P3A ditched in the Sea of Cortez

Reaction score
Hi, last night I was doing some videoing of Mobula rays doing their crazy jumps and spins off the beach where I now live in Mexico. 30% battery warning comes on, being only about 200 meters out I waited another 3 minutes, started to fly back, then battery suddenly went dead about 100 meters out. Plunged straight into the sea 100 meters out. I have the GPS coordinates and hope to have a diver help me this morning. Obviously the drone is toast, but what are the chances that the memory card is intact? I ordered the new Air 2 last week, funny how things work out... :confused:

Hi, last night I was doing some videoing of Mobula rays doing their crazy jumps and spins off the beach where I now live in Mexico. 30% battery warning comes on, being only about 200 meters out I waited another 3 minutes, started to fly back, then battery suddenly went dead about 100 meters out. Plunged straight into the sea 100 meters out. I have the GPS coordinates and hope to have a diver help me this morning. Obviously the drone is toast, but what are the chances that the memory card is intact? I ordered the new Air 2 last week, funny how things work out...
SD cards easily survive a few weeks in salt water.
If you were still videoing when the bird went down, that video file will not be closed off and won't be readable without some remedial action.
If you shot several video files, the earlier ones will be fine.
If you want to see what the recorded flight data shows about the incident and confirm the likely search location, , post the .txt file here.

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks! Absolutely spot on. Retrieved the drone (perfect GPS location) but only 1 single video file which I can't read. What's the best software to fix that? Thanks again.
SD cards easily survive a few weeks in salt water.
If you were still videoing when the bird went down, that video file will not be closed off and won't be readable without some remedial action.
If you shot several video files, the earlier ones will be fine.
If you want to see what the recorded flight data shows about the incident and confirm the likely search location, , post the .txt file here.

Reactions: Royr1957
Low battery warnings should be taken seriously. If the battery is completely 100% good and new, then it can be easily drained to 10% in the air, but who can be 100% sure. It would be interesting to see the battery performance in the Air data.

YES! YES! YES! Drone was retrieved yesterday, MOV file was corrupt didn't want to play. Tried all kinds of software then read that if I could get the drone to boot up again with the card in, it may close that file. I had to physically bend the old battery out with a screwdriver in order to push the spare in (seamed swollen?). And it started up! Shut it down after 1 min, and behold the file size had slightly increased and played perfectly! Drone itself had lots of warning lights going on and the camera was twisting in all directions, never came to a stop. Main red warning was about bad transmission. Would no get ready for flight, but that's okay. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! So happy to have my files back (some cool footage!) and my new Air 2 arrives next week. Cheers!
100473829_3297835100273241_2005716827782512640_o.jpg

YES! YES! YES! Drone was retrieved yesterday, MOV file was corrupt didn't want to play. Tried all kinds of software then read that if I could get the drone to boot up again with the card in, it may close that file. I had to physically bend the old battery out with a screwdriver in order to push the spare in (seamed swollen?). And it started up! Shut it down after 1 min, and behold the file size had slightly increased and played perfectly! Drone itself had lots of warning lights going on and the camera was twisting in all directions, never came to a stop. Main red warning was about bad transmission. Would no get ready for flight, but that's okay. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! So happy to have my files back (some cool footage!) and my new Air 2 arrives next week. Cheers!
View attachment 118766
Glad it worked out. Looks so good, shame it will disintegrate. Please get Care Refresh, Air 2, and use a retrieval float (GetterBack) over water. Have Fun!

Reactions: Royr1957 and stenth
I've seen video of those lipo batteries catching fire when they hit the water. Recovered by looking for bubbles and smoke. Lucky yours just swelled. ?

• Haha
Reactions: stenth
Glad it worked out. Looks so good, shame it will disintegrate. Please get Care Refresh, Air 2, and use a retrieval float (GetterBack) over water. Have Fun!
Yes, I will! I live in the yellow house in the background so much of my fly time will be over water. We have whales, dolphins, and all kinds of rays passing by. Cheers!

Reactions: Capt KO
Yes, I will! I live in the yellow house in the background so much of my fly time will be over water. We have whales, dolphins, and all kinds of rays passing by. Cheers!
Awesome! Jealous of the location. Just find a way to retreve your next one too.?

• Wow
Excellet that you managed to get that file. Sorry for the Phantom which is my favorit drone.

Oof, mine was fried after a 10 second dip in a swimming pool. Sorry it happened!
I guess it can happen, but hard to believe. I mean I tested mine quiet a few times when I first started flying. One time was 3 days under a waterfall. It still flies. Batteries go fast. Lol One lasted 40 minutes. I found it in clear water still with the lights blinking.

I guess it can happen, but hard to believe. I mean I tested mine quiet a few times when I first started flying. One time was 3 days under a waterfall. It still flies. Batteries go fast. Lol One lasted 40 minutes. I found it in clear water still with the lights blinking.
I get it, check my post history with pics if you need proof. I wish it worked still, but I guess it gave me the reason to upgrade at the time.

WD40!! I dropped an oscilloscope off a gangplank into the sea. Took a couple of hours to retrieve but doused it in WD40, blow dried all the circuit boards, good as new!!
Douse all the circuits with WD40. bit late mind you! Next time ??

WD40!! I dropped an oscilloscope off a gangplank into the sea. Took a couple of hours to retrieve but doused it in WD40, blow dried all the circuit boards, good as new!!
Douse all the circuits with WD40. bit late mind you! Next time ??
But 3 days in salt water - WD40 can not do magic. It is futile.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic