Phantom 2 upgrade

Reaction score
I bought a Phantom 2 package several years ago, that included an AVL58 5.8 ghz transmitter paired with an Elvid Skyvision monitor with built-in receiver.

I also got the hard case with custom foam insert.

I used to fly it with a Gopro Hero 4, which I still have.

I modified the controller to move the tilt from the lever on the back to a knob I added on the front. I bought a nicely designed hard plastic mount from a guy in England that attaches to the top of the controller, and onto which I can screw the Elvid.

I haven't used this rig in over 3 years but will need one for some shoots in Mexico later this year.

My question is, which if any of the above components if still functioning, would be compatible, if I choose to upgrade to a Phantom 3 or 4? (I know the batteries won't be.)

What about the spare prop blades?

Thanks for reading!

which if any of the above components would be compatible, if I choose to upgrade to a Phantom 3 or 4?
RC accessories would only match Ph3 Std, and that's barely an upgrade.
Hard case - not completely sure, but I think it might match.

What about the spare prop blades?
Useable for Ph3, though DJI says you can't use them. That's because of metal thread, which tend to unscrew with Active Braking.
I'm using these sometimes; but you must screw them extra hard to make sure they won't detach.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Thanks for the fast response. Have there been any developments since 2015 that would prevent me from using the Phantom 2 I bought then? I know a newer model would have many advantages, but I'm just a part-time pilot shooting stills and occasionally video largely for my own use. I was happy with the results I got with this rig and the Hero 4 I flew on it up until 2017, but I haven't flown it since then.

Are there any firmware updates I should know about?

Thanks for any heads up you care to mention.

If the P2 still works swap the camera to a Hero9 since you did the mods with the controller. Resale value would not he worth very much, and upgrading to a P4 or Mavic 2 is pricey and you dont get the cool screen.

Reactions: chascoadmin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers