P4P and Davinci Resolve questions

Reaction score
So this might be more of a editing question than a Phantom question, but Im a bit lost.

I have been using the Mavic for a couple months and loved it. So much so that I wanted to take it up a notch and I got the P4P!! However, my first few attempts with this new drone have not gone so well.

I have been filming in higher resolutions to improve on my mavic/1080p footage. So i have been using 2.7k/30fps - after much research there seems to be a good consensus that this is a great setting, even when you end up exporting at 1080p, which is my plan.

I use Davinci resolve and have had no problems in the past, (with mavic) but now my 2.7k videos rendered at 1080 are terrible. They are blotchy, pixelated, jumpy (not smooth motion)... the 2.7k from the P4P is worse than the 1080 in the mavic.

However, if I render it at 2.7k it looks great. This sets up my 2 questions:

1. Why does 2.7k rendered at 1080p look so bad (worse than just 1080 shot & 1080 rendered)--I must be doing something wrong because it seems to work for everyone else.

2. Why does the Davinci render of 2.7k have a 12 times larger file size? Shouldn't it be more like 2-3 times bigger? My 30 sec clip was 40mb in 1080 and almost 500mb in 2.7k --somethings wrong, right?

Does anyone here shoot at 2.7k and render to 1080p in Davinci? Do you get good results?

I plan on uploading to YouTube where it will be viewed in 1080 most of the time, thus filming and rendering in 2.7 k will destroy my disk space and end up being pointless anyway. I just want a better looking 1080p clip and at this point my Mavic footage is much much better (and $1800 cheaper too)

Thank you so much for any help/tips/guidance...

Ok, so I am back to answer my own question for any other newbies like me that runs into this... BITRATE was the main issue. I guess resolve was rendering at the same bitrate i filmed at (100) and thats why I had huge file sizes. Also, apparently when I downscaled to 1080 it seriously lowered the bitrate and made the 1080 look terrible.

In addition, I have moved over to Adobe Premiere Pro and so far all is well. I am liking the export options/choices much more --as well as the overall interface-- and my exported movies look great and are manageable file size.

So the answer is change the bitrates to what YouTube wants (or close to it) and probably leave Resolve for the experts. Premiere Pro is also for experts, but seems to have an easier learning curve for me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers