Panorama with my P3 4K

Reaction score
I just purchased a P3 4K. I realize this is the P4P discussion but I know a lot of you use Litchi. The question is should I use Litchi for panorama photography. Not sure if DJI Go has this option.

Thank you.

I just purchased a P3 4K. I realize this is the P4P discussion but I know a lot of you use Litchi. The question is should I use Litchi for panorama photography. Not sure if DJI Go has this option.

Thank you.
The DJI Go version (pre P4) does not support the pano mode. Litchi and the P3 will do just fine, especially when you add the 4K.

The DJI Go version (pre P4) does not support the pano mode. Litchi and the P3 will do just fine, especially when you add the 4K.

4K is for video so it will have no effect on stills taken in pano mode. You can extract images from the 4K video and they may be better than the regular stills but I highly doubt the OP would be using the 4K extracted stills for a pano.

Regardless, Litchi works great for panos and adds so many more features than DJI GO.

Chris

Thank you.
If you want the best quality pano, manually take a bunch of pictures, with some overlap, and stitch them with Microsoft ICE.

If you want the best quality pano, manually take a bunch of pictures, with some overlap, and stitch them with Microsoft ICE.
Manually taking shots will work fine if you have a simple single row pano but as soon as you start getting into multirow panos it becomes way more difficult and that’s where software that automates the process, like Litchi works very well.

Manually taking shots will work fine if you have a simple single row pano but as soon as you start getting into multirow panos it becomes way more difficult and that’s where software that automates the process, like Litchi works very well.
Microsoft ICE does very good with multirow panoramas. In fact that is what it is for! It is easy to use but it has powerful manual features as well. Best of all it's free! Take a look at a 2 row panorama with 4 pics in each that I took and proceeded in Microsoft ICE. (8 pictures total, created 50 megapixel image):
1528476807301.jpg

Microsoft ICE does very good with multirow panoramas. In fact that is what it is for! It is easy to use but it has powerful manual features as well. Best of all it's free! Take a look at a 2 row panorama with 4 pics in each that I took and proceeded in Microsoft ICE. (8 pictures total, created 50 megapixel image):
View attachment 99871
Nice pano. I usually take equirectangular panos (spherical) and use PTGui and photoshop for simpler ones. ICE is Windows only whereas the others are multiplatform.

Nice pano. I usually take equirectangular panos (spherical) and use PTGui and photoshop for simpler ones. ICE is Windows only whereas the others are multiplatform.
Those are all good programs, just sayin what my favorite is. No good if you're a Mac user, but I'm a windows guy myself... Hence my choice of software. What OS do you use?

I'm a Mac guy but I can work in both. I use OS X on my mac laptop but I also have Win10 as well and can switch back and forth if needed. I did try ICE but prefer the results I get from PTGui

As to the OPs original question, if he is just starting out with doing panos he could certainly try doing them manually in DJI GO but the automation of Litchi and others (AutoPilot) makes it easier to successfully capture a more complex pano.

When I first got my P3S about a year and a half ago, I did my panos manually and got good results, then I discovered Litchi and more recently AutoPilot. The automated software allows me to do things I do not have the skills to do manually. For example, fly a Waypoint mission that includes taking video (with different focus points) and shoot a panorama(s) and I can do this mission planning in the comfort of my own home on the larger screen of my laptop. I will be travelling to British Columbia (Canada) in July and have already planned some missions for some of the places we will visit. I will obviously tweak them when I get there but the ability to do this would not be possible if I just stuck to the DJI GO software.

Chris

4K is for video so it will have no effect on stills taken in pano mode. You can extract images from the 4K video and they may be better than the regular stills but I highly doubt the OP would be using the 4K extracted stills for a pano.

Regardless, Litchi works great for panos and adds so many more features than DJI GO.

Chris
Yup, I was thinking more of other video applications for the 4K. Should have been more clear. Thanks for pointing that out!

Reactions: Chrislaf

Thank you.
Litchi panorama mode works with all versions of P3. The problem is that panorama mode only works in “s” or “a” mode, which leads to excessive drift. Still takes surprisingly good panoramas except the drift can carry you into obstacles. Litchi works better with the P4 as it allows the app to work in FPV mode, where there is no drift.

Thank you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj