P4P and DJI

Reaction score
Christmas was good to me this year and I wanted to get a Phantom 4 Pro. have been reading some great things about them and YouTube is awash in people talking at length about all the new and great features. So what has been keeping me from hitting that "add to cart" button? well... in a nut shell I keep reading things that paint DJI in a bad light. I'm not new to drones (I've owned several) I've never owned a DJI product before and they seem to polarize people very quickly into two camps, Love and Hate.

First, I want to say that I am genuinely looking for this community's opinion. and second, I'm truly attempting to keep an open mind. That said.

First question) How are DJI customers addressing DJI's awful customer support? (Their words, not mine) While their drones may be awesome, I've read nothing but bad things about DJI dealing with legitimate customer problems. When you drop $1.5k on a flying camera system from the self-proclaimed front runner in the drone market, what should my expectations be?

Second question) DJI's no fly zones and online permissions based Geo fence. This by far has me the most concerned, I've read several stories about people's drones being forced down by the Geo boundary of things that some times don't even exist. One story I read, the Geo fence forced an Phantom into a river because it suddenly thought it was a near by stadium(there wasn't according to the owner), while the owner stood-by utterly helpless to do anything as it crashed into the water. Other stories about shooting at a remote location only to be told they need to authorize the "Enhanced Warning Zone" area online and being miles from internet unable to do so.

At first I thought this is just a fluk, rarely would happen until I went to DJI's No Fly Zone website, where they show you a map of the geo fences and my house which is 5 miles from a wind turban farm seems to be a "Enhanced Warning Zone" which requires online authorizing it would seem. This is absurd as there is no laws or legal reason for it. Also, they are showing an airport several miles away that hasn't existing for years as a "Enhanced Warning Zone" also (its a drag racing strip now). Is there a way around DJI telling me where I can and can't fly? Perhaps through a different app other then DJI GO or deleting the data base from the app and android device altogether?

Third question) In the fine print the EULA for the Mavic and the Phantom there seems to be alot of language about DJI harvesting data from their customer's use of the drone, everything from where you fly, to the pictures you take. Add to that DJI will "report suspicious activity" to local authorities and it would appear DJI stores much data about you and activatly is sifting through it indefinitely. all this made more complicated by the fact DJI is a Chinese based company not subject to American privacy laws. Is this a concern in the community at large or over active imagination?

The more I read about DJI the more questions marks seem to come up. Again, I'm keeping an open mind and I would like to get the opinion of people already using DJI products and see what you think.
Thanks,

... in a nut shell I keep reading things that paint DJI in a bad light.

Third question) In the fine print the EULA for the Mavic and the Phantom there seems to be alot of language about DJI harvesting data from their customer's use of the drone, everything from where you fly, to the pictures you take. Add to that DJI will "report suspicious activity" to local authorities and it would appear DJI stores much data about you and activatly is sifting through it indefinitely. all this made more complicated by the fact DJI is a Chinese based company not subject to American privacy laws. Is this a concern in the community at large or over active imagination?
I'm going to limit my response here and just say DJI has a more than 70% market share in ready to fly drones. (probably significantly more than 70% now)
Why would this be?

And DJI have no idea where you fly or what you do with your DJI drone unless you choose to share that info with them.
The only info you must give them is a name and email address to activate the aircraft - after that it's up to you.

If you can find a better drone than DJI makes, at a good price, buy it.

Reactions: offlanders and cr6
What Meta4 said.... and I will add that maybe because they have that market share I do not think improving customer service is priority #1, ... innovation and selling I believe to be their #1. I think everyone would like DJI customer service to be better... and it HAS improved from 2 years ago... so I believe while maybe CS is not #1, it does seem to be steadily improving...

...and at this point it's hard to see any other manufacturer give them any real competition... GoPro tried and unfortunately failed (although it is my belief DJI released the Mavic ahead of their intended schedule just to crush GoPro). Yes, DJI is at this point the best game in town, even with it's bumps and lumps... :confused:o_O

Reactions: offlanders
No doubt DJI P4P is one of the best available drones in the market. You won't repent buying it.

As far as the customer service is concerned, some customers are very annoyed whereas some are too happy with the service. There are mixed reactions. Drone is a flying object and one crash takes its life. Something or the other goes bad. If customers feel it was a DJI issue then they face problems if they can't prove it. Who usually admits the fault.

I have no complain about NFZs as even before flying one can always figure out the nearest NFZ from DJI s shown map. P4 will follow the map irrespective of if it's right or wrong. If you are flying, you should see the limits shown on its map.

DJI can look at your flying pattern if you share with it and there is really no need to share your content. I always fly with airplane mode on and never synch my data with DJI site.

After it this is my personal view and you should evaluate on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Def agree with what's been said! I have had 2 P4's this year and now a P4 Pro as of a month ago. So impressed with the quality of these birds! And I am sure that DJI's customer service has gotten better too. I had one P4 that the gimble fan stopped working on. Sent it in and had it back in less than 2 weeks. They put a brand new camera and gimble assembly in it under warranty for me. I was very happy with their service!

Thank you all for your replies. It's good to know if I do have problems there is an active group of enthusiasts here to help me. I'm still concerned about the no fly zones, and I currently don't see any solutions. Its interesting to note the no fly zone problem is large enough a company CopterSafe makes a board to get around the whole problem and seems to make enough business to justify the continued commercial sale of their products. Hopefully they will develop tools for the P4P in the near future.
Again thank you for your replies...

I bought the P4Pro as soon as it was released which ended up being defective. I contacted dji for a replacement ,mailed the defective drone back free of charge and within a week(Christmas day right smack in the middle of the week) I had a brand new drone on my doorstep again free of charge. It works great! Customer service isnt so great on chat but if you call you get a way better experience. I called and talked to a supervisor a few days after they recieved the defective unit because I hadn't heard anything yet,that same day I had a tracking number for next day delivery. So all in all I say it was pretty painless. I love the Phantom series especially the P4Pro. It's pretty amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl