P4P V2 Yaw issues

Reaction score
I have been having issues while trying to add in slight amounts of yaw during hand flown shots. This was not an issue on my P4P, Mavic Plat, or Mavic 2. It usually happens when I'm doing a trucking shot or a hand flown "point of interest shot". My sensitivity settings and gain are all low and for tripod/cinematic effect. The compass calibration didn't seem to help. If I breathe on the left stick for yaw and hold it steady the heading will barely move and then suddenly whip 10 degrees or so and the shot is scrapped. Any thoughts? Could this be a gimbal motor issue or just poor yaw control from the 4 motors or esc's? How would you be able to tell which is the problem? Thanks for any advice on this issue.

What is a 'hand flown shot'?

I think you should look at the EXP settings that determine the sensitivity of the yaw stick. I use a setting around 2.8. You need to experiment to find your sweet spot.

What is a 'hand flown shot'?

"hand flown" shot is just one that is not automated and you are at control on the sticks/dials. Not a term I invented, but from several customers I've worked for when they want to distinguish between automated flights with, for example, DroneDeploy or Pix4D, and "hand flown" shots where you are using the sticks for full control or even using an Intelligent Flight Mode if you wish, like Tripod or Course Lock, where you are in control with the sticks but the stick output is moderated by some other function.

I think you should look at the EXP settings that determine the sensitivity of the yaw stick. I use a setting around 2.8. You need to experiment to find your sweet spot.

Like you suggested, JeffreyS, the Exponential, Gain, and Sensitivity settings were the first things I checked and they are all quite low or moderate:

Rudder Right EXP is negative .10
Sensitivity Attitude 40, Brake 80, Yaw Movement Limit 140
Yaw Gain 100%

I tried recalibrating the Controller and it didn't help at all. It doesn't seem to matter if there are low winds or higher winds, low speed or high speed flight, lens hood or no lens hood.

Another related issue is centering. If you are yawing to the left a bit and then release the stick to center, it wanders back to the right slowly about 5 degrees and then stops.

I am wondering if the gimbal yaw motor is the issue but I don't really know what the symptoms are for a bad yaw motor.

I have been having issues while trying to add in slight amounts of yaw during hand flown shots. This was not an issue on my P4P, Mavic Plat, or Mavic 2. It usually happens when I'm doing a trucking shot or a hand flown "point of interest shot". My sensitivity settings and gain are all low and for tripod/cinematic effect. The compass calibration didn't seem to help. If I breathe on the left stick for yaw and hold it steady the heading will barely move and then suddenly whip 10 degrees or so and the shot is scrapped. Any thoughts? Could this be a gimbal motor issue or just poor yaw control from the 4 motors or esc's? How would you be able to tell which is the problem? Thanks for any advice on this issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj