P4P Loss of GPS poll.

Have you ever lost gps during flight (p4p exclusively)

• Never

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • Lost gps once

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Lost gps several times

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Happens regulary

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
Hi there. Sure, here's a link: Dropbox - FLY083.DAT
The sudden drift away was around 7.48. Inputs after that consisted of trying to fly it higher as there was a close roof line it was disappearing over, and then right stick work to try to (unsuccessfully) ascertain it's direction before it vanished from sight. RTH altitude was still set to 80m from some tall rainforest flying prior. Only thing unusual in this flight was that I tried a catch and immediately re-launch by hand about 2/3 way through. There was a moderately strong southerly wind blowing. Be interested to see what you find. BTW, what's the difference between the DAT and TXT files? Thanks
Hmm it says it can't read that file. Did you follow the steps in the link on how to export the file? It usually has a name with the date in it and says assistant etc.

Yes, downloaded the folder and in it there were a lots of .txt files (DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-02_[13-37-52].txt) and corresponding .dat files (fly0xx.dat)? Any suggestions?

Not yet for me (fingers crossed). I do have a Marco Polo tracker attached so if/when it does happen and it doesn't RTH, I'll have another way to hopefully find it.

I'm not sure. You should only select the flight log file with the date that corresponds to the flight in question. Then hit save to file. It should create one .DAT file per step 5.

How to retrieve a .DAT

Not able to see vote button on iPad. That said I've just bought my p4p and its happened a couple of times already. I thought it might be the software / phone but I then upgraded to iPad mini 4 and it still happens.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I see we have now 10 instances of gps loss (once of more) which I would say is considerable. For those not able to vote, note that this only works in your browser and not in app on tablet or phone.

Lost GPS again today. After having a full 14 Satellites. Here is a screen shot. It was not in sight so used the video feed to bring her home. Just missed a few poles and buildings as it was drifting with the wind at quite a rate! I landed reconnected and was able to fly with GPS for awhile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170104-174947.png
    Screenshot_20170104-174947.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 231
Something to mention, not sure if this crosses over from the mavic. But, basically, they discovered that when flying at higher speeds, there is enough electronic noise generated by the motor that is causes interference with the rear (primary) compass. This noise causes the flight controller in the mavic to get confused about what it's being told, and as a safety measure it drops into ATTI mode even when there are full GPS satellites, and you get a GPS error on the controller.

Makes me wonder if this is the same thing happening on the P4P. The mavic DJI knows now and is fixing.

My blow away really has me on edge now. It's totally changed my flight behaviour to assume that it could happen any flight. The plus side is that it's making me a much better flyer and being in tune with wind influences etc. You really don't want this to happen upstream of a structure. Last night when practicing loss of GPS, the P4P was going from stand still to 25km/h in seconds after dropping into Atti mode. Not much time to realise what's happening and take over (especially if the brain is working on a task like taking photos).

So I had to upgrade my vote as this happened again. Rather scary as I was just having a very quick session in moderate+ wind and little clearance, and was looking for a good spot for a panorama. At 43 meters (in the woods about 25 meters above the trees) I found myself with no gps, dropping from 17 satellites with no visible interference (and all bars filled).

As I was standing on a path with limited sight (about 6-7 meters side-to-side with trees cutting the sight on both sides) getting caught by the wind was rather nerve-wrecking. I lowered the drone to just above the trees trying to minimize the wind-drift and was off by some 23 meters when it regained reception 20 seconds later. I am certainly not happy with this recurring error and would consider vlos a absolute must for now.

One thing is for sure, I need to improve my atti skills in case this happens again.

At the very least, I got this one just before I lost control (I cancelled the panorama this time).

sunset_frognerseteren.jpg

Reactions: azgeek
So I had to upgrade my vote as this happened again. Rather scary as I was just having a very quick session in moderate+ wind and little clearance, and was looking for a good spot for a panorama. At 43 meters (in the woods about 25 meters above the trees) I found myself with no gps, dropping from 17 satellites with no visible interference (and all bars filled).

As I was standing on a path with limited sight (about 6-7 meters side-to-side with trees cutting the sight on both sides) getting caught by the wind was rather nerve-wrecking. I lowered the drone to just above the trees trying to minimize the wind-drift and was off by some 23 meters when it regained reception 20 seconds later. I am certainly not happy with this recurring error and would consider vlos a absolute must for now.

One thing is for sure, I need to improve my atti skills in case this happens again.

At the very least, I got this one just before I lost control (I cancelled the panorama this time).

View attachment 76645

Fint på Frognerseteren ;)

There seems to be a inconsistency between the displayed sats and the actual reception, which often confuses the software and disengage the P mode, im surprised we have only seen one fw update so far this year...

Reactions: KevMo Photog

View attachment 76645
Dang that's scary man! Hoping for an update to address a couple of things sounds like. Nice shot btw.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT