P4 Verge Not for Everyone

One of the previous DJI videos had drones zooming through the woods and avoiding obstacles. This will not be the case.
Although as someone has mentioned, Intel has demonstrated real-time obstacle avoidance and the ability to keep going.

Do you think the P3P ND filters will fit the 4?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Acconding to DJI Ken P3P filters will fit.
Thanks for you reply.
I have only just bought the pro but I have sent it back to store because of focus issues but I have the ND 8 and 16 filters.
They have said they will give me a refund if I want.
I was thinking of just getting the P4 and keeping the filters to save money.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Forward looking obstacle avoidance is kind of moot, considering that orbiting, running parallel to a subject,
fly outs, and and point of interest all put the UAV in an attitude that makes the technology moot. It's cool,
but as I've only hit a wall once (indoors), I backed into it... $20 Prop guards saved my P3.

I think the P4 is all about having the collision avoidance on the market 1st, as Yuneec plans on launching on March 15th, last I heard.
The Yuneec Typhoon H is obviously a threat... IF I were to be considering a new UAV, at this point and time I'd be
holding off to see just what Yuneec brings to market... Two weeks isn't a lot of time, but a Hexcopter with optional 360*
collision avoidance IS worth waiting to at least SEE before buying anything.

Reactions: flyNfrank
Do you think paint spray will convince you to order one and blacken it ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh I pre-ordered a P4. Coming from a P3P, which I loved,I believe this is a significant improvement on the platform. I love the additional speed,CO,improved camera,shell etc. Clearly I would like even more battery time, 4K at 60fps,etc., but this is a good move forward. I'm surprised at how many are complaining about omissions from the P4.
Excited about the new product.

There is no 4K at 60fps on the p4

In the Tested intro the video quality is atrocious. As it flies, you can see as if a poor frame rate, possibly due to shutter speed and the exposure is having trouble coping with the color a detail of the grass. The last time I saw video like that was the P2V.
that's just you tube like quality, you always get poor frames when streaming video!

Forward looking obstacle avoidance is kind of moot, considering that orbiting, running parallel to a subject,
fly outs, and and point of interest all put the UAV in an attitude that makes the technology moot. It's cool,
but as I've only hit a wall once (indoors), I backed into it... $20 Prop guards saved my P3.

I think the P4 is all about having the collision avoidance on the market 1st, as Yuneec plans on launching on March 15th, last I heard.
The Yuneec Typhoon H is obviously a threat... IF I were to be considering a new UAV, at this point and time I'd be
holding off to see just what Yuneec brings to market... Two weeks isn't a lot of time, but a Hexcopter with optional 360*
collision avoidance IS worth waiting to at least SEE before buying anything.

I just looked at the spec's on the Yuneec Typhoon H and came across a large red flag. There is NO Light Bridge which limits the flight distance to or below 1500ft. Folding arms and retractable landing gear wont mean much for a $1800 drone that will see many video dropouts and a limited flight distance because of it. There just would not be any over-coming that kind of limitation.

So...then step back and consider the fact you can nearly have 2 PBP's with flight distances of roughly 2-3+ miles around the same cost.

Reactions: Meta4
I just looked at the spec's on the Yuneec Typhoon H and came across a large red flag. There is NO Light Bridge which limits the flight distance to or below 1500ft. Folding arms and retractable landing gear wont mean much for a $1800 drone that will see many video dropouts and a limited flight distance because of it. There just would not be any over-coming that kind of limitation.

So...then step back and consider the fact you can nearly have 2 PBP's with flight distances of roughly 2-3+ miles around the same cost.

A good point Frank, however, and depending on real world feedback from early adopters, I am adding a Typhoon H to my existing fleet rather than going with the P4. By keeping my P3P (with over 150 flights and 1,200,000 feet travelled), I retain the option of lightbridge range. However, and because of the H's 360 degree camera, retracting landing gear, and motor redundancy, I would gain a much safer and more flexible photographic/videographic platform for use in more populated environments. To remind us all and give lip service to the current FAA advisories, flights beyond Visual Lines of Sight (VLOS being, in my experience, between 1000 feet and 2100 feet) violate those advisories. I'm not saying I have never, or will never fly beyond VLOS, but hey, what the heck.
Another reason for adding a Typhoon H is that all the accessories that would cost me hundreds of dollars to convert to a P4 come with the H (extra battery, hardshell case, video device, although it is not clear whether the steady cam device that came with other Typhoon models will be included in the price of the H).
Finally, I would never consider replacing my P3P but adding a ship to my fleet...... the P4 doesn't have the chops and I am unwilling to commit to spending the money required to get into any level of the Inspire lineup.

A good point Frank, however, and depending on real world feedback from early adopters, I am adding a Typhoon H to my existing fleet rather than going with the P4. By keeping my P3P (with over 150 flights and 1,200,000 feet travelled), I retain the option of lightbridge range. However, and because of the H's 360 degree camera, retracting landing gear, and motor redundancy, I would gain a much safer and more flexible photographic/videographic platform for use in more populated environments. To remind us all and give lip service to the current FAA advisories, flights beyond Visual Lines of Sight (VLOS being, in my experience, between 1000 feet and 2100 feet) violate those advisories. I'm not saying I have never, or will never fly beyond VLOS, but hey, what the heck.
Another reason for adding a Typhoon H is that all the accessories that would cost me hundreds of dollars to convert to a P4 come with the H (extra battery, hardshell case, video device, although it is not clear whether the steady cam device that came with other Typhoon models will be included in the price of the H).
Finally, I would never consider replacing my P3P but adding a ship to my fleet...... the P4 doesn't have the chops and I am unwilling to commit to spending the money required to get into any level of the Inspire lineup.

No doubt it should exciting to have multiple units. But, I'm not so sure about the "use in more populated environments" that you mentioned. I do know it's highly frowned on to operate above groups of people.

The P4 is faster in its "Sports' mode, however in normal GPS mode, it is slower than the P3 (they have had to do that because collision avoidance is not at a stage yet where it will work at high speed). Just how much slower it will be interesting to see. Slower speed in GPS mode is definitely not a plus for me...

The tracking mode is great, but going off the youtube "Tested" video, it kind of looks like it hasn't quite been perfected yet...
Sports mode does not use the collision avoidance but it does use GPS and VPS so basically it is like flying in atti speeds with GPS and VPS.

No doubt it should exciting to have multiple units. But, I'm not so sure about the "use in more populated environments" that you mentioned. I do know it's highly frowned on to operate above groups of people.

You are currently correct about flying in more populated environments, however I believe, in the long run, and with increased education and reliability, we will see a relaxing of this prohibition with the first waivers being issued to sUAS that have redundant propulsion. As the hobby becomes more mainstream and accepted, overflights will generate fewer concerns.

You are currently correct about flying in more populated environments, however I believe, in the long run, and with increased education and reliability, we will see a relaxing of this prohibition with the first waivers being issued to sUAS that have redundant propulsion. As the hobby becomes more mainstream and accepted, overflights will generate fewer concerns.
just like when you see an airmed or news helicopter fly over now, I bet in the 1940's that would have made some people feel unsafe but we feel perfectly safe now.

just like when you see an airmed or news helicopter fly over now, I bet in the 1940's that would have made some people feel unsafe but we feel perfectly safe now.

I can remember Chicago in 1960 after a WGN radio traffic copter crashed killing the pilot and the reporter, "Officer" Leonard Baldy (RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Larry Murray & Carole King Murray Family). The tail rotor failed and as it fell from 200 feet, it hit a bridge and the wreckage was scattered over 2 blocks. I remember my parents talking with their friends about how crazy it was to fly those things around people.

Reactions: Sinisalo
I can remember Chicago in 1960 after a WGN radio traffic copter crashed killing the pilot and the reporter, "Officer" Leonard Baldy (RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Larry Murray & Carole King Murray Family). The tail rotor failed and as it fell from 200 feet, it hit a bridge and the wreckage was scattered over 2 blocks. I remember my parents talking with their friends about how crazy it was to fly those things around people.
Yeah, people feel safe around them but they aren't, how many bystanders have died from helicopters crashing? How many bystanders have died from a quadcopter crashing? I don't know why everyone is so anti "drone"

Oh I pre-ordered a P4. Coming from a P3P, which I loved,I believe this is a significant improvement on the platform. I love the additional speed,CO,improved camera,shell etc. Clearly I would like even more battery time, 4K at 60fps,etc., but this is a good move forward. I'm surprised at how many are complaining about omissions from the P4.
Excited about the new product.

Good for you, I pre-ordered one as well.
I can't understand all the negativity out there for the P4, when it has not even been shipped yet.
Hopefully it WILL NOT as many issues as the P3 when it was introduced, (shell cracks, fragile gimbals, tilted horizon), which to some extent have not been completely resolved a year later.
Cruise over to the P3P/ P3A forum to see what I mean.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20