P3 Camera sharpness - That bad..?

Reaction score
Got some stills today from my new P3 Pro, captured in DNG and exported as JPG, qual 100% and no added sharpness, see attachment (from center of the image). I must say I'm quite dissapointed with performance of the camera, that is if this is how "bad" it should be.. Anyone else experience this poor quality?
Comparing to my friends Inspire, whose DNG is tack on sharp.
I hope I have missed out some focus setting or something, but I took it to be "infinity".
And, for the record; I was not expecting DSLR quality sharpness/resolution, bit this feel almost like there is something wrong with the lens/focus issue.

Please share your thoughts.

Attachments

• HR_01.jpg
    HR_01.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 702
Did you check the camera settings?

Yes, well, there are not much settings to check, as far as I can see. It's set to RAW for still images, and 4k @ 30fps for film. I also just discovered that it's unsharp in video..

There is a very big difference in low light, ISO goes up and shutter speed down. By about 500 ISO and 1/25th sec sharpness is fairly poor. The sensor is very small so poor high ISO performance is inevitable. You should be able to access the exif information when using a photo editor.

There is a very big difference in low light, ISO goes up and shutter speed down. By about 500 ISO and 1/25th sec sharpness is fairly poor. The sensor is very small so poor high ISO performance is inevitable. You should be able to access the exif information when using a photo editor.

That is very true.. However, the picture was shot during the best of conditions; ISO 100 @ 1/1250 sec. I'm also aware of the noise level you get with a sensor this small, and that's ok, but it most definetely is something weird with the focus/lens in this case. Thanks for your reply never the less.

You can adjust sharpness, contrast, and saturation under the "Style" tab in the camera settings menu. It's set to "None" by default. If you click it and then click "Custom", you'll be able to adjust those things. Maybe that will help you get what you're looking for?

I will look into that, thanks for the tip. However, the DNG which is a raw format should not be effected by those settings, simply so that one should be able to adjust sharpness, sat etc in post instead. The style settings you mention should only apply to JPG that the camera generate, which is based on the DNG. Problem is, the DNG looks just like as i posted, and there is no way to recover descent sharpness in that image. Anyway, I'll look into your proposal. Thanks again.

It should be sharper than that! That image not even close to sharp. I would contact tech support & either have them figure it out or have them send you a new one. For a image shot in that light level, it should not need any sharpening. Good luck with figuring it out or getting a replacement.

I have exactly the same problem; whilst video is pin sharp, stills taken on the same day are awful, with lots of colour bleed and blocky pixelation. Example below. I wish I knew what I'm doing wrong.
DJI_0008.JPG
DJI_0008.JPG

It's not difficult to believe that DJI are setting the image performance of the P3 firmly below the Inspire for a reason.

The camera on the P3 is definitely the weak link in what seems to be a really solid package all round.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers