Parachute for P4P?

Zzz

Reaction score
Local laws require a parachute in order for a quad to fly over residential areas. Any suggestions? Preferably on the cheaper side and easily removable for when flying over non populated areas and don't want the flight capabilities and battery time taking an unnecessary hit...

Thanks!

just tape a plastic small one on it doesn't say it has to work just have a chute

Haha :) The law actually does say it has to work... it even defines the max kinetic energy that may be released during the parachute assisted fall (<79 J) [emoji16]

Where are you, with such laws?

Slovenia :) And that's not all either - the parachute has to be self activated in case of a power loss [emoji23] Having a manual switch won't be enough apparently...

Yeah, our government really loves comming up with laws that make our lives unnecessarily difficult...

one of those wearable arduino's running off a watch battery, with motion sensor looking for 32ft/sec2, and gyro for detecting tumbling upside down maybe.
wifi hat would let you sniff the drones traffic also. I'm going to be playing with those signals over the cold spells this winter, the emergency shutoff would be a good one to deploy on. Props and parachute cords don't play nice together. Be warned, insurance doesn't like parachutes on real planes either.
But go with a parafoil, so you can have fun flying it as it comes down.

Reactions: Zzz
Haha :) The law actually does say it has to work... it even defines the max kinetic energy that may be released during the parachute assisted fall (<79 J) [emoji16]

There is your loophole, if parachute DOESN'T assist, the law doesn't apply.

Thanks slackware! Not sure about having fun flying it as it comes down though... lol :)

Wish there was an end product incorporating the required features... sounds like it's gonna require a lot of hacking/engineering knowledge in order to come up with something that's going to satisfy our laws :/

Thanks slackware! Not sure about having fun flying it as it comes down though... lol :)

Wish there was an end product incorporating the required features... sounds like it's gonna require a lot of hacking/engineering knowledge in order to come up with something that's going to satisfy our laws :/

That is usually how they say it is legal but ban it. like guns in DC, and maryland. yea, you can have one see there is a law letting you. that you will never get one is your problem.
I've been thinking a drag streamer to stabilize the tumbling before deployment, the shape is not very friendly for the cords to the chute getting entagled. Not very gung ho to test how they tumble out of the sky myself to get data. plus 400ft to ground doesn't give you much time. so drag chute to pull parachute is going to be needed, just like base jumpers use. But they don't tumble and spin end over end. At least the ones who walk away don't.
Maybe those airbag inflaters, you should have a couple from your car at least you can use. They might blow it out fast enough to stop the entanglement of drone

That is usually how they say it is legal but ban it. like guns in DC, and maryland. yea, you can have one see there is a law letting you. that you will never get one is your problem.
I've been thinking a drag streamer to stabilize the tumbling before deployment, the shape is not very friendly for the cords to the chute getting entagled. Not very gung ho to test how they tumble out of the sky myself to get data. plus 400ft to ground doesn't give you much time. so drag chute to pull parachute is going to be needed, just like base jumpers use. But they don't tumble and spin end over end. At least the ones who walk away don't.
Maybe those airbag inflaters, you should have a couple from your car at least you can use. They might blow it out fast enough to stop the entanglement of drone
There actually are ready to go chutes for Phantoms that come with a release system. However, as far as I know, they have to be released manually... no auto release on failure.

And don't even get me started on guns... EU commission is doing it's best trying to ban most of them over here! It's supposed to happen any day now and gun owners all over Europe are at disbelief. And I ain't giving up my guns... it's a matter of principle.

Here's one of the options, though it seems pretty meh, don't like the release system nor chutes position to the side:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This one seems better:

How it works (spring release):

Sent from my SM-N910C using PhantomPilots mobile app

Now I see from whom Croatia rewrote the laws. From neighbors :D Just got P4P and our version of FAA insist that I have parachute on it. (facepalm).
Which one did You get?

Still looking :) Mars mini seems like the best option so far, assuming you can get it to auto release on power loss etc... And yeah, lot's of the rules have been copied between our countries exactly word for word... not sure who copied whom, but most likely they both copied some third country [emoji23]

Hubsan make one drone with a gimbal mounted 1080p camera that comes with a fully working integrated OEM parachute. Cant be that hard for dji to make one.

27ac0a7e-a286-4899-9b54-abca0577f62b.jpg

It actualy could work. But they said that there is no mounting plate for p4 and p4p. They said that we can tape it on a landing gear. That is not something I am comfortable with.

Sent from my D5803 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31