P3Pro soft still images

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone else think that the RAW or JPEG images that come off the Phantom 3 are soft and require a lot of sharpening?

As you can see below (left of red line is unsharpened and right of line is sharpened), they do process up nicely in Photoshop / NIK which is no bad thing, but I wonder if the default that others here have found with their stills is soft images?

Best,

Nick
2015-05-27_1022.png

Reactions: jlo
Most likely stating the obvious, but you did remove the protective plastic that covers the lens on a new P3? I wouldn't have flown my first pack this way, I promise :confused:

Hi there,

Does anyone else think that the RAW or JPEG images that come off the Phantom 3 are soft and require a lot of sharpening?

As you can see below (left of red line is unsharpened and right of line is sharpened), they do process up nicely in Photoshop / NIK which is no bad thing, but I wonder if the default that others here have found with their stills is soft images?

Best,

Nick
View attachment 20134

Off topic but is that a community garden or your own?
A nice overlay of whats in each plant section would look cool.

Off topic but is that a community garden or your own?
A nice overlay of whats in each plant section would look cool.

Ha ha that's a communal allotment. Once I've processed up the final image I'll post it onto this thread. But yes, it's interesting how each plot (which belongs to a different person) is completely unique.

Yeah, they are pretty soft. Not terrible for the size sensor in the cam though imo.

Some of my first ones were great but than I started getting slightly out of focus. Amazingly I decided to try capturing images from the flight videos using Aperture 3 and Final Cut pro X. They were much better.

HI Nick, it was interesting to read your post. I found the exact same thing when I first flew my P3P last week, in fact I reckon the images from my Vision + were better straight out of the camera. I'm still not entirely convinced though my first night time images from the weekend have convinced me the P3P does a much better job with that sort of image in low light. And the overall improvements in the P3P are fantastic, well worth the upgrade.
Great final image, too....how many images have you combined into the final?

I agree and was disappointed at the stills. It does seem that my GoPro Black on my P2 took sharper pictires.
It looks like maybe its out of focus a bit not sure.
Do check the sharpness setting in the app as it might be set to a softer setting.

I had the same feeling on my first flight and i was disappointed as well. I always thought this was because i had a massive amount of jello effect. Im one of those P3 owners with a lemon gimbal and my gimbal produces jello even when the motors are off. This could be a reason for softer images as well.

I had the same feeling on my first flight and i was disappointed as well. I always thought this was because i had a massive amount of jello effect. Im one of those P3 owners with a lemon gimbal and my gimbal produces jello even when the motors are off. This could be a reason for softer images as well.
Me to got my RMA and boxed it up today , Got a P3A of Amazon tonight to fill the 6 week gap then will sell:(

Hello guys, it's my first reply here and i just tried my new Phantom 3 Pro for the first time.

There's a big issue with the still quality. I shoot raw and let's face it: 4k video is wow! while the stills are what? At 1/4000, you should have a crispy sharp photo.

12MP versus 4MP (4K) it's not logic. There's a problem somewhere.

Btw, good job Nick! But to be honest, i don't want to apply unsharp mask and more "corrective" filters on every single photo. To add something on a great photo, yes, everytime, but not to make it usable.

I had the same problem. They exchanged it for a new one. I ran some tests on it & it was 100x's better than my first P3. (Almost as sharp as my P2V+) With all the problems with it, I think they are having some trouble with the optics in the new camera.

I had the same problem. They exchanged it for a new one. I ran some tests on it & it was 100x's better than my first P3. (Almost as sharp as my P2V+) With all the problems with it, I think they are having some trouble with the optics in the new camera.

Hi Larry, do you have an exemple for us please? I'd like to see what "100x better" represents to you.

How the optics can be bad when i shoot 4K video at 1/4000 and it looks great..

With every single camera (dslr, mirroless, etc), video looks good while the photos are great, it's just logic, more megapixels, more details, etc. I try to understand if my P3 is defective of not..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair