P4Pro vs Mavic

Mavic vs P4Pro

• Mavic

• P4P

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I've got the P2 so it's time for an upgrade. I love what I'm seeing with the p4pro. But the Mavic is really portable. My P2 case is one of those gigantic plastic trunks. I've got a back pack but it's not ideal. Really the P2 is just not portable and the P4 looks like more of the same. You can't easily take it with you hiking or on the Jet Ski. Basically it's flying out of the back of your car.

The Mavic is so small you could tuck it in the front of your jet ski (with enough padding so it doesn't get smashed up) or stuff it in your back pack. So that's a huge plus for the Mavic. And it's a bit cheaper.

Clearly the P4Pro is the superior drone in the specs department. But I always say "The best camera is the one you have with you". I've taken a pile of great pics with my 5MP Google Glass simply because I have it with me . I can just wink to snap a quick hands free pic. My daughter's 20lb Nikon with the huge lens, tripod and gigantic case takes way better pictures but she never has it with her.

On the other hand, what's the point of a small drone if a gust of wind sends it spinning away and you never see it again?

Perhaps the Mavic is the better drone because you are more likely to have it with you? Or is it not really up to the job?

What do you guys think? I'd also like to post this in the Mavic forum but I see it's read only at the moment. Any Mavic owners care to weigh in?

Last edited:
Everything you wrote screams "I want portability".... so the Mavic Pro is the one you want.

The main reason people buy a P4P over a Mavic Pro is because they are either a hobby Photographer, Pro Photographer or they just believe owning a larger sensor camera will always give them a good picture/video whenever they point it at something. So if you're in none of these camps, then the Mavic Pro is again the one for you.

The Mavic Pro takes outstanding photos/video, if you know what you're doing. Same is true for the P4P.

I have both (recently received the P4P), and can say the portability factor of the Mavic Pro means it will get much more use than any other drone I own.

Reactions: rbhamilton
Thanks Capn! Nice answer.

Not sure if anyone noticed but this is a poll too. So if you want to weigh in quick just hit the Mavic/P4P option up top.

Everything you wrote screams "I want portability".... so the Mavic Pro is the one you want.

The main reason people buy a P4P over a Mavic Pro is because they are either a hobby Photographer, Pro Photographer or they just believe owning a larger sensor camera will always give them a good picture/video whenever they point it at something. So if you're in none of these camps, then the Mavic Pro is again the one for you.

The Mavic Pro takes outstanding photos/video, if you know what you're doing. Same is true for the P4P.

I have both (recently received the P4P), and can say the portability factor of the Mavic Pro means it will get much more use than any other drone I own.
Thanks for posting! You just helped me make a decision that I've been trying to make for the last week. I'm going to return the black P4 (oh so sexy) and hold out for the Mavic Pro. We travel and I want to take it as much as possible.

Needs decide what you should buy. For example I have many TVs in my home, bigger in my family room and smallest in my bedrooms. Apple Watch to see instant messages but use iPhone to read emails and to make and receive calls.

Don't get surprised if you really need two drones based on your needs. If you need just one then it will be a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am in the same boat as you, tho I have a P3P which still produces above satisfactory imagery. I was very close to buying the P4P because the new camera really excites me, but **** I love taking my drone travelling and it can be a bit annoying with the P3P - which i know is basically the same size as the P4P.

The other things that deterred me from the P4P is the poor colour profile / poor image processing and the blossoming issue which continues to be a problem. I also find it a shame they developed OccuSync which the Mavic has but the P4P is still using old lightbridge technology.

My current dream drone is Mavic 2, using the P4P camera with improved colour profile & image processing - a long shot but one can dream!

Tho if i had to choose between the current Mavic & the P4P i would go the P4P, as by comparison the P4P camera outweighs the Mavics portability factor.

I am in the same boat as you, tho I have a P3P which still produces above satisfactory imagery. I was very close to buying the P4P because the new camera really excites me, but **** I love taking my drone travelling and it can be a bit annoying with the P3P - which i know is basically the same size as the P4P.

The other things that deterred me from the P4P is the poor colour profile / poor image processing and the blossoming issue which continues to be a problem. I also find it a shame they developed OccuSync which the Mavic has but the P4P is still using old lightbridge technology.

My current dream drone is Mavic 2, using the P4P camera with improved colour profile & image processing - a long shot but one can dream!
With the price of the P4 falling, I may just buy a Mavic Pro and get an open box P4 so I can fly with my son.

I've got the P2 so it's time for an upgrade. I love what I'm seeing with the p4pro. But the Mavic is really portable. My P2 case is one of those gigantic plastic trunks. I've got a back pack but it's not ideal. Really the P2 is just not portable and the P4 looks like more of the same. You can't easily take it with you hiking or on the Jet Ski. Basically it's flying out of the back of your car.

The Mavic is so small you could tuck it in the front of your jet ski (with enough padding so it doesn't get smashed up) or stuff it in your back pack. So that's a huge plus for the Mavic. And it's a bit cheaper.

Clearly the P4Pro is the superior drone in the specs department. But I always say "The best camera is the one you have with you". I've taken a pile of great pics with my 5MP Google Glass simply because I have it with me . I can just wink to snap a quick hands free pic. My daughter's 20lb Nikon with the huge lens, tripod and gigantic case takes way better pictures but she never has it with her.

On the other hand, what's the point of a small drone if a gust of wind sends it spinning away and you never see it again?

Perhaps the Mavic is the better drone because you are more likely to have it with you? Or is it not really up to the job?

What do you guys think? I'd also like to post this in the Mavic forum but I see it's read only at the moment. Any Mavic owners care to weigh in?
Get both ;)

Reactions: ringolong
Depends. I had both, but sold the Mavic when I saw the specs for the P4P. The Mavic is an awesome portable drone. It was a tough choice, but I needed the better camera. I love to fly any of my drones, but not so much that I need to have one with me all the time. It's not that difficult to travel with a full size Phantom, we all have been doing that for years, long before the Mavic was released. Yes, the portability is there, but there are several things I don't like about the Mavic. The camera / gimbal is very fragile, held onto the aircraft by rubber bands. The landing gear is way to short. I can't easily mount my iPad Air 2, the beeping from the controller is insanely annoying. One pilot's opinion, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Depends. I had both, but sold the Mavic when I saw the specs for the P4P. The Mavic is an awesome portable drone. It was a tough choice, but I needed the better camera. I love to fly any of my drones, but not so much that I need to have one with me all the time. It's not that difficult to travel with a full size Phantom, we all have been doing that for years, long before the Mavic was released. Yes, the portability is there, but there are several things I don't like about the Mavic. The camera / gimbal is very fragile, held onto the aircraft by rubber bands. The landing gear is way to short. I can't easily mount my iPad Air 2, the beeping from the controller is insanely annoying. One pilot's opinion, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
It's amazing how people went bananas over the Mavic, still are. I was lucky enough to be one of the first to have one. Oct 25th. It's been amazing ever since. I also bought the P4P which is my favorite by far. My Mavic is my "Toy" drone in a sense.

Very solid points on both sides. This isn't getting any easier! Arrrgh.
Buying 2 new drones is out of the question. I could keep the P2 Vision+ as my "Big" drone but the new drone (whichever I pick) will be far superior so I don't see the point. I'll probably give the P2 to one of my kids. My kids are 25+ years old so hopefully nobody will lose a finger. :)

You can also post this over at mavicpilots.com although you might get a slightly biased opinion. :D

If I crashed my P3P and needed a replacement, I would *probably* get a Mavic at this point for the portability, since its camera will still be an improvement over mine. But honestly I don't need an upgrade in that area just yet.

If I crashed my P3P and needed a replacement, I would *probably* get a Mavic at this point for the portability, since its camera will still be an improvement over mine.
You probably couldn't see a difference. The cameras have the same sensor and are very similar in performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic