P4 settings for night video

Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm looking to shoot a video in the dark, total night. I plan to have my P4 15 to 25 ft above the subject which is a scene in a haunted trail, just hovering. There will be "some" light below but very dim possibly blueish lighting. Can someone more in the know than I suggest some settings for best exposure? Thanks

Hey gang, I'm looking to shoot a video in the dark, total night. I plan to have my P4 15 to 25 ft above the subject which is a scene in a haunted trail, just hovering. There will be "some" light below but very dim possibly blueish lighting. Can someone more in the know than I suggest some settings for best exposure? Thanks
Cameras require light to be able to record an image.
No (visible light) cameras work well in darkness.
If your subject matter is as dark as it sounds the results won't be very good.
Try some testing to see what it's like.
Auto settings would be as good (?) as anything.

Forget even trying to get any useful video in these circumstances. Even with a full moon in an open area and no cloud a typical exposure for ISO100 would be 1 minute @f2.8. At 1/50s shutter for a 24fps franerate your ISO would need to be over 100000 and you would still be close to 2 stops underexposed. The P4 camera is basically a higher end mobile phone sensor, great with reasonable light but a poor low light performer. There are trade offs with such a small sensor and high MP count.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
Like Meta4 said testing before would be a good idea. If auto doesn't give you good results try higher ISO settings. The problem with this is higher ISOs generally mean more noise in the picture. If your subjects are stationary you may have better luck with longer shutter speeds.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl