P4 owner in trouble with the law......

It may also just be hearsay. The reporting person may actually lie.
That's not what hearsay means. If the reporting person said that they heard it from someone else, that would be hearsay.

The reporting person claims to be an eyeball, first-person witness, so that's not hearsay. They could still be lying, but that would have to be proven.

HOWEVER, I'm sad to hear this as well, because up to now, I've been able to say "when was the last time you heard someone using one of these loud things as a peeping device?".

Good for that neighbor and the police. Bad news for the jackwagon who is using his drone in a nefarious way. It's jerks like that who could screw with our industry. Knock it off!

Hilariously funny! They should have added "Have you ever posted a message impersonating the good men and women of the Orem drone patrol squad?"

What question do you think they should have added?

I agree 100% but if this guy is doing this with his Quad Copter then he deserves whatever the law has to offer. What a despicable thing to do. It's like trespassing but on a much different scale.

If he actually did this, they should ban his ownership of these devices for life.

Bud

This would be the first ever case I've heard of with someone using a drone to be a "voyeur" and I am already suspicious. Call me crazy, but I continue to think that a blinking, buzzing machine with a wide angle lens that lasts only 15 minutes is not exactly the best choice to covertly spy on your neighbors.

I don't know how else to state this...the general public is completely ignorant when it comes to anything drone. I fly over my own very large property daily, yet the nearest neighbor calls the police about my "illegal" drone. Complete stupidity and laziness, when it would have taken that person 30 seconds with a Google search to find out about flying regs. No matter what you do as a safe responsible pilot, some folks will just be stupid, because they are afraid of what they don't understand.

Reactions: Apilot101
DJI PHANTOM 3 PHOTO.jpg Having been a school teacher for 37 years realize that many individual do not consider consequences 'or think choices through. Don't do Stupid ! At least the Orem pilot didn't have a drone with a chain saw attached

PeepingTom.jpg

It looks like the pilot is definitely in trouble. The Orem, Utah City Code does not seem to have any privacy or trespassing laws on the books, but their Code specifically adopts Utah State Code (http://exe.orem.org/citycode/Chap_09.pdf).

The State Code has it pretty clearly laid out that you can't go taking images of folks like the pilot has apparently done, assuming the pilot is not a minor. Had anyone on his micro SD card been under 14 years old, he'd be in even worse troube for his (or her) voyeurism; that would have been a felony (Utah State Legislature).

I would suppose most places are similar in this way. Bottom line: I would not want to be in this guy's shoes...at all. Chances are pretty good he will lose $1000, plus his drone, plus his registration (and cert, if he has one). Kind of an expensive thing to do.

PS: He or she should have simply climbed a tree and used regular optical binoculars....or, done nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommymonkey
Here it comes, Background checks required before the purchase of a drone. Although I am being somewhat light-hearted here, It is people who abuse privileges, that project a "bad rap" for the drone hobbyist and those who try to do the right thing. I have always been of the opinion that my personal rights are valid so long as they do not infringe upon someone else's. Like many other products, when placed in the wrong hands, bad things can happen. IMHO, we need to be careful that it is not the case of a drone being in the wrong place, but a "pervert using an instrument of convenience to carry out his sick mission". Guns don't kill people - people with guns kill people.

I'd expect them to get a warrant and knock on the suspects door, maybe they already have an haven't publicized it. do criminals really read the police dept facebook feed? seems like a wierd way to search for someone suspected of a crime.

I didn't read this whole thread but if this was my local PD I would be asking them why the heck are they playing games with a potential criminal. Either go get him/her and press charges or give the drone back if they know who it belongs to and shut up about it. Police should never be playing word games like this. Makes them look juvenile OR maybe that PD is droneophobic (new word) and are trying to intimidate all the nasty drone flyers from buzzing around their area.

Reactions: N017RW
Most jurisdictions, neighbor/victim of voyeurism chases it down and turns it over to police=no governmental search or seizure, unless the government put him up to it, making him a government agent. Your jurisdiction may vary, but in some jurisdictions police searching the sd card without a warrant might be a problem, smart police will get a warrant at that point, then view the sd card. Like some of you I'm puzzled by police putting out press release instead of going after him, particularly if the videos are that incriminating. Almost makes the lizard in the back of my brain wonder if they realize they grabbed the sd card too quickly and are looking for a way around a warrantless search by getting the owner/perv to turn himself in, possibly plugging a hole in their case. In any event, I'd be quite surprised if every jurisdiction didn't hold that somebody taking a shower/bath in their second story bathroom enjoys an unqualified right of privacy, without having to put up a curtain, assuming we're talking about single family housing, which Orem's got a lot of.

I've said this before--too bad there's not a good national drone operators' association to put some distance between this clown and the rest of us. All we can do now is hope the story dies.

Peace.

Reactions: Phil Tuggle
I don't know how else to state this...the general public is completely ignorant when it comes to anything drone. I fly over my own very large property daily, yet the nearest neighbor calls the police about my "illegal" drone. Complete stupidity and laziness, when it would have taken that person 30 seconds with a Google search to find out about flying regs. No matter what you do as a safe responsible pilot, some folks will just be stupid, because they are afraid of what they don't understand.

I would probably have sued the ignorant sob to teach him a lesson ... assuming I'm allowed to over-react and call 911 on a whim.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've said this before--too bad there's not a good national drone operators' association to put some distance between this clown and the rest of us. All we can do now is hope the story dies.

Peace.

There is -- the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). They're the only one recognized by the FAA as having the performance-based rules to apply for CFR 46 Part 101 (hobbyist) flying. You don't have to be a member, just follow their rules, and you're covered for Part 101. No pilot license required. They also have a pretty involved lobbying effort both at the federal, state, and local levels to protect the rights of hobby flyers.

Cheers

Coolpix P900 = DSLR? epic!
Not exactly. It's a very sophisticated point and shoot, with a sensor the same size as the P3 and the P4, and a massive lens which cannot be removed, and is only capable of shooting jpg with no raw/.NEF capability. Looks like it's a peeper's dream camera, though! :p

Lol, I do photography for wildlife anyone handled DSLR camera will know.
This is my DSLR camera
You can pickup that camera here in the uk for less than £450 the zoom is amazing tried one last month imagining future phantom equip with that technology.
Now that is worrying.

Reactions: Indiana Scott
You can pickup that camera here in the uk for less than £450 the zoom is amazing tried one last month imagining future phantom equip with that technology.
Now that is worrying.
The humongous lens attached to the Coolpix P 900 to achieve that level of optical zoom would require an Inspire-like drone to support and control it. That would, however, be a Peeper's dream drone! :p

PEople are so ready to believe anything they are told. I googled the Orem story and found no more then what was "quoted" by the "News. And no word of the story beyond that initial story, from a Facebook story. I just read about people who plant false stories on Facebook just to get a penny a pop for those of us who click on such alluring stories. 4 pages of comments on this string has probably garnered a few more clicks. Police don't use these tactics when they are investigating perverts. They wouldn't expect a known violator to turn himself in for anything. And they certainly wouldn't use such levity.
If you want to believe such tripe, go ahead. But I know a lot about press and police and all of this sounds like somebody Is enjoying rattling cages, and those of you who are getting your hostilities out on fictitious scenerios have imagined all kinds of pretty unlikely possibilities. But it all contributes to the popular occupation of the unreasonable drone haters. Sad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj