P3 Std took a swim - puff of smoke when it came out

Reaction score
hi there! I have a P3 Standard that I've really been enjoying. I'm a professional cameraperson, and wanted to get into the drone scene. I've been flying it for a while, and even have been inside to repair it after a small crash. SO I'm not shy of cracking it open.

So here's the story. I was flying CAREFULLY over water (yes, yes, I know I know...). A gust of wind blew the P3 into a tree, and it went into the (fresh) water. It took me about five minutes to get to it, and the LEDs were still flashing. I pulled it out of the water, but before I could pull out the battery, I heard a sizzle and a little puff of smoke came out of the right side (with the camera pointing away from me).

I didn't have my tools, so I dried as best as I could with canned air. I know that the battery is hosed, but I don't know if the drone is repairable or not. I thought I'd ask here before opening it up whether anyone has had this puff of smoke experience - and how weird was it that the lights were still flashing underwater? I've read some forums on the topic, and it seems like some people are able to bring these guys back to life. Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice!

What life would it have if you could revive it.
Wouldn’t trust it one minute.
Start over with one that can’t swim.
Just a thought?

Fresh water gives you a great chance of getting her back in the air. Even the battery should be ok after a good drying.

I would crack the shell and see what clues you might get about the puffing. Was it trying to spin the props and cooked an ESC perhaps?

hi there! I have a P3 Standard that I've really been enjoying. I'm a professional cameraperson, and wanted to get into the drone scene. I've been flying it for a while, and even have been inside to repair it after a small crash. SO I'm not shy of cracking it open.

So here's the story. I was flying CAREFULLY over water (yes, yes, I know I know...). A gust of wind blew the P3 into a tree, and it went into the (fresh) water. It took me about five minutes to get to it, and the LEDs were still flashing. I pulled it out of the water, but before I could pull out the battery, I heard a sizzle and a little puff of smoke came out of the right side (with the camera pointing away from me).

I didn't have my tools, so I dried as best as I could with canned air. I know that the battery is hosed, but I don't know if the drone is repairable or not. I thought I'd ask here before opening it up whether anyone has had this puff of smoke experience - and how weird was it that the lights were still flashing underwater? I've read some forums on the topic, and it seems like some people are able to bring these guys back to life. Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice!

Exact same thing happened to my PS3. I live by a small lake and bringing drone back in to land through an approximate 20 foot gap between trees - a gust of wind blew it against branches - dropped into 18" water at edge of lake and I grabbed it as fast as possible. No lights underwater though. Immediately pulled battery out but was too late as battery started oozing a light red colored paste stuff. Removed the top shell from drone - shook it very gently - upside down as well - and placed it in the sun - approx 80 degree temp - and left it out all day to dry. After a couple of days I popped in another battery and tried to start it. All I could hear was a tiny barely perceptible click and nothing happened. Used a fan to pull out any remaining moisture. Still nothing other than the click. Video was saved on the SD card. After a few days I gave up. Purchased a used drone minus camera on E Bay. Switched camera to used drone and everything has been working fine. I have saved the drowned drone for any parts that may be unaffected by it's underwater adventure. Must confess though I did not experience the puff of smoke that you had to deal with.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl