Oregon State Parks?

Reaction score
I can't seem to find anything online about Oregon drone laws, or for Oregon State Park drone laws. Does anyone have any official insight? I know I'm Washington you cannot fly in any state park without permission, it's a blanket coverage law for all state parks. I just want to make sure I'm following the laws.

I captured some great Oregon coastal footage. I stopped at the outside of a Oregon State Park and flew my drone. Before I did, I drove in the park, looked at the regulations and found no regulations forbidding the use of UAS or any other form of aircraft. If there we're any such laws, I would have A LOT of questions as to the legality of them enforced along the coast. For instance, how can you stop a drone from being flown over a State Park and not a helicopter, plane, blah, blah, blah? Second, how high up would a State Park legally claim as their airspace? Third, how far out in the ocean would the State Park claim as their's? And a whole lot more.

I just got an email answer to the question of rules for drones in OR state parks directly from them. The answer I got was: "At his point, you would have to check with each park. We are still working on state wide rules for drones." So I guess call before you go is the rule in OR.

Smith Rock State Park (north of Bend, in central Oregon) has explicitly banned drones. (There were 'no drones' signs there when I visited last year.) Other Oregon State Parks - I don't know...

I just bought a P3S last week and was really looking forward to doing some scenic shots in the area close to home. I saw a break in the rain and went up to the Vista House in the Columbia River Gorge, didn't realize until I returned that I was breaking the "Rules". Link below;

History/FAQ - Dabney State Recreation Area - Oregon State Parks and Recreation

Interesting. I don't really fly in this area, but will investigate these rules. I was unaware of any Oregon drone rules at all untill reading this and I'm constantly searching. Any of these state rules must be approved by the FAA, so I'm courious if they are. There are several states ATM trying to make their own laws on drones. Overall, these rules look to be fair, but who is making these rules? It's surely not the FAA, they all ready have.

Interesting. I don't really fly in this area, but will investigate these rules. I was unaware of any Oregon drone rules at all untill reading this and I'm constantly searching. Any of these state rules must be approved by the FAA, so I'm courious if they are. There are several states ATM trying to make their own laws on drones. Overall, these rules look to be fair, but who is making these rules? It's surely not the FAA, they all ready have.

It's probably like any other "rule making agency", they might not win in a court of law but they can make things difficult for you during the process. At minimum they could restrict you (the operator) from being IN the park while operating but might not be able to prevent you from flying into the areas while the operator remains outside, good luck maintaining LOS operation though.

This is what I got back in regards to specific park.

Thanks for checking. This email covers the requested activity at Ecola State Park. Other OPRD properties, such as those with Snowy Plover Management Areas, will have different conditions and restrictions. Under no circumstances are UAS to be flown in Western Snowy Plover Management Areas from March 15 through September 15. Please see more information on Western Snowy Plover Management Areas here:Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: Stewardship Western Snowy Plover and the Oregon Coast

Unmanned Aircraft Systems are still new enough that we are managing their use with prudent requirements and good judgement rather than hard-and-fast rules. Generally, we look at whether a proposed activity involving UAS interferes with park visitors, threatens property, or could harm a natural/cultural resource.

Know Where to Fly

• UAS must be flown away from any structures, trees, or overhead obstacles.

• Flying must comply with all FAA regulations and guidance. Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Protecting Wildlife and the Environment

• Do not fly over or near wildlife. Intentionally disturbing animals during breeding, nesting, rearing, or other critical life functions is not allowed.

Fly Safely, Stay in Control

• Keep your UAS in your sight at all times.

• Keep your UAS away from populated and noise-sensitive areas such as campgrounds, trailheads, and visitor centers.

• Remain 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property including but not limited to parking lots, trail heads, restrooms, picnic shelters, park offices, park shop yards, park utility buildings, and heavily traveled roadways.

• Do not interfere with other recreational users; yield to people who were there before you.

• Obey all privacy laws.

Letting us know ahead of time is always the best idea, and is appreciated. As long as you follow the above guidelines, there should be no issue. One additional restriction: The refueling of UAS powered by petroleum products is not allowed on the beach, near water or in vegetation.

Please call if questions.

I just got an email answer to the question of rules for drones in OR state parks directly from them. The answer I got was: "At his point, you would have to check with each park. We are still working on state wide rules for drones." So I guess call before you go is the rule in OR.

This is the exact answer I got, and every park I have called to try and obtain permission has told me no. Army Corps of Engineers dept in my area has also told me no use of UAV on ANY of the lands or waters regulated by them (which is funny because there is actually a designated model aircraft flight site within a state park right on the reservoir that is regulated by Army Corps of Engineers).

Overall, doing the right thing (obtaining permission) is very frustrating in my area (Lane County).

A friend and I flew at the Shore Acres Oregon State Park near Coos Bay recently, we were nicely asked to stop flying by the staff. Apparently a drone pilot had flown his drone out to a nearby island were seals and sea lions mate and raise their young, the animals were very upset and the person was reported to officials. Unfortunately, this type of recless flying ruins it for those of us that are responsible flyers.

The staff told us legislation had been passed prohibiting drones in all Oregon state parks within the last year.. which I still need to research. Fortunately, there are still lots of beaches and spots along the coast that haven't prohibited drones..yet.

At least I was able to get some really nice footage of the park and coastline before we were asked to stop.

Smith Rock State Park (north of Bend, in central Oregon) has explicitly banned drones. (There were 'no drones' signs there when I visited last year.) Other Oregon State Parks - I don't know...

I recently got my first drone (P3 SE) and on a mid-week winter day took it out to Smith Rock to shoot some footage since I thought there wouldn't be a lot of people to annoy (there weren't). I specifically looked around for notices banning drone use and in the two most obvious places--billboard in the parking area and another down near the bridge--didn't see any. I know you stated these notices were there when you posted your message a few years ago, but again, they weren't really posted in the most obvious of places that I look. Having said that, I flew my drone for about 20 minutes or so and as I was packing it up, someone who works at the park came up and explained I couldn't do that, and that there were signs so stating. He was very nice, and I respected that. I told him I looked but didn't see any such signs and he agreed that they could do a much better job of making them more visual.

In any case, I got off with a warning and do have some footage. I understand the reasons he outlined as to why they are banned, and obviously, danger to the climbers is the No. 1 reason (no climbers the day I was there). But it really is frustrating that the places that have the best opportunities for good footage are the places pilots are banned from using their drones. I get that some people abuse piloting, but most of us are respectful of others and the cameras don't really have zoom (yet), so I believe alot of the resistance is from ignorance, false impressions and the over-use of video cameras and traffic cams in uban areas causing people to lose a sense of privacy.

Just one person's view.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik