P4P Video Weirdness

Reaction score
OK, I haven't flown my new P4P yet but have done a little testing inside -- the weathers pretty bad.

So I shot a short clip of video inside with h.265 and D-log and high ISO of 1600 so I wasn't expecting the video to be great. I loaded the clip into Premiere Pro and it played just fine but there's a worrying 1 second artifact that repeats every second. In addition, this artifact causes a diagonal washing across the screen from top left to bottom right that resets every second. This worries me because the timing of this resetting appear to be in the I-frame boundary which is a similar problem the Inspire 1 Pro has.

I had hoped that the higher bitrate would mitigate the flickering effect I have with the Inspire 1 Pro but this test with the P4P has me worried that I may be not better off than with the X5 camera on the I1 Pro. I'll not say any more at this time as I need to get some footage outside so I can see what I get with camera settings such as ISO that are more typical of daylight conditions.

I mention this in hopes that others might look to see if they are seeing a similar artifact. And, just to clear up my reference to the I1 Pro the single biggest problem I've had with the I1 Pro is that when I color grade the video, which is shot using D-log, I use curves or other contrast stretching tools to bring back the contrast range that's compressed with D-log and to produce a more appealing video. However, I've found that I get a flickering effect in the shadow detail that gets worse the more I stretch the contrast and this has forced me to reduce my contrast stretching to levels that are less than I'd like and less than I can comfortably do with all my other cameras (Panasonic GH2, G85, Nikon D800E, D7200, GoPro Hero 3 Black).

Boy I hope this is just a low light high ISO problem because it sure smacks of the flickering issue with the I1 Pro.

Brian

Vldeo -- what's this about?

Not ready to throw in the towel just yet so it looks like you'll have to buy elsewhere...

Brian

I meant... do you have a video of the problem you were talking about so more people can see it too?

I had to ask... :)

I meant do you have a video of the problem you were talking about so more people can see it too.

I had to ask... :)

I'm not going to make more of this until I can confirm with some outdoor shots. I mentioned it in the first place so that others may think to look for it. If I confirm this is an issue with outdoor shots then I'll make a video and upload it.

Brian

Reactions: tml4191

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj