P4 vision sensor problems

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m new to this hobby and I have a problem that’s driving me insane. I bought a used P4 and all was good on the test flight, no issues at all. Got it home and loaded the DJI assistant 2 software on my PC. I noticed that the drone firmware was 2 versions old. I updated the firmware and this is when the problems started. I keep getting forward vision sensor and downward vision sensor errors. This doesn’t happen always but certainly 95% of the time. I’ve recalibrated the sensors I don’t know how many times but to no avail. I’ve even rolled back the firmware but can only go back one version, not to the original one though. While the fault is present, I noticed that the firmware version is “unknown “, when the fault is clear it reports the correct version. I’ve tried all sequences of starting up but to no avail. I sometimes get everything working ok but this involves turning the controller off and back on again in flight, a method I’m not happy about and not one that works every time. Any help will earn my undying gratitude

OK this reply is not too helpful, but I had exactly the same problems, did all the things you have tried, re calibrating, roll back firmware etc.
Eventually I decided to replace the sensor module, and it all worked OK.
There is just a possibility you have a loose connector on the module, if you feel you have the skills, try re seating the connectors.
It is not too difficult. Loads of videos on youtube on dismantling P4.
Good luck

Hi all. I’m new to this hobby and I have a problem that’s driving me insane. I bought a used P4 and all was good on the test flight, no issues at all. Got it home and loaded the DJI assistant 2 software on my PC. I noticed that the drone firmware was 2 versions old. I updated the firmware and this is when the problems started. I keep getting forward vision sensor and downward vision sensor errors. This doesn’t happen always but certainly 95% of the time. I’ve recalibrated the sensors I don’t know how many times but to no avail. I’ve even rolled back the firmware but can only go back one version, not to the original one though. While the fault is present, I noticed that the firmware version is “unknown “, when the fault is clear it reports the correct version. I’ve tried all sequences of starting up but to no avail. I sometimes get everything working ok but this involves turning the controller off and back on again in flight, a method I’m not happy about and not one that works every time. Any help will earn my undying gratitude
I would reload the firmware and recalibrate all sensors. I had a similar problem with a P4P+.

OK this reply is not too helpful, but I had exactly the same problems, did all the things you have tried, re calibrating, roll back firmware etc.
Eventually I decided to replace the sensor module, and it all worked OK.
There is just a possibility you have a loose connector on the module, if you feel you have the skills, try re seating the connectors.
It is not too difficult. Loads of videos on youtube on dismantling P4.
Good luck
Thanks for your response Jayfdee, much appreciated. I’m still inclined to lean towards a software issue though because I still have the failure of reporting its software version which coincides with the sensor fault. It DOES occasionally boot up without a problem though, but it’s rare and not repeatable.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
I would reload the firmware and recalibrate all sensors. I had a similar problem with a P4P+.
Thanks shammel00. I’m about to try that AGAIN. I’m going to delete and reinstall the software on my PC and I’ll upgrade to the latest version of firmware. I’ve also reloaded the dji go4 app on my iPad mini. That should cover all bases. Apart from that, I’ve absolutely no idea :-(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20