P3 P/A battery and P3S

Reaction score
I have a brand new battery with firmware 1.9.60 ( P/A ) , when I put it in my P3S ( firmware 1.9.20 ) I get " broken cell " in the details under the battery section , I haven't flown with this battery yet , any thoughts .

I would send it back if it were mine. No sense taking a chance with it if you can return it.

sent the first one back , got refund from Amazon , company persistently emailed me until I excepted a free replacement , same thing with second battery -- broken cell shows under battery details but no warning on main screen of GO APP , I think it's firmware related , if I could downgrade just the battery firmware there probably be no " broken cell " , probably won't show up if I had a P3P or P3A , voltages are all equal , I suspect everyone of those batteries would show broken cell in a P3S , waiting to hear back from the company .

what's confusing is how they got that firmware on the battery when the current one is 1.9.20 Is this a genuine DJI battery or aftermarket ?

aftermarket , it has the firmware for the Advanced/ Pro
I see, can you message them and let them know you need one with standard firmware? I only buy DJI batteries for this exact reason Id be livid if I got two batteries I couldn't use. for me its worth spending the extra for problem free transaction.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I think they sell 95% of their batteries to Pro/ Advanced owners so that's the firmware they put on it , here's their response today :
Once you check the battery remaining power display status, "Cell broken" words will be showed. (not flight status ).But you can rest assured that it will not affect the normal use in flight, this is just a problem of compatible program. We are responsible for safe flight.

We check four cells are the same voltage. 4.25V

I'm going to hover it around the backyard and watch the battery status and check it on AirData

Flew a perfectly normal flight with no problems , cell voltage all equal the whole test flight , no deviations showing on AirData , just the P3S giving a false broken cell warning in the details section of battery info in the GO APP due to firmware for the P3A / P3P on the battery

Reactions: Neon Euc
Flew a perfectly normal flight with no problems , cell voltage all equal the whole test flight , no deviations showing on AirData , just the P3S giving a false broken cell warning in the details section of battery info in the GO APP due to firmware for the P3A / P3P on the battery
awesome Id keep an eye on it just to be safe for a couple more flights if all cells even though definitely gotta be a software issue. best of luck with it brother

I have 2 OEM batteries for my P3S & one battery has 2 cells that are slightly below the other two. I get an annoying "Bad Battery" warning although the drone seems to work OK. I found this battery balancer/charger on eBay & although the connector is wrong I can get the right one for $8.00. Is anyone familiar with these 'battery balancers'?

The description says:
This is a original replacement DJI Phantom LiPo/LiFe AC Balance Battery Charger.
Specifications:
Charger AC Input:
100-240V
Charge Current: 1A/2A/3A
Current Drain for Balancing: 200mA
Power: 20W
Battery Type: LiPo/LiFe

View attachment 89080
the charger that came with your drone is said to balance your cells all my multi packs have their own balance leads for each cell. not sure if they are getting this done through the onboard PCB or not. what I would do if I were you first is fully discharge the battery through use then charge it back up and check the cells in the app sometimes if you run a battery for a 5 min flight here and there and are recharging between those uses you can get a cell difference but it shouldn't be bad. an acceptable range is 1-2 tents of a volt so if you have 3.9 3.8 3.9 as an example your fine what you don't want to see is 3.8 3.4 4.0 those are to far off for the most part cells will usually stay the same but as they age they will start going astray

Last edited:
I will keep an eye on it , it's no loss if it goes bad since it was free :)
I wonder how come no one has figured out how to reset these batteries yet. lol people love hacking into this type of stuff back in the day we were all hacking the programing of some RC stuff mostly controllers and making them fly other planes and helicopters then they were intended for.

I wonder how come no one has figured out how to reset these batteries yet. lol people love hacking into this type of stuff back in the day we were all hacking the programing of some RC stuff mostly controllers and making them fly other planes and helicopters then they were intended for.

If they were easy to hack & fix Dji wouldn't sell as many overpriced batteries.

Is anyone using aftermarket batteries and how are they working? Brands? Where did you buy them?

Reactions: epicdoom
If they were easy to hack & fix Dji wouldn't sell as many overpriced batteries.

Is anyone using aftermarket batteries and how are they working? Brands? Where did you buy them?
almost everything can be hacked I'm sure someone will figure it out. I do know for sure there are folks already into DJIs drone firmware. ;)

I was sitting here thinking about batteries and remembered something interesting and thought about your problem right away. I have a P3S and the P3-4K both run on totally different firmware P3S is 1.9.20 the P3-4K uses 1.5.40 I use my batteries in both drones swapping back and forth and I've never seen a broken cell warning on any of the 10 batteries I have. I know you have the battery working I just found that a bit odd further I've lent my nephew who has the P3S some of my batteries after being used in my P3-4K and he's never said anything about a broken cell warning as well.

I was sitting here thinking about batteries and remembered something interesting and thought about your problem right away. I have a P3S and the P3-4K both run on totally different firmware P3S is 1.9.20 the P3-4K uses 1.5.40 I use my batteries in both drones swapping back and forth and I've never seen a broken cell warning on any of the 10 batteries I have. I know you have the battery working I just found that a bit odd further I've lent my nephew who has the P3S some of my batteries after being used in my P3-4K and he's never said anything about a broken cell warning as well.
I was hoping other members would chime - in with similar experiences , but I guess not , you have to check the details - under battery - advanced section , I never did that with my OEM battery until now , it says good connection on that one , no warning shows on the main screen

Reactions: epicdoom
yep I check my batteries before I fly every flight, I go into that tab to make sure all my cells charged up evenly from the charge up just hours before the flight. I've got my nephew doing the same thing. I'm a very OCD thorough type person. Not trying to get you worried or anything just was sitting here thinking about the batteries on these drones and I remembered I do use my batteries for both drones

Just Wednesday I was flying my P3S. I only have the battery that came with it and I had not updated at that time. I got a message of a damaged battery. I thought it strange, so I landed and turned everything off, then restarted and everything was fine. I find it weird that people with aftermarket batteries and me with a stock one are having this issue. I just updated the P3S to the 1.9.20 (or whatever it is) and have not flown yet. I am interested in getting new batteries, but I am a firm believer that the DJI batteries are criminally priced, especially when I can buy a 4s 5000mah for $50. I am following this in hopes that aftermarket batteries will work with the new update.

I agree with you on the battery Price Brother, I have 10 batteries one came with each drone the P3P and the P34K and I have bought the other 8 at $107.00 each I see a lot of advertisement for 2 at that price in aftermarket batteries. Believe me its always tempting to just buy the better value. I'm just hesitant with some of the stuff I've read. I have read some good things for sure, but much of what I have seen was bad. when I was a younger man Id have said H*LL with it I'm going for it, my adventurous side is gone, a product of old age or wisdom one or the other, I'm banking on old age lol

I agree with you on the battery Price Brother, I have 10 batteries one came with each drone the P3P and the P34K and I have bought the other 8 at $107.00 each I see a lot of advertisement for 2 at that price in aftermarket batteries. Believe me its always tempting to just buy the better value. I'm just hesitant with some of the stuff I've read. I have read some good things for sure, but much of what I have seen was bad. when I was a younger man Id have said H*LL with it I'm going for it, my adventurous side is gone, a product of old age or wisdom one or the other, I'm banking on old age lol
I have seen some saying they work after the update and others not working. Then I'm seeing some say that the batteries stop working after 3-4 charges. I guess I'll be spending full price. Ugh $100/battery is hard to drink

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel