Passed Part 107..how do I keep it

Reaction score
I passed part 107 but haven't seen a definitive answer of what I have to do to remain licensed. Must I retake the test in two years? Receive additional training? Earn some sort of credits?

Retake the text is all you need. Additional training only if you think you need it to pass the test again.

In simplest terms what @sswingle stated.

But... it is rumored that the FAA is potentially adding some "Credit Process" to the UAS program much like manned aircraft pilots have. It's where you can take classes etc and get credits toward your certificate and if you get enough you can bypass the next BiAnnual test. This is all still very preliminary and it may or may NOT actually happen.

All we know for sure is there will be some type of test at the 24 month mark. What it will require is yet to be seen.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
In simplest terms what @sswingle stated.

But... it is rumored that the FAA is potentially adding some "Credit Process" to the UAS program much like manned aircraft pilots have. It's where you can take classes etc and get credits toward your certificate and if you get enough you can bypass the next BiAnnual test. This is all still very preliminary and it may or may NOT actually happen.

All we know for sure is there will be some type of test at the 24 month mark. What it will require is yet to be seen.

I would not be surprised if the recert turns out to be an online test, since the initial, in-person, test established identity and up-front knowledge. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Thanks guys. I hope it turns out there is a way to avoid the test. I'd much rather be able to attend some classes or seminars that could potentially offer more applicable information.

I would not be surprised if the recert turns out to be an online test, since the initial, in-person, test established identity and up-front knowledge. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I had this very conversation recently with a buddy at the FAA. He said they have had so many complaints about the "results" from the existing test that some have suggested a practical test along with some type of oral exam. Sound familiar? LOL

I don't really think it will come to this yet but with the poor retention rate of P107 it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen at some point. We need to make sure we understand principles and theory as opposed to just "cramming to pass a test".

I had this very conversation recently with a buddy at the FAA. He said they have had so many complaints about the "results" from the existing test that some have suggested a practical test along with some type of oral exam. Sound familiar? LOL

I don't really think it will come to this yet but with the poor retention rate of P107 it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen at some point. We need to make sure we understand principles and theory as opposed to just "cramming to pass a test".

That sounds like a fine idea, but may be difficult to achieve in practice since I doubt that they have the staff or infrastructure available to take on that kind of workload. At the location where I took the test it was clear that none of the staff knew much at all about UAVs or UAV-specific Part 107 regulations.

Reactions: BigAl07
No one knows, right now, how the FAA will actually conduct the re-certification.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj