P4 on Casey Neistat

This guy Casey is the BEST!

Seems he has a few vlogs now with footage from the P4. He's crashed it a few times it seems. The one in Central park, and he seemed to hit a boat in another video where he's using the board and getting footage of himself along a pier. Pretty sure that most of the stuff is illegal or at least not permitted but he seems to do things like that and gets away with it. Like riding the boostboard or bike and film himself talking. I have seen him in other videos riding a skateboard thru an airport where staff members tell him it's not allowed and he just ignores it and keeps going. Maybe he's at the point that he's now a youtube celebrity and can get away with a lot of these things. He doesn't seem bothered about ignoring some rules when filming.

As for how the P4 ends up in the water. My guess is that it didn't really crash when he hit the land but he pulled it back and then tried to get back thru the tunnel. Maybe in the tunnel it lost GPS and started to drift along with a backwards orientation he managed to put it into the wall. Water didn't look too deep in there which may also account why they didn't just take the boat in there.

Now it seems he's flying it out his office window and outside, which is crazy with all the buildings and interference in NYC. Being on a rooftop and doing a flight is one situation but out the window while still inside is another.

In his vlog today he's flying from building tops in downtown SF - is that area a NFZ? Since his youtube channel is monetized isn't' his flying technically "commercial"?

In his vlog today he's flying from building tops in downtown SF - is that area a NFZ? Since his youtube channel is monetized isn't' his flying technically "commercial"?

not to mention he enters the apple store and buys another p4 because he forgot the other one at ny and he should have registered it in order to fly.

Yet the FAA is trolling on these boards...

Yet the FAA is trolling on these boards...
And it seems the FAA contacts some kid with a few hundred views that has nature footage on their site and Casey has 2.5million followers, yet nothing. I'm pretty sure that he is mostly responsible with it, the problem isn't so much him as more 'monkey see, monkey do'. Though there was the Russian guy who got a fine in NYC when his kid crashed a drone at the Thanksgivings day parade.

not to mention he enters the apple store and buys another p4 because he forgot the other one at ny and he should have registered it in order to fly.
Even if he did really forget it, I wonder if it still flys and records since putting it into the lake in Central Park. Though It was still beeping when he pulls it out of the water, may have only damaged some of the ESCs and camera.

casey has landed in france.

wonder if he will continue using drone footage in his vlog considering paris is a no fly zone.

Just saw that in the vlog today. Guess we'll see. Maybe they plan on going outside of Paris as well? Lots of great country when you get outside the city.

Seems that in one of the recent episodes he got 3 new P4's from DJI and he's giving them away. He still flies it in the city right from the balcony and over buildings. He also crashed another one into the stanchion on the Williamsburg bridge and I guess it's still on the pylon.

Seems that in one of the recent episodes he got 3 new P4's from DJI and he's giving them away. He still flies it in the city right from the balcony and over buildings. He also crashed another one into the stanchion on the Williamsburg bridge and I guess it's still on the pylon.

some guys retrieved it and brought it back to him.

also, if you go out and buy another drone, you dont have to register it... youre initial registration applies to your other UASes.

some guys retrieved it and brought it back to him.

also, if you go out and buy another drone, you dont have to register it... youre initial registration applies to your other UASes.

Yep.. just got thru the next video where that happens.. Also gave away one of the drones too. Still catching up.

Don't you have to put on the registration number on every one that you own?

Yep.. just got thru the next video where that happens.. Also gave away one of the drones too. Still catching up.

Don't you have to put on the registration number on every one that you own?
thats what they say (and what I do)

have you seen yesterdays vlog?

he takes off from a boat in central park...
isnt central park a nofly zone?
if so, how was he able to take off?
at the end he crashes the drone to a tree and "magically" it appears in the lake.

so like cale262 says im pretty sure he really knows what he is doing and how to fly, and acts like if hes a noob, but how is it that he can take off in manhattan (from his appartment, in central park, etc)?
The city is not a hard wired NFZ. You just aren't allowed to fly in it.

casey has landed in france.

wonder if he will continue using drone footage in his vlog considering paris is a no fly zone.

He did bring his P4, but he is not in Paris. He is over at south of France by the coast for some mb event.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You do realize that they paid him 2 Million Dollars for his HBO series. Right.

With that income and the revenue that YouTube provides I am sure his is actually above the rules.

Its not a fair comparison with his apparent funds and income to the "average" drone flyer. His wife's family is also rumored to be sporting deep pockets.

The guy has a wonderful ability to take quality video and uses his editing skills to their fullest extent. He has an unorthodox film and editing style that many YouTubers try and copy and receive flack for.

I like the fact that he gives the virtual middle finger to those who insist on over regulating an activity that we all enjoy.

Reactions: KidKobe210
The city is not a hard wired NFZ. You just aren't allowed to fly in it.
About half of central park is within airport limits (JFK, Teterboro, and LaGuardia all overlap) I haven't tried it, just going by maps. On that note though, the B4UFLY app is ridiculous as it counts helipads which are on every corporate building throughout the metro region.

Just watched this and thought, man this is literally textbook example what people should not be doing with a new drone. Didn't read any instructions, almost didn't calibrate anything. Sent it off without a plan, didn't know how to get it back, flying it over people. Not knowing local flying laws. And people wonder why Phantoms have a bad reputation.
I completely agree with you. This is a great example of what not to do, and why the hobby is becoming more regulated. I hope since this video he has learned the ins & outs of RC flying and is enjoying the hobby responsibly.

You do realize that they paid him 2 Million Dollars for his HBO series. Right.

With that income and the revenue that YouTube provides I am sure his is actually above the rules.

Its not a fair comparison with his apparent funds and income to the "average" drone flyer. His wife's family is also rumored to be sporting deep pockets.

The guy has a wonderful ability to take quality video and uses his editing skills to their fullest extent. He has an unorthodox film and editing style that many YouTubers try and copy and receive flack for.

I like the fact that he gives the virtual middle finger to those who insist on over regulating an activity that we all enjoy.

He does use the Drone shots and footage really well, it's never over the top, or too long. He must have some crazy skills now when flying since he flys and films himself while riding the boosted board or a bike. The current videos he's filming while they are in the car or going swimming in the sea. He's definitely getting footage that most people wouldn't feel comfortable doing. Since he's also a media/press person, I'm sure he's learned how to talk to people regarding issues while filming.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj