P3P Worth Fixing?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 3 Pro that I've managed to clipped a twig, flipped upside down, drove prop nuts first into the concrete and then full power'ed in attempts to drive through the earth. With one of the arms cracked it appeared I needed to replace the case which I did. Put everything back together and am airborne and fully functional.... except, the gimbal. I take photos with it but video is impossible. There is a vibrating shake/oscillation to it that isn't going away. I can't see a cause or anything that looks to cause it. I found some 'fixes' online that usually consist of turning a back screw but it did nothing.

I'm at the point now I need to do some video and back looking into repairing it. I was about to send it off to Drone Nerds in south Florida for an estimate but looking around online it seems like the cost of a gimbal is starting to get in the neighborhood of just getting a whole refurbished P3P. I'm open to a P4P or Mavic 2, so am I better off just getting a new drone and not even bothering to repair this one or is there still some value to it in savings?

edit: video sample on post #4

Photo Mar 27, 11 01 38 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantom2USA
If you have the money, it is always nice to have a better drone. Just buy one and sell this one for parts.
This one is so close to being right and is a good model. I would check the gimbal motors and see if they spin OK without a lot of friction. Does any particular action cause it to shake more? I wish I could help you. Good luck.

Well anyone that lays their parts out like that I say has a good start on DIY repair.. although your repair facility is in your home state.
I've recently read the main gimbal board to be at fault for no video feed.. Might try a new cable from device to RC first too.

IMU calibration too

Here's what's happening, I took a sample video. I appreciate you guys commenting. (also yes have done all calibrations or anything software wise I could think of)

Any chance it's a prop, motor mounting issue?

Last edited:
I swear if it's just that I'm going to throw a temper tantrum. Although if one of the motors got some minor damage that would suck too. I'll have to test all this out tonight, run it while it's not under power and see what happens.

I swear if it's just that I'm going to throw a temper tantrum. Although if one of the motors got some minor damage that would suck too. I'll have to test all this out tonight, run it while it's not under power and see what happens.
Did you try to Auto calibrate the camera,,what about those gimble motors when off do they all move nice,no friction,yes I would order ribbon set as a spare in case it is playing up after crash,they are very delicate,,even gimble rulers I know all use 2 like factory fitted but I use 4 ,1 one each corner,that could cure shake to but it's all trial and error

Figured it out I'm pretty sure. After thinking about it, I started hand-turning the motor shafts getting a feeling for their movement. Sure enough, one of them felt a little chunkier. I actually fixed it for a short period of time video wise but you can definitely see something going on with motor movement. I think just swapping out that motor may solve the problem. Thank you all!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4