ensure I charge it just before I fly it again.

PLEASE DISREGARD BELOW THE LINE AS WRONG INFORMATION

Through a coincidence of several errors I believed that my issue was a NFZ problem. The things that lined up to make me think this were too perfect. But through some helpful people on this forum, I realized that the actual culprit was indeed a bad battery as I had lent my P2 out with a fairly new battery, and it was returned with an older one.

So I apologize for the below rant. It turned out to be unfounded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just in case someone else comes across this as I did, this is most likely NOT a battery issue.

He's likely in an "Enhanced Warning Zone" as I found out when my P2 just about crashed into a creek after my friend borrowed my P2 for his vineyard management company and thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the firmware...

The Enhanced Warning Zones are no problem for anyone with a P2 Vision+ or higher, because you just tell the app, "OK" and take off, but the P2 doesn't connect to the app, so there is absolutely no recourse. DJI have been total a-holes about it, basically saying "Upgrade to a new drone and quit whining about how we broke your product, you idiot."

These "enhanced warning zones" are everywhere, around every building that has any kind of tall structure. You just cannot fly within city limits with the P2. I have been trying DESPERATELY to downgrade back to 2.0, but it looks like I'm stuck with finding a NAZA controller that still runs 2.0.

I'm a private pilot, I absolutely agree (while many don't) that restrictions need to be put in place to keep idiots from their own stupidity, but when they make a sweeping update that is reasonable for most people, but completely renders the minority's products virtually useless (except going out in the middle of complete nowhere) and then don't care even pretend to care the tiniest little bit, that ticks me off.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4