P3 STANDARD - LOOKING FOR A SIMPLE ANTENNA MOD, NOTHING EARTH SHATTERING

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to increase 2.4 FPV and 5.8 Controller up to about a mile or so, maybe a little less. I'm in a rugged mountainous are and just want to maintain a good strong signal to 3/4 or 1 mile. Anyone with ideas please post on this. I really don't want to butcher the controller like some of the mods do out there.

I made a windsurfer Antena. Ive heard so many good things about it. Ama be honest it did absolutely nothing for me. Not even a bit. But give it a try you never know

Isn't that just for the 5.8 Control frequency? Or is that antenna also used for the 2.4 Wifi FPV? Will it boost both FPV 2.4 and The 5.8 controller frequency? I'm a little confused on that.

Isn't that just for the 5.8 Control frequency? Or is that antenna also used for the 2.4 Wifi FPV? Will it boost both FPV 2.4 and The 5.8 controller frequency? I'm a little confused on that.
It dont matter. Either one will receive better signal, it doesnt boost the signal but it reads it better coming back

I made a windsurfer Antena. Ive heard so many good things about it. Ama be honest it did absolutely nothing for me. Not even a bit. But give it a try you never know
The windsurfer plans floating around you make out of paper don't even hold a candle to his 3-d printed designs. I have tried both and I have not even maxed out my range with the Phantom 3 Pro version from the same seller. Maybe you need to watch this video :

Reactions: Andy Thomas
people ask for standard antenna mods most people reply for mods with advance or pro, two total different antenna systems... this doesnt mean it will get same benefits with the standard. The Advance and Pro uses two external antennas, the standard has one external and two internal..

people ask for standard antenna mods most people reply for mods with advance or pro, two total different antenna systems... this doesnt mean it will get same benefits with the standard. The Advance and Pro uses two external antennas, the standard has one external and two internal..
What mod that was suggested is only for the Pro/Advanced?

What mod that was suggested is only for the Pro/Advanced?

didnt mean suggested were only for advanced/pro but lots of people reply about results on their advanced / pro in most of these antenna mod threads.

Im not sure what your definition of butchering the rc is but I installed a DBS and it works really well. I think the RC looks good with is on. Its not invasive and it doesn't look like im listening for aliens either

Reactions: Long range Jim
The windsurfer plans floating around you make out of paper don't even hold a candle to his 3-d printed designs. I have tried both and I have not even maxed out my range with the Phantom 3 Pro version from the same seller. Maybe you need to watch this video :

I made the windsurfer antenna using the template here: antenna - Tom's Tech Time

It definitely helped with RC range but I haven't maxed it out yet. As far as I'm aware these windsurfer mods only help 5.8 ghz r/c range by targetting that antenna.

Get the DBSmod, it's easy to do and you will never have to worry about range again.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There is a whole post on here about the ArgTek. I have ordered one. Not here yet and people are starting to post results. Looks good so far.

I have gone out a mile on mine. (Standard) (no Mod) Everytime I get out that far I lose my video.
1 mile is far enough for me anyway, but the video is what I want.
Remote works on 5.8 Freq. while the video works on the 2.4 freq. I think the PRO and the ADVANCE both work only off the 2.4 freq.
Therefore if its a range thing with the standard, I am not so sure that the Pro/Adv mods would be much help for the Standard control range, maybe for video?.

Do I got this right? Or do I got this all screwed up?

Mike

I have since purchased and installed the ARGtek mod for my Standard. Now I get the FPV video constantly at 3000-4000 ft.
You do NOT have to make any modifications to your controller with this mod.
I don't think you will get the same results in distance as you would with the DBSmod.

I made the windsurfer antenna using the template here: antenna - Tom's Tech Time

It definitely helped with RC range but I haven't maxed it out yet. As far as I'm aware these windsurfer mods only help 5.8 ghz r/c range by targetting that antenna.

The windsurfer was my first stop in range extenders. You must be aware they are very very directional. A couple of degrees off aim and signal is dropped. It only helps the 5.8GHz control portion of the system. Telemetry and video come from the 2.4GHz antennas mounted internally. I have used the 3D printed varieties and paper ones off of Tom's TT pattern, lots of both actually. My experience has been best with the paper version, but that was one of several made. They have all worked to some degree. I found that very very small differences in the focal point (differences of just 1/16" or so) make very big differences in performance. I also found Copper sheet works great but it must be very smooth with no dimples or creases. Make several and experiment with them, they are very cheap to make. When your hooked on getting better ranges, look at modifying the controller. I think most people move in that direction sooner or later.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl