personal vision videos

kamkilla said:
Here is some of my videos before i crashed it and broke the blades on and btw anyone have a good fast source for blades?

http://m.youtube.com/user/stevendwithrow/

I like B&H but props were taking 4+ weeks. I saw the DJI North America conversion to UAVProducts and thought I would check their website. Sure enough uavproducts.com had propellers and they shipped the day I ordered. 2days USPS free. Arrived last Friday. Check it out.

dsmckittrick said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-B4GEclESE[/youtube]

Very impressive landscape! Can you tell us what type of post-processing you did (if any)? The video seems pretty free of fisheye distortion and vibration. That's a pretty challenging lighting situation (direct sun and deep shadow) but the FC200 did an admirable job of capturing both highlights and lowlights without blowing out the detail.

(Am I the only one hoping he'd fly through the eye at the top of the ridge toward the very end of the video?)

Constructive Feedback

The idea of having one thread for user videos is a good one. Its a one stop shop. If you comment on this thread it comes to the top of the 'View Your Posts' tab whenever new content is added. I love that.

The downside is its never clear if people are seeking constructive feedback in order to improve their films or not.

Constructive feedback points out the bad as well as the good. Not everyone is comfortable with this and I wish to respect that. Those who open up their videos to constructive feedback however do a great service to the community. Everyone gets to learn.

The Phantoms are first and foremost flying cameras. However the main focus of this forum is on equipment rather than how to use what you have to the best effect. It really should be an equal focus as even with the best that money can buy the results can still be dismal.

So from today, I am going to assume that videos placed in this thread are looking for constructive feedback on how to improve unless there is something in their post to indicate they are not. I am here to learn and I want to know from others what works and what doesn't. Not wanting your videos subjected to this is fine, so please still post them here but just make it clear.

Edit

I forgot to add the most important part. Everyone is qualified to comment on what they see. We all know what we like and dislike. We all know instinctively what is interesting or boring. We have years and years of training through watching films, tv and Youtube etc. There is no requirement to be a professional. Professionals bring additional skill sets to the party, they can explain why people will like certain things and thats when things become really interesting.

dsmckittrick said:

Thanks for sharing your video.

Constructive feedback

I am not a jazz fan so for me the music took away rather than added to the film.
Variety is the spice of life so some of your shots are held too long.
Would love to see more variation in filming heights as well as getting closer to objects.
Your money shot was the hole in the rock, we all wanted to see more of that and you can see how things become more interesting as you get closer.
Lovely use of the Golden hour.

Shrimpy

Enjoyable video, Shrimpfarmer :)

I particularly liked the bit where the train came into shot with the PV2 stationary and when you panned to follow it, the front of the train stayed in view (almost ;)), very effective, was that your first attempt and if not, how many trains did it take ?! It would be good to see another one with the train closer (I realise it would not be good to get too close).

There is a similar aged viaduct near here so I am going to have a go, only problem it is now a little used branch line so very few trains.

pault said:
Enjoyable video, Shrimpfarmer :)

I particularly liked the bit where the train came into shot with the PV2 stationary and when you panned to follow it, the front of the train stayed in view (almost ;)), very effective, was that your first attempt and if not, how many trains did it take ?! It would be good to see another one with the train closer (I realise it would not be good to get too close).

There is a similar aged viaduct near here so I am going to have a go, only problem it is now a little used branch line so very few trains.

Thanks Pault.

That was my second attempt but as the Vision was in GPS mode it did the hard work of holding position and all I had to do was turn by watching the Iphone screen which was much easier than I imagined. I didn't go close because I didn't want to freak out the driver of the train although in reality I was a long way away so with more confidence in the machine I would go closer. I was breaking two taboos making that film, going near an electric railway and flying near a power transformer which was about 100ft behind where I was flying from. I experienced no interference at all but it was quite some time I spent at low level before I trusted it to go high.

Definitely stay out of the eye line of anyone driving anything. Notwithstanding the common sense of that, just watch out for the Air Navigation Order s167 (edited here, available in full here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.pdf )

Small unmanned surveillance aircraft
167 (1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the
aircraft ...
(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the
control of the person in charge of the aircraft;

Today was the first time I managed to fly the Vision in very low winds. Spent three batteries practicing descents, circling and flying closer to objects all in ATTI mode. I am flying at my local sports field, plenty of space with few obstacles.

Didn't set out to make a video but I enjoy editing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlcBb27Q76U[/youtube]

Pull_Up said:
Nice control in the spinning selfie at the half way mark!

Thanks. I can spin it around myself but when I try to do it around an object it all goes to pot. :shock:

EyeUpHigh said:
dsmckittrick said:

Very impressive landscape! Can you tell us what type of post-processing you did (if any)? The video seems pretty free of fisheye distortion and vibration. That's a pretty challenging lighting situation (direct sun and deep shadow) but the FC200 did an admirable job of capturing both highlights and lowlights without blowing out the detail.

(Am I the only one hoping he'd fly through the eye at the top of the ridge toward the very end of the video?)

No post-processing other than downloading into iMovie on my Mac and piecing the individual shots together.

I would have liked to have more variation/shots but a park ranger informed me that flying in the park was not allowed. I didn't argue with him.

p.s. the opening in the rocks at the very end of the video is called "The Kissing Camels".

I added this tip to my Tips for Improving Your Videos thread - link in my signature.

The Power Of Reverse

This video tip demonstrates how Quads experience turbulence when descending. Things are much smoother in the climb. A poster on this forum (apologies but I can't find who) mentioned that professional pilots often film a shot in the climb for smoothness and just reverse the clip if they need a descent. You can also fake a really smooth landing by filming the takeoff and reversing it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1geozI4ZNhA[/youtube]

Pull_Up said:
Well, here's something from last Friday. Flat overcast and grey day, so I just went one step further and made the whole thing grey. ;-)

(And yes, it's a preserved railway and no, it wasn't a running day!)

Good work.

Pull_Up said:
Well, here's something from last Friday. Flat overcast and grey day, so I just went one step further and made the whole thing grey. ;-)

(And yes, it's a preserved railway and no, it wasn't a running day!)
Well done - very moody & atmospheric. One gripe: you can't show us a lingering shot of that bridge/tunnel opening and NOT then fly thru it!

This is my very first comp video of my first few flights with the Phantom 2 vision, or any flying thing for that matter. The P2V is nice but I think I can do better with my GoPro H3 so I'm returning the vision for a P2.

https://vimeo.com/84835705

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl