P3 battery life cycles

Reaction score
Hi, how many cycles are you guys coming to with P3. It is pretty soon for anyone to reach 50 cycles I know, only wanna share the experience with new battery. I am at 11 cycles now. As far as I know, P2 batteries are bad at 50 cycles. Any thoughts on this topic?

I think we need one more of these threads. Who wants to make one?

Hi guys, I was about to create a similar topic related to battery life and best practices to prolong Lipo Battery life. I found in many places tips about not store the battery fully charged for more than 2-10 days, and perform a full recycle (~4% to 100%) around every 20 cycles.

But I was advised by a hobbyist guy who flies helicopters to avoid discharging Lipo Battery bellow to 40% of it's capacity. I didn't find anything about this in Phantom's manual.

Does anyone know if this is valid for Phantom's intelligent battery ??

Hi guys, I was about to create a similar topic related to battery life and best practices to prolong Lipo Battery life. I found in many places tips about not store the battery fully charged for more than 2-10 days, and perform a full recycle (~4% to 100%) around every 20 cycles.

But I was advised by a hobbyist guy who flies helicopters to avoid discharging Lipo Battery bellow to 40% of it's capacity. I didn't find anything about this in Phantom's manual.

Does anyone know if this is valid for Phantom's intelligent battery ??
http://download.dji-innovations.com...igent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf

Hi bbfpv, thanks. This manual has the following advise:
"Never over-discharge, as this may lead to battery cell damage.".
But it does not define a threshold, like 30% or 40%.

Furthermore, "Never over discharge" seems to be conflicting with the full discharge/charge for every 20 cycles to me.

Well, talking about threshold, we have a default 30% for low battery in DJI pilot, but I understood that this is a threshold to bring the bird back in safety, not necessarily to protect the battery, what do you think? 30%is OK?

Last edited:
Hi bbfpv, thanks. This manual has the following advise:
"Never over-discharge, as this may lead to battery cell damage.".
But it does not define a threshold, like 30% or 40%.

Furthermore, "Never over discharge" seems to be conflicting with the full discharge/charge for every 20 cycles to me.

Well, talking about threshold, we have a default 30% for low battery in DJI pilot, but I understood that this is a threshold to bring the bird back in safety, not necessarily to protect the battery, what do you think? 30%is OK?
You need to cycle the battery every 20ish runs, so "don't over discharge" means on a regular basis. I fly to approx 30% every run, basically I come home when the alarm sounds unless I'm way out in which case I watch the battery meter on the top of the screen and head home when H is around 30%.

My P2 had 4/5 bad OEM batteries.
I followed the 8% 20 cycle rule. The 4 bad batteries had only average of 30cycs and was auto landing and puffing up. I was told that this was to "recalibrate" the battery percentage meter on your app so the readings would be correct.
However I was told that many RC hobbiest say this is NOT good for the battery. The RC guys also said they never let it go down to 30%.

I wonder where the best procedure really lies? In between the big differences? I'm conditioning my only battery now......... 10 flights to 50-60% then charge to full. Flying for only 10 minutes at a time sucks lol!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Hi decided to take mine to 8% yesterday. I thought I would cycle it properly. After charging it, only showed 98% ?

So is it necessary for under 8% discharge LOL. Do as your heart says or manufacturer says?

If you where to discharge to 0%, your at the lowest voltage per cell. How these batteries work is you will never discharge them below the lowest voltage usable voltage. The battery is taken into account the usable power level not the percentage of power left in the battery. These smart batteries don't work like ordinary lipos and it's not possible to take these batteries down so far it makes them unable. They are protected to prevent you taking it so low to as to destroy your battery. The discharge every 20 cycles recalibrates the chips, as the voltage chips need re calibrating to prevent digital memory. After a while the voltage regulating chips get out of sync and don't register the proper voltage after awhile, so won't properly charge and maintain voltage and balance the cells properly. The chips gain in time digtial memory, which is like how the older battery tech, they needed deep discharges to clear the memory effect and recalibrate the battery the same applies to all smart batteries. You can never discharge these batteries to the point of not being of use, they have protection in the batteries to prevent this, so a 0% would I think the min is 3.2 volts per cell and would not allow you to go under. An 8% or less discharge your still well within safe limits.

Reactions: zincsoldier
Has anyone used, or know much about, the SPCP3 smart charger? It charges or deep cycles 4 batteries at on time, supposedly the deep cycle discharges to 8% then automatically recharges to full capacity. What I would like to know is, does this process extend the batteries life? At $630 :eek: (here in Aus) is it worth investing in the smart charger, or would it be better to buy three more batteries for roughly the same price (Aus$205 each)? :confused: Any thoughts would be great...

doh, so many common thought in here, LOL
not intend to say noobs to someone.

i OFTEN, or discharge lipo to 3.2 or 5% capacity many times, but none of my lipos are puffed up or anything,
i got many lipos batteries and some of them already past 200++ times cycles, none of them are puffed beacuse i discharged it to 5%
but the flight time reduce up to 40-50% (that is because of 200 cycles)

if your's getting puffed up, then it's clearly that you often charged it when the lipo still hot after used, let the lipo rest or cooled up about 10-20 minutes, or you can use fan or someting to cool it down dude

i live in tropical country, and average temperature here is about 32-37 degree celcius
why none of my lipo are puffed up? simply because i run that procedure that i already explain earlier

for p3 lipo, it clearly that you should discharge to 8% after 20 cycles in order to reset the intelegent board,
IF NOT, then you will got wrong reading about percentage and that is really serious problem since dji go app measure capacity and when you got wrong measurement from dji app, then you got ****, and guess play will not help since the app will force land or RTH.
of course forced RTH can be cancelled, but when reached forced landing, it will difficult to keep it in air since you must apply about 90% throttle to get it hover, and to make it worse what if there is some gust wind and it will END

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.