P3 or inspire

Reaction score
I sold all of my p2 vision stuff. Question is should I get a p3 ore inspire. Looking to get close to buildings for inspections and the like. I like the idea of the 360 gimble on the inspire so I can keep the bird oriented forward backward and rotate the camera. Plus I can get one now. But p3 is less expensive. Should I wait and get a p3. Will there be a lot of bugs to work out with p3. Any feedback welcome. Price is not the deciding factor. Also inspire batteries are available

I recently did my CASA Certification/Licence, and the company teaching us brought along an Inspire 1.
They told us we may as well see one in the flesh, because we'll all end up buying one. They weren't joking.
I loved it before I saw it and flew it. Now I've seen it and flown it, I'd sell a kidney to buy one.
I fly a very highly modded P2 that gets the same range as the P3, and can shoot in 4K like the P3, but I'll be buying an Inspire not a P3.
Nearly the entire class decided the same thing.
There's a reason they're a lot dearer than the P3. The P3 looks to be quite a good little bird, but the Inspire is leagues above it. And flying one is just a dream. I doubt the P3 is all that much more amazing to fly than a P2, but the Inspire definitely is.

Reactions: ctp
Were you happy with the P2 platform overall?

The inspire:
is much larger (more difficult to transport)
has shorter flight times
is more complicated (more moving parts that can fail)
might be slightly quieter (need to see them flying side b side to verify)
has extra batteries available now
can utilize two operators, one to focus on flying, one to focus on videography
comes with an excellent hard case

The P3:
has essentially the same camera (professional)
can fit in a backpack and airline carry on

Does that help?

They are both good and have the same camera.
P3 is brand new but batteries etc will be available soon.
As well as costing (a lot) more, the Inspire is a lot bulkier and less easy to carry around. It also gets shorter flight times.
The 360º camera of the Inspire is more for complex camera moves for creative video and it's simple enough to rotate the P3 for simple use like you propose.
If you are close to buildings maybe rotating the camera would be confusing because the view isn't where the drone is pointing and being close to obstacles you can't afford to be disorientated.
The big screen Lightbridge video they both use should be great for inspections.

Last edited:
P3 because of price, same camera, longer flight time, can get into tighter spaces, so easy to carry around especially if you have to walk any distance. I just can't justify the inspire. I know of 2 inspire owners who are selling theirs to get the p3 for all the reasons above. The retractable legs and props get in the way of the camera as much as the p3 which really disappointed them too.

Reactions: gingericeman
I've not flown an Inspire so I cannot compare them very well. I'd say the same is true of those that have flown the Inspire but not the P3. I can say that the flying characteristics of the P3 are very much better then the P2v. My P3 rock solid in flight. I hand catch all of the time and the P3 does not seem to move an inch when hovering (keep in mind... ultrasonics and downward facing camera like the Inspire). The P3 also uses the Pilot app which is leaps and bounds above the P2 app (again, same as the Inspire). You also plug in your phone or tablet to the P3 and it displays 720... like the Inspire. So even though the P3 looks like the prior Phantoms... I'd say it flies and acts more like the Inspire. Don't let those looks fool you.

Batteries should be available in 2-4 weeks.

Will you look more professional with an Inspire, certainly. I also have no doubt that it does fly much better then the P3. It also moves the landing gear out of the way for 360 shots. If price does not matter at all, why not go with the Inspire? If price was no issue I don't know why you'd even consider a P3.

Reactions: bbfpv
As people have stated, there are many more similarities between the two than there are differences. I think the big question is whether a 360 degrees rotating camera, slightly faster motors, two pilot operation, and retractable legs are worth $1000+ to you. If none of those will improve your workflow enough to justify the cost, get the P3.

Personally portability, GPS+GLONASS (meaning stability measured in centimeters instead of meters!) and longer flight times would have sold me on the P3 over the Inspire even if the price was exactly the same. I can climb a mountain with the P3 on my back. Not so much with the Inspire. So many things are the same between the two platforms. Right now the camera uses the same sensors, they both use Lightbridge (which, by itself, costs more than the entire P3), they both use the Pilot app, and they both have the visual positioning system. To me, who cares if the Inspire "looks more professional".

My two cents only. Your mileage may vary.

Is there anyone selling that has P3's in stock right now or is there still a month wait?
Thanks for the responses so far.

Is there anyone selling that has P3's in stock right now or is there still a month wait?
Thanks for the responses so far.
I can't speak for all the authorized vendors but I know DJI has changed the wait time on their website for the P3 Pro (no extra battery) to 7-10 days. Definitely not a month wait.

Well my Phantom days are over for now. I ordered an Inspire. will be here today. I think what sold me is the 360* camera rotation. getting close to tall buildings and keeping forward rearward orientation was a plus.
maybe after feedback comes in on the P3 I'll get another.

I'll agree with the others, close to building or structures is exactly where you would NOT want the camera you're flying off of pointed in a different direction than the front of the craft. Forget just once that left is now backward in relation to what you see on the screen (or more importantly that left is no longer left) and you could be in for some very expensive repairs.

Of course just because the camera can rotate doesn't mean you have to rotate it. But I think the big advantage the Inspire will have over the Phantom for structure survey is the additional weight and stability it offers thereby allowing it to remain stable in stronger winds..Going with an Inspire will mean there will be days when you'll still be able to fly and get your work done instead of waiting for calmer winds as you'd have to do if you had a Phantom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.