Part 107 - MOA help please

Reaction score
I'm using the UAS 107 android app to help study for the Pat 107 and Im not understanding 2 questions about MOAs. Maybe someone can help.

One question states - What hazards to aircraft may exist in areas sucah as Devils Lake East MOA.
The answer is: Militart training activities that necessitate acrobatic or abrupt flight maneuvers.

Another question (which I dont remember off hand) is also asking about an MOA but the answer is "Unusual, often invisible, hazards such as aerial gunnery or guided missiles"

I am not understanding how I can infer those 2 different types of hazards from the section charts. I dont see anything on the map that states what the hazards are. Am I missing something?

The hazzards would be just as you described. I'm just taking a wag at this but the acronym MOA, either means "Military Operational Area" or "Military Operational Airspace". Either way the hazzards are similar and you answered your own questions. That's one of those area's where the "hazzards" need not be spelled out for you. It should be fairly obvious. More times than not, these area's are NFZ anyway, for any aircraft other than military.

There are 2 similar test questions. Both questions give 3 multiple choice answers. And both of those answers are listed on both of those questions but only 1 is right.

I guess what I am really asking is, how can I tell by looking at a sectional chart what the hazards are in any given MOA.

Not much to go on, but this may give you an answer.

If you ever have any questions about MOA's, information should be printed in the MOA, on the sectional chart with the restrictions that apply to that MOA. Devils Lake MOA's information is actually contained on the left hand side of the sectional chart.

riverara:

As others have said above, the FAA tests are a little different. I have taken over 10 FAA exams in my 44 years of flying airplanes and helicopters and teaching in both.

When a topic has several answers to a "safety" related item of interest that they want to test about, they will ask two or three questions about it in the same test.

This by its very nature is confusing to many that has not had experience to their test thought process.

Now for your answer specifically, the MOA includes a lot of military training in various aircraft. Therefore, they will ask a couple of questions with different correct answers to see if you know that there is not just one "pat" answer. This lets them know, you know you could encounter lots of different reasons for this MOA.

Hope this helps?

Good luck with your test.

edspilot

Reactions: Fly Dawg
Therefore, they will ask a couple of questions with different correct answers to see if you know that there is not just one "pat" answer.
Nailed that one!

I'm using the UAS 107 android app to help study for the Pat 107 and Im not understanding 2 questions about MOAs. Maybe someone can help.

One question states - What hazards to aircraft may exist in areas sucah as Devils Lake East MOA.
The answer is: Militart training activities that necessitate acrobatic or abrupt flight maneuvers.

Another question (which I dont remember off hand) is also asking about an MOA but the answer is "Unusual, often invisible, hazards such as aerial gunnery or guided missiles"

I am not understanding how I can infer those 2 different types of hazards from the section charts. I dont see anything on the map that states what the hazards are. Am I missing something?
The first answer is for MOAs. The second is for Military restricted areas. Restricted areas show up on the sectional maps with Red hash marks and are labelled R-####. They all have altitude restrictions that you can look up, if you're under the minimum, fly on. If the minimum is the Surface, contact the controlling authority to enter the area (I've done this with my local restricted zones). MOAs show up on the sectionals with blue hash marks and can be entered without prior authorization, but you need to be aware of the dangers.

Reactions: apatron
Correction to my previous: restricted area have blue hash marks and MOAs have red hashmarks....

how can I tell by looking at a sectional chart what the hazards are in any given MOA.

You can't. They won't say: "This MOA does experimental aircraft tests". They could be doing anything in there.. they gotta test the Roswell craft somewhere, right?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94