P3S continued compass error and POI possible error

Reaction score
Good Morning Guys.

Firstly may I say thanks for a great forum, its been a big help to me.

This is my first post, so go easy and thanks for any help you can offer.

I've had my P3S now for about 6 weeks. I brought it from Jessops and in the main I love it.

Prior to the latest firmware update I had the usual range issues, but the update helped me, I'm glad to say. I have however always had compass errors, initially I put this down to residential area interference. However I've now flown in four different location, two of which should be clear of interference and I still have issue EVERY flight.

I am running all latest firmware and latest DJI GO on my note 4.

I've also noticed that when I do a POI I get these error message on the flight log play back. Could this be linked to the compass errors?

Where would I stand returning this to Jessops in your opinion and would I be right in doing so?

Many thanks, Phil.

Morning Rod, thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I was alone.

As an update, Jessops flipped me towards DJI support. Online support timed me out 10 times in one conversation and were zero help. They want me to send it in, which doesn't sound fair to me?

Have you ever seen the POI error before (if it even is an error)?

Morning Rod, thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I was alone.

As an update, Jessops flipped me towards DJI support. Online support timed me out 10 times in one conversation and were zero help. They want me to send it in, which doesn't sound fair to me?

Have you ever seen the POI error before (if it even is an error)?
Never used the POI, nor did I realize you were getting an error of that, thought you were getting a compass error while you were doing POI.

Repeated compass errors, seem to the compass is defective.

If you understand the compass calibration link, then it probably is the compass.

Rod

Last edited:
So on the 12th December I shipped my P3S back to DJI in the Netherlands. I gave up hoping that either DJI or Jessops would do the right thing.

Today I have received notice that my phantom will be repaired under warranty. As suspected it is having a new compass module.

Phil.

Reactions: RodPad
So on the 12th December I shipped my P3S back to DJI in the Netherlands. I gave up hoping that either DJI or Jessops would do the right thing.

Today I have received notice that my phantom will be repaired under warranty. As suspected it is having a new compass module.

Phil.
Thanks for the update, come back here and tell us If it Good, Bad or .....:eek: ;)

Rod

Good news, I hear turnaround is pretty quick from this point on, hopefully you'll be flying before New Year.

Although I replaced my compass my self, rather than RMA - the fix has transformed the Phantom from an unreliable, potentially dangerous, wannabe flyaway into a great fun, confidence inspiring pleasure to fly. I even did my first litchi pano yesterday - that would have induced multiple compass errors before.

Hey, @xxxntwv , @PaulSouthport

Good to hear some confirmed compass problems on brand new Phantoms.

Here is question for all readers, Is this a problem mostly or always on a P3S?

@Necroscope , I'm with you on sending it end, these parts / connectors are so small, I would break something.

My luck, something else would still be wrong and I would have to send it in anyway.

Rod

RodPad, I've been following quite a few reports of compass errors on here, DJI forum and various FB groups. The majority were/are new P3S. In a lot of cases DJI repaired FOC, involving replacing the landing gear/compass. The RMA route would be best in most cases - I've been building and flying helis, planes and quads since before quads were even a thing you could buy, so for me a straight replacement made sense ( plus i'm way too impatient to send it off to Netherlands over Xmas period). replacing the compass took around 1 hour - fiddly, but not difficult.

I'm guessing DJI got a shipment of bad compasses in production - how and where those went out - no idea, but most appear to be in europe.
Entirely unscientific conclusion by the way, just what I've noticed from the forums.

But, I'm now a very happy P3S flyer!

thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.