Phantom 2 + motorcycle = interesting footage

Now you are in my realms... basically this is what I do.

You need more camera angles on the trumpy (nice bike- I always said the only other sled that stole my heart from the harley was a triumph) and especially one right behind the shift foot looking through to the road by the case... bitchin angle for sled shots.

The Phantom footage is shaky... and not that mine is much better (I'm working on it) but the Phantom can get much longer clips and have more drama if you lead the bike and yaw with it.

I dig the vid... and did I mention that is a sweet scoot? I like the way the guy is riding it like he stole it... balls of steel. :evil:

Thanks man,
It was shaky mostly because it was so **** windy that day. The Phantom was buffeting all over the place and I had to make little corrections to keep it tracking correctly. On calm days it is smooth as silk.

Good tips on the camera angles, I am going to make another video (this is my first one with the Phantom) and I will use what I learned here to improve the quality.

Amazing video, I love the editing style and use of your DSLR with the phantom

I'm curious to how you edited the sound of your bike. Either stock sound, or you had an iPhone on the other side of the road, or you are insane with cutting down wind sound but having the bike crystal clear.

The sound was the trickiest part! My friend has a stock Tiger exhaust that is not very inspiring. I have a Tiger 1050 with a pipe, so I went out the following day with a Zoom H1N and recorded my exhaust sounds by putting the recorder in a backpack. I then dubbed the sounds on top of the video footage.

cgreer00 said:
..., so I went out the following day with a Zoom H1N and recorded my exhaust sounds by putting the recorder in a backpack. I then dubbed the sounds on top of the video footage.

Resourceful... since you have a mate, then pick the best sounding sled, and get a rodemic with dead cat and mount to the other bike on the front fork... point it at the exhaust, and go for a ride while recording... that soundbite and reel will be used over and over again if you get all the dynamics for every occasion. That mic seems to pick up the sound of motors pretty well- even better than the usb Blue Yeti (which I will not strap to a motorcycle fork at 90mph thank you very much)

The fork is a bit shaky... but it works on smooth roads. You need to make a more solid mount on the frame for less incidental noise and bumps.

Now... while a Phantom could never carry a boom mic... I bet a 550 could... but it won't keep up with a trumpy :D

Yea, I think if you tried to get away with mounting a boom mic to a copter your sound guy would stab you in the eye! :lol:

Here are my thoughts. Only my opinion. Overall its not bad.

To add to the good comments you have already I would suggest looking at the pace of the cuts for the video. Right now you are taking away from some of the excitement you can build with a faster paced edit. Also the section of black towards the front where you get ready to show the bike moving for the first time is way too long. Way way too long. It goes on long enough that it interrupted the excitement of what comes next.

For sure look for replacements for the shots with too much vibration (wheel shot). A little shake can convey urgency and excitement. Too much an its hard to watch. One thing to consider as well is what looks good on a phone screen as far as frame movement will be WAY too much on a larger screen. Display venue matters when making those kind of decisions.

The shot out the front is beyond the dynamic range of the camera. Did you have the camera in ProTune mode? If not give that a try and see if it makes that one easier to handle. Also consider adding some ND filters on the GoPro to drop the shutter speed for those kind of shots. They will look much better with a lower shutter speed. Alternatively you can add some motion blur in post to the ground if your software allows. Subtle touches there but worth it to experiment with.

At around the 1:00m mark the Phantom starts to back up after flying forward. That is an unmotivated change in direction and takes away from the feeling of the image. Clip those frames out so the frame ends on forward movement of the camera.

Audio wise it is a bit uneven. If you have a chance to do some drive by sound captures shots with the bike I would recommend doing that. Set the mic on the road and drive by with a steady throttle and going though the gears. That will mesh better with the long overhead shot at about 1:08m. Also do NOT record engines in stereo. That is a sound no-no. If you do record in stereo sum it to mono in post and pan the sound as needed to create the people sound image to go with the visual one.

Good job. I agree with the comment re holding the black screen. If you have to wait for the beat then maybe start the track part way in and fade up the volume.

I think you did a good job on the sound. Having that external mic really opens up your options.

I look forward to your future efforts. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj