P3 mapping

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I had to produce some mapping for a site today.
I ended up with 18 images to stitch and the P3 is so sweet for this kind of task
Here's a much shrunken preliminary image from today's effort.
i-gcVJDPd-L.jpg

Nice! I have the same question as Nikon. This makes me thing what are another possibilities of using our phantoms, such as 3d mapping and so on. If sombody here is doing an interesting thing with phantom, please share!

I have PTGui also for my 'normal' photography. I will test it this week with my P3Pro. How much overlapping do you use? 30%?

And what lens profile settings do you use? 20mm and focus length?

I use either Photoshop or Microsoft ICE (free !!!) for stitching
Not sure what overlap is ... I just judge it by eye using the grid on the FPV screen.
I'd guess maybe 30%?
That's only a quick and dirty (and much shrunken) image.
The original is >11000 x 6000 pixels
No profile used .. stitched from original jpgs (complete with the blot at the bottom of the frame since firmware update) with no tweaking yet.

PTGUI IS AWESOME, I use it a lot. That said as far as proper orthorectified imagery is concerned it will be unacceptable, even the slightest deviations result in it being useless. There is an open source mapping software which is better suited for this kind of thing. 4dpixmapper (when the SDK is sorted out) with some open source GIS software will work. I will discuss my workflow when I get a chance later.

Last edited:
nice! What speed were you flying? I think at full speed it is a pic every 2ft?

Nice nice ;)! I'll try this later this week. :D
Just received my second battery and ordered a third.

I'm interested in doing some map stitching like this, as well. Has anyone had success matching their P3 with Pix4D? I can't get past the 'connect to Wifi' step in the app, and wondering if this means it doesn't actually sync with a P3. Would welcome any other advice for a mapping newb, as well. Cheers!

I can't get past the 'connect to Wifi' step in the app, and wondering if this means it doesn't actually sync with a P3.
You will have to be patient and wait for them to release a version for the P3.
There is no wifi on the P3 .. that message if for the P2 series which does have wifi.

Thanks Meta4! Looks like this thread was about a month old. Have you iterated on your mapping solution? Would love to learn more. Have an ambition to start stitching together a modern 'Lewis and Clark' map.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31