Phantom 1.1.1 flight times

I've heard it mentioned that for ever gram you are, over 1000 grams-you can subtract 1 second of flight time?
So as not to propagate "internet myth"...can someone confirm those numbers? In my case-at 1270 grams, it seems to be pretty darn close.

havasuphoto said:
I've heard it mentioned that for ever gram you are, over 1000 grams-you can subtract 1 second of flight time?
So as not to propagate "internet myth"...can someone confirm those numbers? In my case-at 1270 grams, it seems to be pretty darn close.

It's close enough to be a usable rule of thumb. I've found as you get over 1300-1400g, each gram you add has more more impact on flight time than at 1000-1200g. That doesn't square with the few efficiency charts I've seen for the 2212 motors, but it holds experimentally for me. YMMV.

Well I receive my gimbal today and tried out and my flight times are horrible so it is obvios that my Phantom is heavy.

Here is what I did so I can test tomorrow:

- Removed FPV camera and I am now feeding from Gopro Hero3 +
- Removed the VTX filter, I want to see how my FPV system will do without it
Both items above were the only thing I could think of removing to start reducing weight. Not sure how much flight time I will gain if at all. Based on the 1 gram = 1 second rule I assume I will get about a minute back? Will see tomorrow
Thanks again guys for helping me here!

Danny.

amrflyingdude said:
Well I receive my gimbal today and tried out and my flight times are horrible so it is obvios that my Phantom is heavy.

Both items above were the only thing I could think of removing to start reducing weight. Not sure how much flight time I will gain if at all. Based on the 1 gram = 1 second rule I assume I will get about a minute back? Will see tomorrow

Danny.
you can save 20g or so using lighter landing gear. But it quickly becomes an game of slowly accumulated gains, there are dozens of things you can remove, re-engineer and revise that save a few grams here and there. The big gains are in your selection of gimbal and added accessories, landing gear and how you go about dual batteries.

ElGuano said:
amrflyingdude said:

Danny.
you can save 20g or so using lighter landing gear. But it quickly becomes an game of slowly accumulated gains, there are dozens of things you can remove, re-engineer and revise that save a few grams here and there. The big gains are in your selection of gimbal and added accessories, landing gear and how you go about dual batteries.

I think that is my next step, try dual batteries.

After removing the FPV Cam and the filter I only gained 30 seconds. the interesting stuff is this. I get the same flight time (maybe a few seconds less) with my stock batteries than with my Zippy 2800.

amrflyingdude said:
After removing the FPV Cam and the filter I only gained 30 seconds. the interesting stuff is this. I get the same flight time (maybe a few seconds less) with my stock batteries than with my Zippy 2800.

How much does that Zippy weigh?

OI Photography said:
amrflyingdude said:

How much does that Zippy weigh?

231 grams.

When I used to fly only with my go pro this battery used to give me 2 minutes more than stock batt's

amrflyingdude said:
Well... A little bit of a disappointment here guys.

Myy original project consisted on installing on my 1.1.1 EZOSD, Fatshark Attitude V2 and good luck buy gimbal I managed to get on board everything but the Gimbal (waiting for it to arrive) so here are my flight times with everything but the gimbal and go pro encased on the plastic housing:

-Stock batteries 8 minutes,
-Zippy 2800 10mins.

That is again with Fatshark system (VTX+Filter), EZOSD (Current Sensor + Module) and my gopro inside the plastic housing and P2 props.

So when I get my gimbal I assume my flight times will be about 7 to 8 minutes only?

Curious note: Without FPV and EZOSD I was getting 14 and 1/2 minutes with my 2800 battery. Does the VTX and EZOSD weigh that much that eat 4 1/2 minutes of my flight ttime?

i really was hoping to get at least 10 minutes.

Im struggling to get my zippy 2800mah battery in my phantom. Did you have to do any mods? I can get the battery in but its a tight fit and this kind of force will eventually wear down the battery protective film I think. Any tips? Thanks

FC40 Pilot said:
amrflyingdude said:
Well... A little bit of a disappointment here guys.

Myy original project consisted on installing on my 1.1.1 EZOSD, Fatshark Attitude V2 and good luck buy gimbal I managed to get on board everything but the Gimbal (waiting for it to arrive) so here are my flight times with everything but the gimbal and go pro encased on the plastic housing:

-Stock batteries 8 minutes,
-Zippy 2800 10mins.

That is again with Fatshark system (VTX+Filter), EZOSD (Current Sensor + Module) and my gopro inside the plastic housing and P2 props.

So when I get my gimbal I assume my flight times will be about 7 to 8 minutes only?

Curious note: Without FPV and EZOSD I was getting 14 and 1/2 minutes with my 2800 battery. Does the VTX and EZOSD weigh that much that eat 4 1/2 minutes of my flight ttime?

i really was hoping to get at least 10 minutes.

Im struggling to get my zippy 2800mah battery in my phantom. Did you have to do any mods? I can get the battery in but its a tight fit and this kind of force will eventually wear down the battery protective film I think. Any tips? Thanks

It was tricky for me as well. I had to tie some sand paper and scrub the opening a little bit, it is still a tight fin but much better. I also had to dremmel out the door to let the cables be pugged outside of the casing, I was originally going in cables first and the door would close fine but this was damaging my XT60 cable.

Hope this helps.

It was tricky for me as well. I had to tie some sand paper and scrub the opening a little bit, it is still a tight fin but much better. I also had to dremmel out the door to let the cables be pugged outside of the casing, I was originally going in cables first and the door would close fine but this was damaging my XT60 cable.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

I was sold on this video but no way is it this easy!!?? Thanks for the reply
http://youtu.be/Xx06u0E1N1U

FC40 Pilot said:

Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/Xx06u0E1N1U[/quote]

No is not that easy. AT ALL. in fact I never could place my Zippy 2800 with cables inside the bay. My recommendation is get the Maddog 2700, I am getting almost 3 minutes more than the stock and 2 monists more than the zippy 2800. Since I have those I have not flown the Zippy

Im UK = no maddog! I would have bought a ton of these had I been US based. Why no one here has thought to make a ton of money importing them I have no idea.

FC40 Pilot said:
Im UK = no maddog! I would have bought a ton of these had I been US based. Why no one here has thought to make a ton of money importing them I have no idea.
there are EU alternatives, you just have to do a bit more legwork finding packs using quality cells. Maddogs don't have an exclusive on these cells, they're just the most proven at this point :)

ElGuano said:
FC40 Pilot said:
there are EU alternatives, you just have to do a bit more legwork finding packs using quality cells. Maddogs don't have an exclusive on these cells, they're just the most proven at this point :)

Ok, any suggestions?

FC40 Pilot said:
ElGuano said:
FC40 Pilot said:

Ok, any suggestions?
Sorry, I haven't been tracking them because I'm in the US, but I have seen discussion about them over the months. Google is probably your best bet.

FC40 Pilot said:

Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/Xx06u0E1N1U[/quote]
Yea, it really is that easy. I did it multiple times. After a few times, you get the hang of it.
But, I've since gone to the big battery door, to the lead face outward. The battery is a snug fit, which is ok, especially if the battery door opens in flight-that battery isn't going anywhere.
Also, remember to start with the main battery lead on the right side. You need to twist it a bit.....same with the big battery door, lead on the right side, with a few twists. The XT60 will not fit back inside the case when it's pointing forward-so you need to twist the wire just right, so that it fits inside the door.
I have 5 of them, and that's all I fly with anymore.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4