phantom 2 battery mod

Reaction score
I don't have the genuine dji phantom 2 battery, can someone help me make a lipo battery drone without the dji battery circuit? I beg you to help me

I don't have the genuine dji phantom 2 battery, can someone help me make a lipo battery drone without the dji battery circuit? I beg you to help me
Hello Trung, If you can open the case of the original DJI battery, you can replace the cells with those from another 3s battery.[or fit a complete 3s battery].For charging without the DJI battery circuitry, you will need to be able to access the balance charge connector of your replacement battery.

• Love
Reactions: trung
Hello again, Further to my previous reply, I should have added that with replacement 3s battery cells and access to the balance port ,you would now have to charge using a [non DJI] quality balance charger,with clips to the "power" terminals and then connection to the balance plug.

Hello Trung, I've received an email saying that you have replied to my previous post,but it is not in English,and it won't translate.I'm sorry,but I don't know what you are saying.Can you re-post in English?
Regards-Ian

The P2 battery reports as having 3 cells but i can say DEFINITIVELY that it actually has 6, 3 pairs of 2. What I dont know for sure is whether or not these "pairs of 2 cells" are in series or parallel and or how the battery control board reports the voltages of the individual cells. Here is what i do know about the P2 battery:
I've had them disassembled many times and there is definitely 6 distinct cells hard wired to the battery control board. Cell 2 (the center 2 cells of the 6) is wired electrically in an opposite polarity when viewed from above compared to the outer 2 cells to the battery control board. The P3 battery has 4 cells and while visually almost identical, its a very different unit in every way and should not be compared in any diagnosis to a P2 battery. So if you want to create a P2 battery using aftermarket cells along with an OEM battery control board I can likely help with a bit more testing.

The P2 battery reports as having 3 cells but i can say DEFINITIVELY that it actually has 6, 3 pairs of 2. What I dont know for sure is whether or not these "pairs of 2 cells" are in series or parallel and or how the battery control board reports the voltages of the individual cells. Here is what i do know about the P2 battery:
I've had them disassembled many times and there is definitely 6 distinct cells hard wired to the battery control board. Cell 2 (the center 2 cells of the 6) is wired electrically in an opposite polarity when viewed from above compared to the outer 2 cells to the battery control board. The P3 battery has 4 cells and while visually almost identical, its a very different unit in every way and should not be compared in any diagnosis to a P2 battery. So if you want to create a P2 battery using aftermarket cells along with an OEM battery control board I can likely help with a bit more testing.
It's a 3S battery,irrespective of the number of cells.The pairs are in parallel, and then the 3 parallel pairs are in series,to make it a 3S.

Hi I mean, I want to run phantom 2 with a lipo battery that goes straight into phantom2 without using the circuit of its smart battery.

So is there any way to hack it?
Not that I'm aware of. The P2 mainboard needs to communicate with the battery control board in order to allow proper start up and flight. I have tried powering the P2 directly with a power supply and I simply got solid red lights on the arms and no other functions.

Reactions: trung
Not that I'm aware of. The P2 mainboard needs to communicate with the battery control board in order to allow proper start up and flight. I have tried powering the P2 directly with a power supply and I simply got solid red lights on the arms and no other functions.

Hi me too bh it can't fly so I have to find a way to hack it with normal battery

If you can add some pictures please.

Here are 2 pics of a disassembled P2 battery, notice 6 distinct cells.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200430-143808_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200430-143808_Chrome.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 526
  • Screenshot_20200430-143708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200430-143708_Chrome.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 699
Reactions: Mickey-G
Hello Trung, If you can open the case of the original DJI battery, you can replace the cells with those from another 3s battery.[or fit a complete 3s battery].For charging without the DJI battery circuitry, you will need to be able to access the balance charge connector of your replacement battery.

Hi I did this mod and you have to charge your battery using the standard DJI charger through the smart board. The smart board knows how much power has been used and if you charge with a different charger the board will still show the battery as being low on power. Also the p2 battery gauge is calculated on the number of mah used so if you have a 7000 mah battery connected the drone will only use about 5200 mah max as this is the max size of the p2 battery. Hope this makes sense to anyone trying this mod.
IMG_1621702576.244440.jpg

Hi
Hi I did this mod and you have to charge your battery using the standard DJI charger through the smart board. The smart board knows how much power has been used and if you charge with a different charger the board will still show the battery as being low on power. Also the p2 battery gauge is calculated on the number of mah used so if you have a 7000 mah battery connected the drone will only use about 5200 mah max as this is the max size of the p2 battery. Hope this makes sense to anyone trying this mod. View attachment 122125

hi,

I just tried to reactivate my phantom 2 after many years. Of course my 2 genuine batteries are dead and I tried the hack. Everything looks fine regarding the cabling. the communication tool shows the voltage for the 3 cells, the total voltage and the current drawn by the phantom2. But I still have a voltage low error with red LED flashing on the drone, O% capacity on the battery as shown by the tool and my dji charger is not charging. 4 LEDs are flashing on the battery controller but nothing. Looking at the PCB it looks like I have another version that the one shown on the pictures. Any idea ? thanks guys

Attachments

• 20211120_103408907_iOS.jpg
    20211120_103408907_iOS.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 275
  • 20211120_103456428_iOS.jpg
    20211120_103456428_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 320
  • 20211120_103556778_iOS.jpg
    20211120_103556778_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 615
Weird. So the battery does power on but the capacity is at zero. I think it might have something to do with the battery board thinks the batteries are dead. Will the drone fly with the error?

If you hold down on the power button for like 10 sec it will start blinking and it will tell you the battery health. The power button will blink and if the battery is good all four lights will be solid. Also how bad where the battery’s when you pulled them out. Would they power on?

it is definitely something to do with the battery board. During whatever set of action between the hold down button, the reset jump (between the gnd and the reset plot on the board), I managed to get it work and I could see the percentage of charge at 93%, and the drone worked fine. But since I disconnected the LIPO battery to recharge it, I cannot find the configuration I went into to reset the board and make it think it was fully charge. really annoying. Both batteries where completely dead. I did the hack with a 4000mah LIPO. There is a procedure to make the board reset but cannot find it on internet...

Well, interesting outcome. I have recharged my batteries with an external charger and gave up at some point to reset the board and left my 2 modified batteries in a corner of the workshop and forgot about it. 1 month later with no conviction I pressed the battery button and to my surprise both were showing the remaining capacity (2 bars). Something I never managed to achieve after the Mod ! I recharged the batteries through the board with the DJI charger and it went through the full charge with no issue. I connected the P2 to my laptop and to my second surprise, the batteries were detected with all the right data !! It seems that after a while, the board connected to charged cells reset itself. I didn't try the drone yet. Will let you know in a week or 2 at the next opportunity. But at this stage everything look fine. Amazing

Following this thread with great interest. As Ozfafapiti, I too decided to resurrect my old P2, and of course both batteries were toast! So I've done the lipo mod and now have a pair of 2600mAh 3S batteries wired in parallel slung underneath the P2 and wired to the original smart battery board.

I have the same issue with fully charged batteries showing 0% charge on my FPV screen, and the main red LEDs flashing rapidly. I also have the same smart battery board as you Oz with 3 separate boards initially, one large one for the LEDs and switch, one for the main connectors and data pins, and the third that all the cells were connected to.

So, how can I get the P2 to believe the batteries are fully charged so I can fly again? Any help would be appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic