P-4 for sheriffs search and Rescue work

Reaction score
Hi, lm very new to any drone, I'm the co. For the sheriffs air SAR unit and also a pilot and a medic. I saw the need for the drones in SAR last yr. and got a new P4, I like it a lot and it has a home in Air SAR. But I'm old school and now seem to have green lines in the images. It also has to be stopped to see an image. I need to find the answer fast as I have been asked to start 16 more counties in Oregon with there own Air SAR unit and I also wish to add a drone unit to each. I really need someone who knows what they are doing.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum Paul.

Many of us have been doing SAR work with UAS for a while but I honestly can't answer your question about "Green lines".

What do you mean "has to be stopped to see an image?"

What Ap are you using for SAR work? Are you broadcasting the video image live to another device? Tell us more about what you're doing or trying to do and we will try to help you to the best of our ability.

Reactions: dirkclod and sar104
Sounds like you are using an Android device with the P4. I'd try an iPad Air 2 or better an iPad Pro 9.7" model to help minimize the green lines that are usual with the Androids. DJI has some sloppy coding in the Android (A lot of Java errors were posted in the DJI forum.) that haven't been addressed well over the years where Apple uses less of that and less background resources operating so it runs better and more smoothly. Java keeps changing and DJI seems to be a bit slow to get with the program. Not to mention all the damage done to various Android devices by whatever company modifies the basic OS (e.g. Samsung = Yuck.).

If I were to spec one out for SAR, I'd look to a brand that is not geofenced as with the DJI. Could be times where you would be low but maybe too close to some NFZ for whatever reason that would hamper the search. The geofencing, as with the public sector DJI drones, may get more severe in time and then you might not be able to use the device someplace. Maybe an Aerialtronics Altura-Zenith with a thermal and vision camera combo (Pricey!) that you can switch between in flight?

You might ask the Grand Canyon National Park what drones they are using for their SAR missions. I believe they are the only National Park to have a fleet and six operators for SAR. I'd imagine they are all unlocked and not geofenced.

These people might help too: Drone SAR Pilot – Software that saves lives

Good luck.

Reactions: BigAl07
Reactions: dirkclod and GMack
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj