P4P camera problem

Reaction score
What is wrong with my camera?
Iso 100
Auto f stop
Auto shutter speed

Photos look very grainy. I have tried a cleaned UV filter, CPL filter, and ND filters just for being desperate to see any variation. Same thing every time. Lens is cleaned on the outside. I dont know what else to try
DJI_0221.JPG

My experience is when my photographs get grainy is when I've unexposed them and I also find DJI cameras can be a bit noisy as well. Your challenge here is that you have a very bright sky and a dark house. If you expose for the house, the sky will be very bright or even blown out (overexposed). If you expose for the sky then the house will be too dark. I used ND filters mostly for video work. There are times I use them in photography, but that is for things like long exposures and such.

Something you can try below is to find the setting that doesn't blow out the sky or make the house too dark and keep the grain/noise to a minimum.
Set your camera to A (aperture priority), watch your EV value and adjust your aperture until it is at 0, take a photo, then adjust the aperture until EV = +0.3, take a photo, then adjust the aperture until EV = +0.7 and take a photo, then adjust the aperture until EV = +1.0, take a photo. Then look at those and find out which is the best balance between the house and the sky. Is that one still grainy/noisy?

You could also keep in Auto mode and use the EV + and - buttons and adjust the exposure, the same as above. Again keep an eye on shutter speed.

Also, keep an eye on your shutter speed so it doesn't get too slow. Try to keep it above 1/30 typically, depending on how windy it is. It's always a balancing act between ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

Hopefully, that will give you a setting that you can use for bright skies and solve the grain problem.

Once you have an image with the least amount of grain/noise and best compromise for exposure, you can also run that through editing software that has noise reduction as part of it. Depending upon price and capabilities you can look at Lightroom, Luminar, Photoshop as starting places.

Here are some examples using your jpeg image above. These are quick and dirty and there are some artifacts in the images from the noise reduction and the manipulation of the JPEF image, but this will give you some idea of what you can do. I've uploaded to Dropbox with links so you can see the JPEGs at 100% quality level.

Photoshop with Topaz Labs AI Clear link here.
AirMagic link here.

The other thing to try is to shoot in RAW. RAW has more dynamic range. This means it sometimes will let you have a very bright sky and darker, in this case, house, and be able to recover the bright areas and the dark areas.

Let me know how it goes!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers