P3S Questions - Potential Buyer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've owned a used P2V for about 6 months, but am very tempted to buy a P3S as the video quality looks so much better. I browse these forums quite a bit though, and notice regular P3 threads about:

1) Crashes due to battery cutting out in cold weather
2) Cracks appearing in airframe
3) Problems with motors

From what I've seen on here, I believe the battery issues may be resolved by the latest firmware update? Is there anything one can do about the other two issues though, other than monitoring for problems (and hoping that if they're going to crop up, they do so within the warranty period) ?

Thanks for any advice

Danny

For cracks, all you can do is get the shell fixed for free under warranty. Most people do not have cracks in their shells, so the problem seems bigger than it really is.

I'm not aware of any motor problems. What are you referring to?

Have no worries. Just depending on your means. I got it to look for metal detecting spots. No problems. Just flew 1000 meters away after latest update. Of course police are where I wanted to film so about a half mile away I launched and didn't go near it. Typical there on top of rocks I wanted to do a few pans. Not hear of motor problems here either. Good luck.

EDIT*** I took 3 flights today. 2 fine. 50m up 1000 away. 3rd flight 35 m up about 300 m away and rc signal lost. The suggested fix is simply re-syncing controller. Have not tried yet.

Last edited:
RC signal — number one problem, not a motors or plastic.
Sad.

I don't think the crack problems has been on the Phantom 3 Standard. I also have not heard about any motor issues on the Standard.

Reactions: Viktor
Check the rc signal lost threads. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Dude, if the easiest way to increase the 300m of RC distance just relink it, — no one buy a dbs mod and other stuff like that.
You're so funny.

You must have misinterpreted me or crossed wires in some other way. Thanks.

Dude, if the easiest way to increase the 300m of RC distance just relink it, — no one buy a dbs mod and other stuff like that.
You're so funny.

The Standard does not have the cracking problem or the motor issue or even the fly away issue. What it does have is the range issue.

Reactions: Viktor
Thanks for all the responses.

I'm not aware of any motor problems. What are you referring to?

I think I'd seen a thread in the Pro/Advanced forum about some more recently purchased birds having different motors fitted. I didn't read the whole thread but probably (wrongly) assumed that DJI had switched to a new type of motor due to some issue with the old type.

That's interesting about the range issue though - had no idea about that. Is there any indication as yet whether it's likely to be fixable with firmware updates, or is this some kind of fundamental design issue?

I think I'd seen a thread in the Pro/Advanced forum about some more recently purchased birds having different motors fitted. I didn't read the whole thread but probably (wrongly) assumed that DJI had switched to a new type of motor due to some issue with the old type.
DJI often releases new motors mid-model. They have not released any information that indicated the Phantom 3 motor change was due to an issue with the original motors. They did release a short list of improvements, but nobody can seem to tell the difference.

Thanks for all the responses.

That's interesting about the range issue though - had no idea about that. Is there any indication as yet whether it's likely to be fixable with firmware updates, or is this some kind of fundamental design issue?
From what I and many others have experienced, it appears to be a firmware issue. My standard had great range, until I updated the firmware. Since then, it goes rth at any distance randomly, due to signal lost. It can come back 100 percent just by turning the drone one way or the other. You can make it happen merely by using the gimbal control. It makes no sense, seems to have a mind of its own. I took mine apart, thinking it would be a loose connection somewhere, or a cold solder joint. Nope. I ended up just using a signal amplifier, which should give me over the top range, but actually just gives me basically stock P3 standard range reliably.

On batteries the best advice is to always fly with a 100% freshly charged battery. The falling from the sky issue seems to be related to flying with partially charged packs. Cracks in the shell are not new to the P3. P2s suffer the same issue. The shells & motors have been redesigned on the newest models to help alleviate the cracking issue. If it develops stress cracks within the first year (not counting crash cracks!) it is warranted. I am unaware of any P3 motor issues.

The P3S is a hell of deal for $699 with a free hardshell backpack thrown in.

Hey all,

I've owned a used P2V for about 6 months, but am very tempted to buy a P3S as the video quality looks so much better. I browse these forums quite a bit though, and notice regular P3 threads about:

1) Crashes due to battery cutting out in cold weather
2) Cracks appearing in airframe
3) Problems with motors

From what I've seen on here, I believe the battery issues may be resolved by the latest firmware update? Is there anything one can do about the other two issues though, other than monitoring for problems (and hoping that if they're going to crop up, they do so within the warranty period) ?

Thanks for any advice

Danny

The free hardshell backpack deal expired on 12/31 :(
You should read my experience with Best Buy and how they cheated me out of the free case and sold another case to my wife for $100. When I tried to get the free case, they reneged on the offer saying they couldn't retroactively honor the promotion. Filing complaint with the state AG Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks guys. Have been reading up about the range issue - as said above, it does sound like a firmware thing so fingers crossed it gets fixed. Presumably it's advisable to upgrade to latest firmware because of the battery issues, even if it does cause range problems for the time being?

I'm going to take the plunge and buy one anyway, as the image quality looks way better than my P2V (and more stable with the proper gimbal). Have gotten security clearance from the wife too.

I'm based in UK, so the best price I've seen for a new one (from a reputable site) is about £540, which is $800. Of course if anyone in the UK knows somewhere cheaper than that then I'm happy to be corrected.

Time to put the P2V up for sale then :)

Well this morning I almost bought a 3-month old P3A from eBay for £540, but was outbid by another £30. The Advanced would have been nice, mainly for the Lightbridge side of things, but in the end I ordered a new P3S which is arriving tomorrow.

I was a little wary of the P3A anyway as that price is unusually cheap by UK standards, hence why I wasn't prepared to bid any higher than that. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the P3S anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20