Pennsylvania law

Well according the the DCNR website that document is ALL of the rules for ALL of PA state parks. I'm sure he will come up with some thing.

But I guess what I would do is print a copy of that document and carry it with you when you fly in a state park. When you get stopped produce the paper and ask them to point to the rule they are referencing.
Now I'm sure they can always ask you to leave for disturbing the peace because I know somewhere I there it does talk about loud noises or disturbances to other park guests.

Well according the the DCNR website that document is ALL of the rules for ALL of PA state parks. I'm sure he will come up with some thing.

But I guess what I would do is print a copy of that document and carry it with you when you fly in a state park. When you get stopped produce the paper and ask them to point to the rule they are referencing.
Now I'm sure they can always ask you to leave for disturbing the peace because I know somewhere I there it does talk about loud noises or disturbances to other park guests.

You'll probably right. He'll more than likely go from "FAA regulations" to "Parks regulations" to "noise regulations". We'll have to wait a few days since it's the weekend. I'll keep you updated. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:

I wouldn't recommend this course of action. Find another place to fly. Small minds with a little authority tend to overreact when challenged; you may still be right at the end but may not like the outcome...
IMHO, the smart move is to take the issue to the director of state parks, or whatever the title is. If you get the runaround contact the state legislator for your area, district, precinct, etc. Bureaucrats tend to pay attention when politicos get involved.

Reactions: 750r
Just getting caught up on this thread. Funny thing is Washington Crossing Park liked my post on Instagram of some aerial footage of their park. Ooops.

Reactions: 750r
I just went through the DCNR Title 17 rules. Like someone mentioned before, there are no rules about model aircraft. Sadly there is this one that could be used:

§ 11.209. Miscellaneous activities.
(3) Causing or creating a noise which would likely annoy or disturb a reasonable person of normal sensitivities.

However if you do it around areas where all-terrain vehicles are allowed, then you should be fine?

I was stopped about a month ago at Fort Washington State Park (I was flying here). I park guard came over to me and told me I can't fly here. Mind you this was at 8am on a Sunday morning and I think myself and the park guy were the only people around. I nicely ask why and could you show me any written rules, laws or regulations. He couldn't.........he "heard it had something to do about noise complaints LOL. At the same time he made a comment about how quite the Phantom is. I kept flying........about 5 minutes later a very long freight train came roaring past, 4 engines and must have had 200 box cars....you want to talk about noise? I couldn't here myself think

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.117823,-75.2290449,47m/data=!3m1!1e3

It could have be worse, their is a quarry I'm trying to figure out how to fly in. I've also done some flying in Fairmount Park at the Indian....if you where that is. Its a real tight squeeze but I have shot some nice video there

I'm in PA for the next few days, Northumberland area. I brought my P3P, I should fly it here.

Shot this a few minutes before the park rangers told me I couldn't fly there. They were pretty cool but I find it ridiculous I can't fly in a far corner of the park with no one around! There are other parts I want to film but I will be taking off from outside the park :)

It could have be worse, their is a quarry I'm trying to figure out how to fly in. I've also done some flying in Fairmount Park at the Indian....if you where that is. Its a real tight squeeze but I have shot some nice video there

This is my first try at a quarry between Conshohocken and King of Prussia. I plan to fly it again and do more "inside" the quarry.

Reactions: BobPA
I just got an email from someone at the PA parks department and he too referred to the elusive FAA regulations that ban drone flight at PA state parks.

I'm having a hard time believing a federal agency banned drone flights at state parks but it's legal for me to fly at a random location in the city.

And yet no one can point me to this rule they so strongly believe in.

I've been looking for that rule for a while. I have found it in Bucks County and they have leased a small area of Core Creek park to a RC airplane club. The thing that burns me is that State Rangers can't point it out to me either. The townships also have parks and many of them have no UAS laws but the local police do give you a hard time even when they no idea of what they're talking about. They always fall back on the potentially dangerous activity speech. I don't want to cause trouble in my own township so I choose not to be argumentative with them. They just did a DJI event at some park in Doylestown last month. Probably pulled permits.

Reactions: FatBlindKid
Range extenders and flying from a remote place. They are not looking for UAVs they are looking for people flying UAVs. Take off from a down-low spot, get your shots, get out. Plan your flight, fly your plan. Same way you BASE jump off El Capitan Yosemite. Be cool, get in, get out, be willing to pay the price of getting caught. Disclaimer: I would never do that, I don't own an inspire2 with Zenmuse X5R or an Apex Lobo 270 BASE parachute with black lines and red slider.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj