Part 107 Pilots - Getting a FAA Medical?

Reaction score
Those of you that are flying as Part 107 Commercial sUAV Pilots, are you getting a FAA medical certificates?

Originally, the FAA wanted every Commercial Pilot, sUAV or manned aircraft pilot to have a 2nd or 1st Class Medical Certificate.

Obviously, if you are already a manned aircraft pilot then you have a medical certificate.

Just asking about the rest of you?

edspilot

No medical required for a 107.

Yes, I know not required. I guess I meant to ask more about pilots that are working/employed by companies that might require their pilots to have a FAA medical certificate.

I have been seeing a big percentage of companies online requiring it.

edspilot

Yes, I know not required. I guess I meant to ask more about pilots that are working/employed by companies that might require their pilots to have a FAA medical certificate.

I have been seeing a big percentage of companies online requiring it.

edspilot

I believe the Section 333 exemptions that were issued did require a Part 61 pilot license of some type. Typically private pilot or higher. Depending on the exemption issued, it may or may not have required a medical and to be current as a Part 61 pilot in a manned aircraft and able to act as PIC, which would require a medical. These are no longer being issued in favor of Part 107 But if you are an organization that had one, it is still valid until the original expiration date. Or you can move to Part 107 operations....just not both.

For manned aircraft (Part 61), a medical is always required. Except for Private now with Basic Med.

If you have a Section 333 Exemption you can still fly under it but you must abide by all of the stipulations within your particular exemption.

Initially they required us to have a min of PPL which also required Class III Medical but later when they changes it to allow Sport Pilot or Rec Pilot certification it only required a State/Fed ID as opposed to a medical certificate.

Many larger UAS companies are now requiring their RPIC to get and maintain a Class III or even Class II (one who I interviewed with last week requires Class II which I don't hold LOL).

If you have a Section 333 Exemption you can still fly under it but you must abide by all of the stipulations within your particular exemption.

Initially they required us to have a min of PPL which also required Class III Medical but later when they changes it to allow Sport Pilot or Rec Pilot certification it only required a State/Fed ID as opposed to a medical certificate.

Many larger UAS companies are now requiring their RPIC to get and maintain a Class III or even Class II (one who I interviewed with last week requires Class II which I don't hold LOL).

Wow....is there a specific reason for a Class 2?? I mean...Part 107 is for commercial pilots, but having a medical at the commercial pilot level is a bit extreme to me.

Reactions: BigAl07
Wow....is there a specific reason for a Class 2?? I mean...Part 107 is for commercial pilots, but having a medical at the commercial pilot level is a bit extreme to me.
Honestly, after sitting in the interview (it was a We are THIS good, the best, world class self promotion hour really) I think it's more of a promotional thing than anything else. He said he expects the same level of professionalism from his UAS pilots as he does from his manned pilots.

It's a LOT extreme and so grossly over kill from every stand point. I really like what they are doing and would entertain the idea of working for them but I'm not sure I could work for the guy directly.

Honestly, after sitting in the interview (it was a We are THIS good, the best, world class self promotion hour really) I think it's more of a promotional thing than anything else. He said he expects the same level of professionalism from his UAS pilots as he does from his manned pilots.

It's a LOT extreme and so grossly over kill from every stand point. I really like what they are doing and would entertain the idea of working for them but I'm not sure I could work for the guy directly.

Will they even issue a Class 2 (or any medical certificate) for anyone not holding a student pilot certificate or higher?? Since the FAA does not require it for Part 107, if you don't hold a Part 61 cert, can you even fill out the online form?

Will they even issue a Class 2 (or any medical certificate) for anyone not holding a student pilot certificate or higher?? Since the FAA does not require it for Part 107, if you don't hold a Part 61 cert, can you even fill out the online form?

I would imagine they can/will because he has over 100 RPIC already in the company working around the country. I really didn't look into it but just "assumed" it was a valid requirement and obtainable.

Getting a medical without a PPL is no problem. Remember students have to have one before they can solo. First timers can't use the online form. They still have to have the standard exam by a qualified flight surgeon. Renewals, etc use the online form. Actually going to meet with my gp Doctor next week to redo mine.

Reactions: BigAl07
The medical certificate is certainly over-kill for flying drones.

I have had to get one every six months for the last 44 years. When I started it cost me $25.00. My last one in March was $185.00 because being older and having to do the EKG.

Leave it up to the FAA to probably one day to require it.

I have been very lucky in my aviation career but, know one day my luck will run out, if I live long enough.

edspilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94